Oilers mathematically eliminated for a NHL-tying record 10th straight year

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
"Just hang with us through 2004 when the league becomes a level playing field and we can be competitive with the bigger markets."

27G6VKd.gif

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
They were interviewing Lowe today but I immediately skipped it. I wish this guy would just step out of anything to do with the Oilers except as Alumni.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Chiarelli will have my entire support this off-season no matter which pieces he decides to ship out of town. (Besides McDavid obviously)

I'm hoping it won't be Yakupov for pennies but if that's the call he makes so be it.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Chiarelli will have my entire support this off-season no matter which pieces he decides to ship out of town. (Besides McDavid obviously)

I'm hoping it won't be Yakupov for pennies but if that's the call he makes so be it.

Like wise. He said he has a plan in place so if he follows through on it then it should be a very interesting draft and off season. I'm be very surprised if the current roster is almost the same next season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's sad and depressing, but really did anyone expect playoffs this year? I expected them to be in the 10th seed or thereabouts factoring in a relatively healthy season ... which is probably right around where they would have been without the freakishly long McDavid and Klefbom injuries.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
It sucks, but McDavid is in the bank and another blue chip prospect is looming in this draft.

Chia will be able to hit the ground running for next season.

Originally Posted By*

It's sad and depressing, but really did anyone expect playoffs this year? I expected them to be in the 10th seed or thereabouts factoring in a relatively healthy season ... which is probably right around where they would have been without the freakishly long McDavid and Klefbom injuries.

Lol !!

You think this roster is 10th seed material? Oh my god.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lol !!

Well with a completely healthy line up and McDavid playing the entire season? It wouldn't have been that crazy I suppose. But with so many injuries, not enough depth (especially on defense) and the inability to break those old habits, it wasn't surprising at all. :(

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Lol !!

Absolutely.

1. McDavid is creating at least a goal a game. Pretty explanatory that the Oilers missed him.
2. Klefbom is our #1 d-man, who can make a breakout pass. The ripple effect with his absence as everyone is now playing in a spot above their capabilities. Does not excuse the poor depth on the blueline, but it's not secret how much they miss him.
3. Those two cumulatively are likely worth 6-8 points which would put them in the 10th range in the NHL standings. And that's conservative.

The Oilers were getting Scrivens/Fasth level goaltending in the early part of the season which contributed to losses for games which otherwise should have been wins.

Obviously alot to do this summer, most importantly is fixing up the blueline. Having that said, Chia is in a position of strength, has the assets to make a move, the stars are aligned for a top pairing RD (Hamonic) who is restricting himself to Western Canada, and another bluechip prospect looming.

Encouraging times.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
When we break the record it should be forever known as the Kevin Lowe record.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol !!

You don't think having McDavid out for 37 games (best forward) and Klefbom (best d-man) for like 50 games doesn't work out to about 10 points lost, say 4 extra wins + 2 extra OT/SO losses?

Add ten points to their total as of today, now go look at the Western Conference standings and tell me which position they would be in.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
You don't think having McDavid out for 37 games (best forward) and Klefbom (best d-man) for like 50 games doesn't work out to about 10 points lost, say 4 extra wins + 2 extra OT/SO losses?

Add ten points to their total as of today, now go look at the Western Conference standings and tell me which position they would be in.

I'd like to believe that if healthy they'd be better. And honestly for sure they would have been.

But I believe in a higher power.

The Law of Oileritis. "Whatever needs to happen will happen for this team to suck balls."

And all I can comment about is what happened this year. And sure as the sun rising in the East. The Oilers sucked balls.

This team is a force of nature. Connor comes back and is playing great. What needs to happen to balance this out.. What has to happen for this team to keep sucking balls.....? Taylor Hall goes from playing like one of the best LW in the game to a complete non factor.. BAM.

Next year something else will happen.. Someone will step up.. Someone will regress.. someone will get hurt. How we get there is a mystery... where we go is not.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm not convinced this team will ever be bad.

Man, I WISH we were bad. It'd be a nice step up from horrendously awful in all facets of hockey.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So if we make a few trades and stay healthy... do we have a chance of not breaking this record? I'm feeling a we bit pessimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad