Oilers mathematically eliminated for a NHL-tying record 10th straight year

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
at this point who cares about the coulda, woulda, shoulda.

the reality is the oilers didn't win any of those games, don't have any more points, continue to be a laughing stock, and again are far from the playoffs.

injuries, bad luck, hockey gods, Katz running a clown show...whatever.
results based business, and there haven't been any. most teams slowly improve over time, but not Edmonton.

I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that we would've made the playoffs. The discussion was just based on how much injuries have cost us. Reality is that this team has a long ways to go even with the injury excuse.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Injuries have certainly killed this team once again. I'd like to think they are close to .500. Problem is this team just lacks that competitive nature on a consistent basis injury free or not. Those old habits, man. Here's to hoping chiarelli can do those major shake ups come the draft and off season.
I feel like guys like Maroon, McDavid and Davidson will rub off on the rest of them. Or at least i hope so.

From what Chia has said which was reaffirmed by McLellan is they don't have for much guys who just don't give enough of a **** to get better. They prefer hard workers who don't improve simply because they aren't skilled enough to improve

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern. :sarcasm:

Did you just out yourself, Kevin Lowe?

Playoffs next season? Unlikely. In fact, I'd put the chances at about 33.33%. It should be a goal for the team but it's still unlikely. Playoffs in 2018, baby!

McDeathbyCheerios*

Did you just out yourself, Kevin Lowe?

Playoffs next season? Unlikely. In fact, I'd put the chances at about 33.33%. It should be a goal for the team but it's still unlikely. Playoffs in 2018, baby!
They need to at least just miss playoffs and be competitive until the end

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Kevin Lowe, 2005...back then whenever his face came on the screen everyone was like "Hey's it's Lowe! Let's see what he has to say!"

dynamic_resize

Kevin Lowe, 11 years later...now when his face comes on the screen it is ONLY when someone needs him to talk about the Glory Days, and the fanbase screams as one "GET THE **** OFF MY SCREEN, YOU HACK!!"

kevin-lowe.jpg

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I feel like guys like Maroon, McDavid and Davidson will rub off on the rest of them. Or at least i hope so.

From what Chia has said which was reaffirmed by McLellan is they don't have for much guys who just don't give enough of a **** to get better. They prefer hard workers who don't improve simply because they aren't skilled enough to improve

And you just knew before last night's game that with a two game winning streak, they were just going to throw in the towel. The performance last night was like clockwork. There was like a 5% chance that they were going to come out hitting and backchecking instead of to play shinny.

That's why I think this team has a long long way to go yet - beyond just a Dman or two. Don't know what the answers all are, but if we stick with this core, have a feeling we'll be discussing this again in exactly one year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

And you just knew before last night's game that with a two game winning streak, they were just going to throw in the towel. The performance last night was like clockwork. There was like a 5% chance that they were going to come out hitting and backchecking instead of to play shinny.

That's why I think this team has a long long way to go yet - beyond just a Dman or two. Don't know what the answers all are, but if we stick with this core, have a feeling we'll be discussing this again in exactly one year.
I feel if they play like they did on the 2 wins to start the year they might keep it up. The games don't matter now so it's very easy to check out.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Fair enough, but why do you spend the effort anymore? I mean, why not move on.

The only thing that needs to move on is Lowe/MacT/Howson. It's to bad Daryl K doesn't have the balls to fire the men responsible for driving his team into the gutter. Having them linger around is sad and pathetic and shows how Mr. Katz' leadership from the top down is an issue.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
The only thing that needs to move on is Lowe/MacT/Howson. It's to bad Daryl K doesn't have the balls to fire the men responsible for driving his team into the gutter. Having them linger around is sad and pathetic and shows how Mr. Katz' leadership from the top down is an issue.

They havent even gotten Buchberger off the payroll yet, no way Lowe or MacT get moved out. Howson doesnt have a ring with the 80's Oil so that 2006 run might but wearing thin but I think they probably still have something for him.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

When you are out of the playoffs and facing a team fighting for a spot it's different.

Guys are trying to prove themselves, but the purpose of this point of the season is player development/evaluation.

If the Oilers were in the playoff hunt would Broissot have gotten the start last night?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
MacT will be a sacrificial lamb this summer. Howson will get punted too. Lowe will continue to putter around at the OEG.

I'll believe that when I see it. But, if it happens I will party more than McD lottery day and get sooooo f-----g drunk.

Please, Chia. Fires these guys just ... Because.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
the audacity Lowe has to still, even now, show his face on TV or make any sort of public appearance and SMILE on top of it all is remarkable. This man has no shame and is completely clueless. does anyone ever feel good or happy or anything remotely positive when they see his face flash across the screen. I mean what in the **** is this guy going to tell us?

also, they may indeed only be sacrificial lambs, but MacT and Howson should be gone - period. I don't care if they're capable scouts. Be gone.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Although I do understand it can be frustrating as **** to have to put up with this garbage product year after year, I do think we should step back and see things a little differently now. It's a different regime from the MacT/Lowe era and we probably shouldn't lump in whatever mess they brought into the organization with what Chiarelli's current aim is.

Like it or not, this is Year 1 again, but I have way more faith that this time the playoffs might actually be the end result.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
You don't think having McDavid out for 37 games (best forward) and Klefbom (best d-man) for like 50 games doesn't work out to about 10 points lost, say 4 extra wins + 2 extra OT/SO losses?

Add ten points to their total as of today, now go look at the Western Conference standings and tell me which position they would be in.

Except every team has their top players injured throughout the season. So in your hypothetical scenario, we should add 10 points to other team's records, leaving the Oilers in their same spot - last place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad