Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 7-2 to Ottawa.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Lol, the only reason Petry is playing this well over this stretch is to GTFO of Edmonton as soon as possible. This wouldn't be the same Petry if he wasn't on the market. He is playing like a good number 2 over this last month or so though.

Proves nobody good is ever motivated long term to play for the Oilers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lol, the only reason Petry is playing this well over this stretch is to GTFO of Edmonton as soon as possible. This wouldn't be the same Petry if he wasn't on the market. He is playing like a good number 2 over this last month or so though.
You seriously think Petry is playing like a good number 2?!? Do you know who are good number 2 defenseman in this league?? this over rating of Petry has gone rampant on these boards. Jesus. He still sucks, has always sucked. For most of the time in Edmonton people viewed him as having untapped potential which is why he lasted so long while still remaining in the positive light with fans. Problem is, that potential is still untapped and won't ever be tapped. He is what he is, a below average 4 defenseman. That has a great shot and good skating but has zero hockey iq or awareness to use any of it.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
You seriously think Petry is playing like a good number 2?!? Do you know who are good number 2 defenseman in this league?? this over rating of Petry has gone rampant on these boards. Jesus. He still sucks, has always sucked. For most of the time in Edmonton people viewed him as having untapped potential which is why he lasted so long while still remaining in the positive light with fans. Problem is, that potential is still untapped and won't ever be tapped. He is what he is, a below average 4 defenseman. That has a great shot and good skating but has zero hockey iq or awareness to use any of it.

You're right that Petry is not a number 2 on any good team in the league (unless paired with a Norris-level number one like Weber, Chara, etc.), but there's no way he's a below-average number 4 either.

On a good team, behind a good top-pairing, he'd be a very good 2nd-pairing d-man.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
This was more than goaltending.

The Oilers were giving up 10 bell chances all game. Ridiculously bad defense.

This roster is still junk and every 3 games or so it reminds all of us why the team is one of the worst in the NHL for 6 years running.

I'm not disagreeing with you but; The goalies let in novice type chances as well. Let's not kid ourselves, our net minding is the worst in the league.

Oil need to get rid of Scrivs and Fasth as Fasth as they possibly can! <-- I just pulled A Gene there!

Marincin was pathetic tonight and I like the slanky kid.

Jultz was pretty sad as well. Lol

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
I'm not disagreeing with you but; The goalies let in novice type chances as well. Let's not kid ourselves, our net minding is the worst in the league.

Oil need to get rid of Scrivs and Fasth as Fasth as they possibly can! <-- I just pulled A Gene there!

Marincin was pathetic tonight and I like the slanky kid.

Jultz was pretty sad as well. Lol

Fasth and scrivener look an awful lot like dubnyk looked a year ago. Goaltending depends on defence support, which literally is AHL-quality at this point, and will be worse in a month, when Fayne and Klefbom will be our only NHL-calibre D.

Look at the support Rinne gets. How about Price? Quick? Maybe hank? Hiller? Rask? Whoever the hell St. Louis decides to play any given night? Hell Crawford is barely a starting goalie and look at his stats.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Fasth and scrivener look an awful lot like dubnyk looked a year ago. Goaltending depends on defence support, which literally is AHL-quality at this point, and will be worse in a month, when Fayne and Klefbom will be our only NHL-calibre D.

Look at the support Rinne gets. How about Price? Quick? Maybe hank? Hiller? Rask? Whoever the hell St. Louis decides to play any given night? Hell Crawford is barely a starting goalie and look at his stats.

tbh this isn't fair to Scrivens who has at least had good games here. On the contrary Fasth has been a complete disaster and about the worst GAA in the league. Just horrible goalie. Time to just punt this loser. Not sure what anybody saw in this guy but hasn't impressed at all. 3.50 GAA lmfao. Clownshow.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I just cannot understand how we not been able to find one god dam goaltender that could be considered a starter.

It has been freaking years since we have been solid in that position. I dunno, I think it's an extremely important part of an *** hockey team.

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
Look how our goalies played when they were down south. I swear to go '98 Hasek woul be rocking a .890 on this team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Petry might be a decent second pairing defenceman on a good team but he's this teams best defenceman. Trading him for a draft pick in hopes that it becomes as good as Petry is typical Oilers. Hopefully Roy can become as good as Cogliano, etc...

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
tbh this isn't fair to Scrivens who has at least had good games here. On the contrary Fasth has been a complete disaster and about the worst GAA in the league. Just horrible goalie. Time to just punt this loser. Not sure what anybody saw in this guy but hasn't impressed at all. 3.50 GAA lmfao. Clownshow.

Neither of them are worth a damn. They are both pretty mediocre backup goalies who can play decent enough behind a good team. Neither of them are able to carry the load as a starter, and neither of them are really able to steal a game, Scrivens for about 2 weeks last year notwithstanding.

Didn't watch the game tonight, so have no idea what went down. Sounds like the team played terrible. Pretty rare that a team that gives up 7 does so just because the goaltending is bad.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Petry might be a scent second pairing defenceman on a good team but he's this teams best defenceman. Trading him for a draft pick in hopes that it becomes as good as Petry is typical Oilers. Hopefully Roy can become as good as Cogliano, etc...

We wouldn't trade Petry because we prefer having a 2nd round pick. The reason to trade him is because we're losing him for nothing in the summer.

Free agents often want to see what's out there, either for big money or to play on a great team. In both cases, that kind of puts us out of it. For money side of things, the cap issue is not because of Nikitin or Purcell either. We could easily buy both out. It's years 3-6 of the potential Petry deal that kills us, and I'm sure Petry will be looking for long term and probably a NTC on his next contract. So really, it's more that Schultz, Nurse, Draisaitl, Klefbom, and Yakupov are potentially squeezing Petry out. Plus, we probably should set aside some long term money on a goalie, one good enough to warrant spending more than we currently do.

Kovacs

Jul 22, 2013
Alberta
I know they're both RHD but does anybody think Petry and Fayne could form a shutdown pair?

We won't see it but do you think they could hold it down?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Goaltending cost us this game, it's not the end of the world but hopefully these morons try to solve our goaltending this offseason.

Mactavish can't solve anything.

He gushed about finally fixing the goaltending last season even though his guys only had 72 starts between them. Moron is probably content to wait 5 years for Broissolt to prove he is or isn't ready before he figures he needs to do something else.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Mactavish can't solve anything.

He gushed about finally fixing the goaltending last season even though his guys only had 72 starts between them. Moron is probably content to wait 5 years for Broissolt to prove he is or isn't ready before he figures he needs to do something else.

Don't forget he was "comfortable" with our attrocious C depth and did nothing after MONTHS of hints and pleas to fix it from fans/media etc

The guy literally coached the last Oilers team with a winning blueprint and still doesnt know what or how to fix this team :shakehead

LCLM

Jun 3, 2014
There's no point in dissecting this team in any detail anymore. They're a disgrace and a loser from top to bottom.

It's laughable that Craig MacTavish still has a job. He set the rebuild back 3 years by hiring Dallas Eakins and punting Ralph Krueger. (Notice the last two coaches the Oilers fired went on to much much better things?) Now he's going to set it back again by trading Jeff Petry. Didn't sign him long-term last summer because he wasn't worth it? How's that looking right now? Let's throw another player we developed down the river in favor of a shiny new one we can draft that will take another 5 years to develop. But no, none of this is management's fault. It never has been.

That all said, it's pointless to even point it out, because we all know the Oilers untouchables aren't Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins. The real untouchables are Lowe, MacTavish and Howson. Don't think for a second that these jokers won't throw the "kids" under the bus to save themselves. Until that changes, the Oilers will continue to be everyone else's punching bag, which is pretty apropos since we know they don't stand up for themselves. Ever.

Katz has allowed this team to turn into a resume stain.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Not sure why so many people don't understand that Petry has to be traded if they want to get anything, he would walk away from this team in the summer anyway.

LCLM

Jun 3, 2014
Not sure why so many people don't understand that Petry has to be traded if they want to get anything, he would walk away from this team in the summer anyway.

I understand the reality of Petry's situation.

Not sure if your comment was directed at me, but I'll respond.

I wonder if people understand that this could have been avoided if MacTavish did a better job negotiating last summer.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

We do understand that. However this consistently happens to the Oilers. "Oh we needed to trade Perron because he wasn't going to stay here". Well maybe the job of the management team is to make the team one that players want to play for. Getting mediocre value for players leaving is not a positive accomplishment.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I understand the reality of Petry's situation.

Not sure if your comment was directed at me, but I'll respond.

I wonder if people understand that this could have been avoided if MacTavish did a better job negotiating last summer.

Any scenario where Petry's salary negotiations don't get blotched last year, requires Mact and the Oilers actually wanting Petry on the team; which is clearly not the case.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Any scenario where Petry's salary negotiations don't get blotched last year, requires Mact and the Oilers actually wanting Petry on the team; which is clearly not the case.

Which makes zero sense at all.

Best defenceman on the team, do not want.

And some how this guy has a job...

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Which makes zero sense at all.

Best defenceman on the team, do not want.

And some how this guy has a job...

Mactavish doesn't do talent evaluations unfortunately. Once he's decided he doesn't like a player - they are gone. We saw it with Smid, and we are seeing it now with Petry.

It's not something that requires logic or common sense to him(or anyone else), because it's based on his gut instincts(ie - he emotionally decides things). Hence where he shows his support tends to be full of inconsistencies and double standards(kind of like how Eakins is a great coach, and Nelson can do no right).

The really funny thing is, he's actually stated that he believes he's a strong and decisive talent evaluator when referencing his past as a coach :laugh:

Jun 22, 2009
I meant to say 2nd pairing defenceman, everyone relax, it should be well known that I am one of the biggest Petry haters on this board. He is a useful defencemen though and will be when he gets dealt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad