Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose the tank battle, win the game

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I read all the time how Nurse always screws up on this board.

Then I never read a mention on how terrible Klefbom is ever.

Hes been good about 30 games the last 2 years. Not good enough.

I critiqued Klef a lot... but him being injured was eye opening to how important he is to this team. Sure, he’s not a true #1 like we hope he’s be, he telegraphs passes, takes a bit too long to make decisions, but compared to who we’d have to dress if he’s out.....

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Currie, Cave, and Gagner have all been looking really good lately. So happy we got Gagner back. Going to have to get myself a jersey

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I actually predicted the Boucher firing last night during the GDT. I have no idea why he didn't challenge for offside on the empty netter.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I read all the time how Nurse always screws up on this board.

Then I never read a mention on how terrible Klefbom is ever.

Hes been good about 30 games the last 2 years. Not good enough.
What? You must be joking, last year he was destroyed over and over on these boards. Even when pointing out that he was playing injured many did not care "the only injury he has is to his brain, Klefdumb etc etc".

Maybe you've too busy with crusading against Talbot :laugh:

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
I mentioned in another thread, what do you think about Boucher as a coaching option. He has been to the East Conference finals (Both lost in Game 7) 2 out of 6 years as head coach. Had a gutted team this year, that had a pretty good start mind you. And last years team with poor goaltending and a bunch of strife going on. 2 poor years in Tampa Bay they had no goaltender after Roli fell off of a cliff.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I critiqued Klef a lot... but him being injured was eye opening to how important he is to this team. Sure, he’s not a true #1 like we hope he’s be, he telegraphs passes, takes a bit too long to make decisions, but compared to who we’d have to dress if he’s out.....
If Sekera was healthy and Larsson not struggling we'd survive without him, for bit. But the problem is that the D core has has lots of injury (or related) issues these last seasons.

I'll keep on beating the drum on that we shouldn't trade any of our top 3 D, Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson. Only for significant upgrades but even then I'd be hesitant. Klefbom and Larsson are 26 going into next season and Nurse 24. Great ages for D men to find consistency in their games.

I am always sick of posters propping one of these guys up at the expense of another. Happens all the time. Klefbom will probably be a lot better if he can stay off injury for a bit, Larsson has struggled but imo has still had pretty good games occasionally, Nurse could use the presence of the two others so that he doesn't have to carry too heavy of a load. I think all three will be a big part of Oilers going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
We deserve Hughes but I still want us to win, I think ideally we finish 15th and win the lottery. We deserve it after what Chia did to us.

Who would you throat punch first?
chiarelli-1040x572.jpg
eakins-capture6.png
chiarelli-1040x572.jpg
eakins-capture6.png

Maybe a good kick in the nuts over and over for as long as you want?

Reactions: oobga

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Anyone else get the sense that if Currie could develop a decent NHL level shot, he could really be NHL regular going forward? I like the player.

Seen him play in jr a few times for PEI in Halifax. He would come in and beat Halifax himself. He is a buzz saw is all I can say and his batteries don't die. I like him.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Currie is going to have to keep it going though. Guys like Rattie and Slepyshev have shown glimpses but quickly become irrelevant when they don't put in the effort consistently.

An AHLer coming in and setting the world on fire when we're out of it seems to happen almost every season. It's one thing to make an NHL roster, it's another to keep your spot night after night.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Currie is going to have to keep it going though. Guys like Rattie and Slepyshev have shown glimpses but quickly become irrelevant when they don't put in the effort consistently.

An AHLer coming in and setting the world on fire when we're out of it seems to happen almost every season. It's one thing to make an NHL roster, it's another to keep your spot night after night.
This is why they can't just bank on these guys to step in next year. Do not plan for that.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I'll keep on beating the drum on that we shouldn't trade any of our top 3 D, Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson. Only for significant upgrades but even then I'd be hesitant. Klefbom and Larsson are 26 going into next season and Nurse 24. Great ages for D men to find consistency in their games.

I agree with both of you to an extent, our D is questionable. I’d be hesitant trading any of our D without known improvements coming back.

I’d even include Benning. He’s played over his head, and been exposed for it, far too often in his first 3 seasons (or is it 4?), but he is also at an age where he could find his game at this level. Benning developing into a consistent defender could give us time to develop Bear and Bouchard properly. Could he be a legitimate second pairing guy down the road?

What’s the depth chart look like for next year?

LD
Klef
Nurse
Sekera
Jones

RD
Larson
Russell
Benning
Bear
Bouchard

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The worse thing about Currie actually doing something this year along with our AHL team doing well is that it probably saves someones job.

Surprised Stauffer isn't talking about how MacT manages the Condors and how he scouts guys

Meh. Whoever is managing that team deserves to keep that job.

The record speaks for itself and they've had some solid contributions from free agents on AHL deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad