Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose to Preds 2-0, Haven't Scored in Years

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To me this seems like a case where before the season started we decided to rotate Reinhart, Ference, and Davidson just to give them all a shot.

It's ridiculous especially when Reinhart is head and shoulders over the other two.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Wtf is this Mickey Mouse horse ****? Unless we are showcasing players this is bull crap. And even then we'd likely be better off just going with our best players seeing as we are 0-2. :shakehead
I think they are trying to see what we have in Davidson, Ference and Reinhart sooner than later.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm okay with rotating Davidson and Reinhart for now. I know we need to win games, but Davidson might help us with that so it's worth to try.

Just keep Ference out of the rotation from now on. His poor performance at least had that huge benefit. If he had a limp, uneventful performance we'd probably be seeing him again soon.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid and Yak looked great together last game. Hopefully they can start clicking and maybe they can be a forward pairing like what McLellan was talking about.

I still say Hall-McDavid-Yak would be a great line. It's a line so many fans like, and we're apparently inching towards it. They should just save the trouble and take our advice :sarcasm:

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
McDavid and Yak looked great together last game. Hopefully they can start clicking and maybe they can be a forward pairing like what McLellan was talking about.

I still say Hall-McDavid-Yak would be a great line. It's a line so many fans like, and we're apparently inching towards it. They should just save the trouble and take our advice :sarcasm:

We don't need to see Hall with McDavid again. Wait until Eberle comes back, and then slot Hall with Lander.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
At least it looks like Ference is cemented in the #8 spot. After that last performance he should be in the press box permanently unless we run into injuries. Let him eat popcorn for the rest of the year then buy his ass out.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
How do we know it isn't Davidson Gryba that aren't playing? (gasp!)

very well could be..

Edmonton OilersVerified account ‏@EdmontonOilers 19m19 minutes ago
Coach McLellan adds @bdavy3 could make his season debut tomorrow and it's possible Nilsson starts in net for #Oilers vs. Dallas.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
Ya I want the team to ice the best roster to get a win, but I also get Tmac needs to evaluate everyone in real world NHL games.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ya I want the team to ice the best roster to get a win, but I also get Tmac needs to evaluate everyone in real world NHL games.

Isn't this exactly what everyone criticized Eakin's for last year? He was still trying to figure out who was going to be on the roster and we had plugs like Hunt playing. McLellan had his time to evaluate the players in pre-season.

Not playing Reinhart for a 2nd game in a row is at the very least perplexing and in all honesty just stupid. Equally stupid would be playing Ference in a second game in a row after what he pulled last game.

It's pretty clear who the top 6 d-men on the roster are right now. That is who should be iced, no questions asked. And this is coming from someone who wasn't a fan of either the Gryba or Reinhart deals.

SchultzSquared*

Isn't this exactly what everyone criticized Eakin's for last year? He was still trying to figure out who was going to be on the roster and we had plugs like Hunt playing. McLellan had his time to evaluate the players in pre-season.

The criticism RE: Eakins moreso had to do with his inability to make up his mind over the course of multiple training camps and seasons. He was also plugging in the blender as late as Game 82, throwing Hunt up there next to Schultz against top lines even when previous iterations had been thoroughly ventilated by the opposition.

McLellan deserves a bit of Play-Doh time to mold this roster the way he likes, and really, who your #5 is shouldn't have a large impact on the game on way or the other. The true problem here is that without an elite top-pairing defender, all three units require some semblance of equal minutes in order to spread the workload out. The gaffes of a Ference stand out even more with that sort of usage.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Not playing Reinhart for a 2nd game in a row is at the very least perplexing and in all honesty just stupid. Equally stupid would be playing Ference in a second game in a row after what he pulled last game.

It's pretty clear who the top 6 d-men on the roster are right now. That is who should be iced, no questions asked. And this is coming from someone who wasn't a fan of either the Gryba or Reinhart deals.

2 games. Reinhart can still fit into another 79. Totally 80 in the season.

Yeah it sucks to see him out, but if we are rotating then Davidson deserves some games as well.
Remember when there was an overwhelming amount of fans telling us that Reinhart wasn't worth the price paid and wouldn't be any good?

Wellllll the way I see it is this is his first NHL season. He shouldn't be gifted minutes because of the politics of the trade.

Yes, he looked great. Maybe he has looked putrid in practice? Maybe they only want him paired with specific skaters?

It is only two games. Lots of time left in the season. Reinhart will be where he is supposed to be this season. According to real, competent NHL evaluators.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00