Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose to the Kings: Fire Chia Tonight

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There’s a lot wrong with this post. Manning was not a PTO he was signed July 1st. Also Petrovic and Larsson are not in the same tier of player. Nurse and Larsson were probably our two best players last night. Petrovic was on the ice for 3 goals against before the first period was up. Complete disaster.

Petrovic was often up against Kopitar line. He didn't have an easy outing and he was carrying around Manning who is a joke. Sorry about the PTO comment. With how bad the Oilers are I couldn't be bothered to double check. I knew he was without a contract. Anybody could have signed. Not that I would have.

The thing with Petrovic is its too early to judge. He's been thrown into the deep end here on a new team and being hit with top 4 minutes on a club he doesn't know and getting different D almost any night. There's been no opportunity here for him to stabilize. He's also playing on a team where he's getting no help. On the one GA he's the only one back and the entire team got caught on that one. He played the 2 on 1 as well as he could.

On the Toffoli goal the puck should have been out. That puck somehow goes back to Petrovic, sure he has a moment of panic, as Toffoli is all over him. Bad goal, sure, but how is that puck going back to Petrovic in that situation when the puck ought to have been cleared?

Petrovic also made solid plays preventing Liepsic and Kempe breakaways. He's akso been aggressive and punishing on the boards. Give him some more time. He isn't getting much of a chance right now due to Manning, and due to how poorly the team around him is playing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The lineup knows its a tirefire. Its why I say we have to get rid of Lucic. I don't care what it takes. He can't be in the dressingroom. Every dog f***er on this team is able to look down the bench and note Lucic is getting 6M longterm for mailing it in. That the org is even accepting that, keeping him constantly in the lineup, and the GM specifically signed this contract. Lucic is supposed to be a leader on this club, was hired for that, and is the biggest non performer on the club. That the Captain is even giving this player passing grades is unacceptable. As I stated elsewhere McD should be candid in another way regarding Lucic. He should be stating that we need more from our top paid winger, that we have to have more.

Lucic is just playing through the contract. This is his retirement contract, it always was, he's not looking for another one and he's getting paid. This guys only concern right now is quality of his remaining life and not getting his bell rung too much and being able to enjoy it. There is no way this player is dedicated or playing to his utmost. As long as we have a mailing it in Lucic it destroys any sense of depth performance. He's not even supposed to be depth. He's supposed to be one of the top producers here.

How much does it suck that I hated and despised Lucic all along. Now I have to watch him for years being a sad useless pile of suck. At what point are fans just going to start to JEER Lucic everytime he touches the puck. I really think it will take something like that to get some movement on this player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I tuned in to start the 2nd then tuned out after the 2nd, it was a good night. I really recommend Ozark on Netflix btw, Season 2 in particular which is great TV.

I just saw the Hitch presser and he didn't hold back one bit. Good, he's been putting lipstick on this pig for far too long (which I'm sure wasn't how he really felt) so good that he finally let loose his real feelings.

It's one thing to lack talent (which is obviously severely lacking on this team even when healthy) but it's another to lack talent and lack compete especially when they are in a, lol, playoff race. The team is rotten to the core from ownership to management to the players (A quote repeated annually the last 10 years) and I'm also questioning the leadership dynamic of this group big time including the top players. It's all just really really bad and I hate to say it, but I'm hoping for another humiliating loss tonight to really smack some sense into ownership, if that's at all possible.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
People talk about chemistry of a lineup. Its never been worse. Here we have on the team is two topten calibre producers. The trouble is theres nothing else other than Nuge left over from the previous regime. The entire supporting forward lineup is pick up sticks garbage. The gang that can't shoot straight. (with apology to Chiasson who has had an out of body experience). this was predictable. Once again in the offseason my comments were where are the goals in this lineup?

How revolting is it that our top system developed player is Khaira.

The worst part of this lineup is that theres been so much turnover in it, and so many new recruits that there is no identity, very little sense of team. Just a bunch of hired guns that backfire.

Honestly, look at the lineup anytime in 2019 and ask yourself what your thoughts would be on such a lineup occurring this year when Chia started 4yrs ago. Its astoundingly bad. This is the handiwork of an idiot.
No identity? Come on man, Hitch put together the famous “Identity line!”

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm also questioning the leadership dynamic of this group big time including the top players.
This is the scariest thing for me. The fact the team thought they could take a night off last night with where they’re at in the season is a big red flag.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is the scariest thing for me. The fact the team thought they could take a night off last night with where they’re at in the season is a big red flag.

I love McDavid and Draisaitl as players, phenomenal talents and the only reason to watch the team but I'm not sure that they hate losing enough. I'd like to see them get angry every now and then, smash a stick, communicate with teammates more, go off a bit in a presser or something. They just seem too casual with their approach IMO.
I probably said too much because it will invite a lot of criticism (rightfully so) and I realize that they are the only real talent that this team has and we're extremely blessed to have them. I guess it's just a matter of not everybody being built to be a leader.

With that said, they are clearly the least of the problems to state the obvious and I'm sure they are sick of carrying this sad sack group. I was just saying this from a pure leadership aspect.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I tuned in to start the 2nd then tuned out after the 2nd, it was a good night. I really recommend Ozark on Netflix btw, Season 2 in particular which is great TV.

I just saw the Hitch presser and he didn't hold back one bit. Good, he's been putting lipstick on this pig for far too long (which I'm sure wasn't how he really felt) so good that he finally let loose his real feelings.

It's one thing to lack talent (which is obviously severely lacking on this team even when healthy) but it's another to lack talent and lack compete especially when they are in a, lol, playoff race. The team is rotten to the core from ownership to management to the players (A quote repeated annually the last 10 years) and I'm also questioning the leadership dynamic of this group big time including the top players. It's all just really really bad and I hate to say it, but I'm hoping for another humiliating loss tonight to really smack some sense into ownership, if that's at all possible.

I feel sorry for Hitch. He was sold a false bill of goods. These players are expert at looking on meaningfully and pretending to be attentive and amenable. When he was saying that he was impressed how responsive this club was the first thoughts I had was hold on, you'll see, this team will disregard any instruction a week or two after it was given. Or the next day. This has never been a lineup that was committed to all zone play. Not even in 16-17.

He's now getting the correct tones that the team checks out, gives up, hangs their head at adversity and that there are key problems in the lineup, notably Lucic. This isn't even a team. Its a colletion of players. Not many good ones.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I love McDavid and Draisaitl as players, phenomenal talents and the only reason to watch the team but I'm not sure that they hate losing enough. I'd like to see them get angry every now and then, smash a stick, communicate with teammates more, go off a bit in a presser or something. They just seem too casual with their approach IMO.
I probably said too much because it will invite a lot of criticism (rightfully so) and I realize that they are the only real talent that this team has and we're extremely blessed to have them. I guess it's just a matter of not everybody being built to be a leader.

With that said, they are clearly the least of the problems to state the obvious. I was just saying this from a pure leadership aspect.

McD is on the record several times defending Lucic and saying that Milan is doing enough, making valuable contributions, doesn't matter if he scores goals..

That in a nutshell is the problem with having a Captaincy awarded so young. This is no knock on a McD. But you can't make a young kid captain and then make him have to confront a player that would have been one of his boyhood heros just years before. McD would not be objective on Lucic. I think that is spotted. Lucic is a cancer here in the lineup, clear cut, and everybody (almost) recognizes it. The captain is giving this loaf blanket support. How would that play?

Drai, my honest opinion is he's bright enough to know what a disaster this org is all round. MY Take at start o this season was that he would require every ounce of determination to continue to progress in the face of the Org failure. Its really hard to do.

Both players are leaving it on the ice. Should they be doing more in the room? Well Connor has to because he's captain, comes with the role, but he doesn't have the tools to take that on. My concern is that Connor used his leadership role to support Lucic instead of confront him. I don't think Connor can confront Lucic.

When Connor was made captain it was assumed that vets like Lucic would provide the actual quality leadership on this club (which was an insane notion from the start) That hasn't occurred, the opposite has occurred. The beat cops, the Lucic and Kass in the lineup carrying big sticks are the ones that have to be pushed to the wall. (Even Mess would have had some second thoughts about that) What happens when the enforcers on a team are the ones needing to be called out? Is that why Manning is here? Dressingroom rebalance?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

With that said, they are clearly the least of the problems to state the obvious. I was just saying this from a pure leadership aspect.

This line of thought is the exact same garbage that people said about Hall, Eberle, and RNH.

Player after player, year after year it's the same garbage take.

It's bullshit.

Not "built to be a leader"? Damn right you're going to invite criticism with this crap.

Seriously... too casual? When has either player ever given the impression that they take this shit casually?

I can't stand this garbage. Bad players make a bad team. We've got a collection of f***ing AHL scrubs and people dare to suggest the issue is McDavid and Draisaitl aren't strong enough leaders? Seriously. f***. Right. Off.

Replacement somehow making McDavid culpable in Lucic being the most worthless piece of trash this organization has ever signed to a contract? f***. Right. Off.

So tired of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverForget06

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
McD is on the record several times defending Lucic and saying that Milan is doing enough, making valuable contributions, doesn't matter if he scores goals..

That in a nutshell is the problem with having a Captaincy awarded so young. This is no knock on a McD. But you can't make a young kid captain and then make him have to confront a player that would have been one of his boyhood heros just years before. McD would not be objective on Lucic. I think that is spotted. Lucic is a cancer here in the lineup, clear cut, and everybody (almost) recognizes it. The captain is giving this loaf blanket support. How would that play?

Drai, my honest opinion is he's bright enough to know what a disaster this org is all round. MY Take at start o this season was that he would require every ounce of determination to continue to progress in the face of the Org failure. Its really hard to do.

Both players are leaving it on the ice. Should they be doing more in the room? Well Connor has to because he's captain, comes with the role, but he doesn't have the tools to take that on. My concern is that Connor used his leadership role to support Lucic instead of confront him. I don't think Connor can confront Lucic.

When Connor was made captain it was assumed that vets like Lucic would provide the actual quality leadership on this club (which was an insane notion from the start) That hasn't occurred, the opposite has occurred. The beat cops, the Lucic and Kass in the lineup carrying big sticks are the ones that have to be pushed to the wall. (Even Mess would have had some second thoughts about that) What happens when the enforcers on a team are the ones needing to be called out? Is that why Manning is here? Dressingroom rebalance?

Yeah, I don't know, quantifying leadership is a tricky thing because none of us really know what's going on behind closed doors. I'm just basing my rationale on what I see on ice, on the bench, in interviews etc.
I think a group like this needs more emotion, somebody to fire up the group etc. and what I see from this group is a very casual, robotic approach. It's probably not fair to lump McD and Drai in this group because that's just their personality.

Ultimately, this team needs better players but in the same token, they need a damn kick in the ass coming from inside the locker room and I'm not talking about the coach. I just don't see enough "hate of losing" in their body language on the ice and in post game pressers outside of the new coach.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I don't know, quantifying leadership is a tricky thing because none of us really know what's going on behind closed doors. I'm just basing my rationale on what I see on ice, on the bench, in interviews etc.
I think a group like this needs more emotion, somebody to fire up the group etc. and what I see from this group is a very casual, robotic approach. It's probably not fair to lump McD and Drai in this group because that's just their personality.

Ultimately, this team needs better players but in the same token, they need a damn kick in the ass coming from inside the locker room and I'm not talking about the coach. I just don't see enough "hate of losing" in their body language on the ice and in post game pressers outside of the new coach.
You can hate losing and not go Messier on people.

I’m not convinced this coach hates losing though. Lots of hot air.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This line of thought is the exact same garbage that people said about Hall, Eberle, and RNH.

It's bull****.

Not "built to be a leader"? Damn right you're going to invite criticism with this crap.

Seriously... too casual? When has either player ever given the impression that they take this **** casually?

I can't stand this garbage. Bad players make a bad team. We've got a collection of ****ing AHL scrubs and people dare to suggest the issue is McDavid and Draisaitl aren't strong enough leaders? Seriously. ****. Right. Off.

Replacement someone making McDavid culpable in Lucic being the most worthless piece of trash this organization has ever signed to a contract? ****. Right. Off.

So tired of it.

Hey man, it's just my opinion and I'm aware that it's a controversial one. You're free to counter it outside of blind rage replies.

Again, I'm not stating that the current state of the team is in any way a fault of theirs. I'ts just something I noticed in their mannerisms. I could well be off with this assessment and I probably shouldn't have voiced that opinion here because I had a feeling that it would get torn apart. That's on me

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hey man, it's just my opinion and I'm aware that it's a controversial one. You're free to counter it outside of blind rage replies.

Again, I'm not stating that the current state of the team is in any way a fault of theirs. I'ts just something I noticed in their mannerisms. I could well be off with this assessment and I probably shouldn't have voiced that opinion here because I had a feeling that it would get torn apart. That's on me

You can voice your opinion as much as you'd like.

Doesn't make it any less of a pseudo-psych garbage take where you're pretending that you can infer from "mannerisms" that these players aren't built to be leaders.

I can't f***ing wait for the day Drai and McDavid are eventually dealt one after the other and we'll have a bunch of "well they had to go" responses. Just like with Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle.

Can't. f***ing. Wait.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You can hate losing and not go Messier on people.

I’m not convinced this coach hates losing though. Lots of hot air.

Hmm, Hitch seems to be most bothered by this. I admire the honesty.

I guess what it boils down to for me is that I prefer the honest approach coming from leaders. I like to see emotion and players/coaches being angered by losing. I just don't see that from this group outside of the Hitch rants.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Koskinen didnt help.
Just like the Vancouver game (where he gave up 4 goals on 6 shots) you simply cant give up 3 goals on 8 shots.
He has to make that last save.

Its interesting to me how a few years ago when Nilsson was the backup Talbot struggled for the first half the season and Nilsson was great. Then after Christmas Nilsson s*** the bed and Talbot came on strong.

Seems to be the same this season....Koskinen started very strong and has s*** the bed in his last few starts. His sv% has taken a dive. Now the team needs Talbot to step up again.

With koskinen I made the observation and comparison to a starter in baseball who looks great the first time through the league gets lit up second time through.

Teams scout other teams for a reason and it looks like the have figured him out

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You can voice your opinion as much as you'd like.

Doesn't make it any less of pseudo-psych garbage take where you're pretending that you can infer from "mannerisms" that these players aren't built to be leaders.

Where else am I supposed to infer it from? This is coming from my point of view and what I see. I could be completely wrong but I'm just stating what I see, there's no way to prove it either way.

As I explained to Keith,, I always prefer brutal honesty. I like to see people wear their emotions on their sleeve that shows how much this bothers them, like Hall showed towards the end of his time here and Hitch last night. I don't ever see that from this group of players so it just makes me wonder how deeply they hate losing. It's very possible that they are venting their frustrations behind closed doors but I can't possibly know that, I can only base it on what I see.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Where else am I supposed to infer it from? This is coming from my point of view and what I see. I could be completely wrong but I'm just stating what I see, there's no way to prove it either way.

As I explained to Keith,, I always prefer brutal honesty. I like to see people wear their emotions on their sleeve that shows how much this bothers them, like Hall showed towards the end of his time here and Hitch last night. I don't ever see that from this group of players so it just makes me wonder how deeply that hate losing.
Obviously they don't hate it.

Better trade them now so we can get that sort of cancerous attitude out of the organization.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hmm, Hitch seems to be most bothered by this. I admire the honesty.

I guess what it boils down to for me is that I prefer the honest approach coming from leaders. I like to see emotion and players/coaches being angered by losing. I just don't see that from this group outside of the Hitch rants.
Actions speak louder than words. We had this same schtick from previous coaches. If Hitch doesn’t put Lucic in the press box then he isn’t to be taken seriously.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

It's bull****.

Seriously... too casual? When has either player ever given the impression that they take this **** casually?

I can't stand this garbage. Bad players make a bad team. We've got a collection of ****ing AHL scrubs and people dare to suggest the issue is McDavid and Draisaitl aren't strong enough leaders? Seriously. ****. Right. Off.

Replacement somehow making McDavid culpable in Lucic being the most worthless piece of trash this organization has ever signed to a contract? ****. Right. Off.

So tired of it.

How am I saying that? You have comprehension difficulty. Or you could just ask. the bolded is entirely inappropriate and you should be better than that. I won't respond in kind, we are all frustrated.

Ill say it again. Of course it isn't McD's fault that Looch is worthless. Its the orgs fault making McD, a young kid, a captain, and assuming that guys like Looch would actually be providing the vet leadership.

McD, essentially a kid, is incapable age wise of going at a player like Lucic who he probably had on his bedroom wall in 2011. Think about it. Think how young McD is.

Of course McD is giving his former hero (McD highly respected Lucic and has commented on it) blanket good grace is still a problem. Nobody should be supporting Looch at this point, certainly not the captain. Looch should be off this team. In whatever way it takes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Obviously they don't hate it.

Better trade them now so we can get that sort of cancerous attitude out of the organization.

I didn't say anything about cancerous attitude, being bad teammates or anything like that.

It's best just to move on from this because it has triggered a very emotional reaction as I should have suspected. I shouldn't have brought it up to be honest.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
How am I saying that? You have comprehension difficulty. Or you could just ask. the bolded is entirely inappropriate and you should be better than that. I won't respond in kind, we are all frustrated.

Ill say it again. Of course it isn't McD's fault that Looch is worthless. Its the orgs fault making McD, a young kid, a captain, and assuming that guys like Looch would actually be providing the vet leadership.

McD, essentially a kid, is incapable age wise of going at a player like Lucic who he probably had on his bedroom wall in 2011. Think about it. Think how young McD is.

Of course McD is giving his former hero (McD highly respected Lucic and has commented on it) blanket good grace is still a problem. Nobody should be supporting Looch at this point, certainly not the captain. Looch should be off this team. In whatever way it takes.
Basically what you're advocating is McDavid throws Lucic under the bus.

There isn't a player in the league, captain or otherwise, who would do what you're suggesting McDavid is incapable of doing. And if someone did dare to throw a teammate under the bus, especially one who is struggling, they'd be instantly labeled a cancer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad