Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 7-2 to Ottawa.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yeah. One step forward, into one big cowpie, lol.

This one was a big pie in the face though. Embarrassing its on National TV on Hockey day in Canada or whatever it is. You think they could pick this day to put on an adequate effort. Ottawa played well, granted, and no passengers today for the Sens who have put up their share of stinkers but no reason for this club not to match. Oddly we hung in the ring with 3 good teams on this roadtrip and played the worst against the two bad clubs.

Theres no figuring this club sometimes. They do the complete opposite of what one would think should occur.

Roses are red, violets are blue, Oil give the fans this game, a big steaming pile of poo.

Pouliot was awful as well but at least he was saying he would be due to injury. Why was he even in the lineup today?

It's probably a bad excuse but could it have something to do with the early game start? How many times have the Oilers have a game start that early this year? 0? 1? They're professionals and all but being on a roadtrip and playing an early game might had an effect on the effort they put out this game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well that blows.

Oilers went 16 straight games without losing by worse than 2 goals with Nelson behind the bench and now have lost 2 of their last 5 by blowouts. Reality starting to hit again.

I still think this team is more resilient and overall a better team than under Eakins though.

Now it's at least 50-50 what type of team you will get from game to game... they can be a Jekyll and Hyde team that either looks pretty bad yet on another night looks very competitive.

Under Eakins it was a rarity to have the team be competitive for any extended stretches and even when they won you often felt that it was more so the other team losing the game than the Oilers winning the game.

Now I think there are genuinely many games where the Oilers are winning because of their play or are at least playing well enough to have a decent shot at winning... except for a stinker like this one which can happen to any team.

Jul 19, 2012
For the Oilers, 29th is heady territory anyway. I think MacTurd and KLown have nosebleeds and altitude sickness from our play of late.

That said, Nelson has them playing .500 hockey. With crap goaltending, weak defence, and most forwards with the grit of toilet paper that's miracle working if you ask me.

That's good enough for about 25th next year. #oilerpositives #altitudesickness #fireKLown #fireMacTurd #fireHowson

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
I dont like the pinching by the defensemen....it leaves the goalie to fend for himself one on one or one on two.
Most of these players don't have enough man strength to win the chippy puck battles.
These are huge problems. Men playing boys.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Came here to check out the pregame talk. Didn't realize it was an afternoon game. Glad to see I didn't waste my time with this game.

Bring on the trade deadline !!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's probably a bad excuse but could it have something to do with the early game start? How many times have the Oilers have a game start that early this year? 0? 1? They're professionals and all but being on a roadtrip and playing an early game might had an effect on the effort they put out this game.

Yeah you know what, not going to give them that one. Most teams in the league have played 55 games by now. The Oilers have played around 20 and mailed in the rest. In the games we're doing well in the reason is our lineup is completely fresh and can outskate and outwork the opponents. So they are the last team in the league that gets a pass for anything fatigue related. Most games they haven't even worked up a sweat.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is a team that finished 30th, 30th, 29th, 24th and 28th in the last 5 years it's not going to all come together overnight. Nelson has them headed in the right direction but it's hard for any team to win with bad goaltending even if they are playing well (we weren't fwiw). We need new management but even if those duds stay IMO Nelson will improve the club.

Its not going to come together at all until they improve the roster.

Goaltending is only part of the problem.

Coaching is only part of the solution.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I have loved Klefbom lately but man what a stinker today. 3 bad reads led to 2 goals against. To be expected from a dman with less than 1 full season in the NHL.

Lander was still good. He has more offensive ability than I ever thought. Will be an excellent 3c

4 game point streak for Yak..... Well I got nothing else

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
Every time I think this team is finally beginning to improve something like this happens.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Every time I think this team is finally beginning to improve something like this happens.

Easy contentment. Played well for 3 games, everybody noted it, media noted it, coaches noted it. The damning thing is if you say too much good about the play of this team it bites somebody in the ass anyway.

This needs to change. Nelson is doing well being able to play nice cop but the team needs to bear down and play for this guy like they mean it 90% of the time like most clubs do.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I guess it's .................???

Came here to check out the pregame talk. Didn't realize it was an afternoon game. Glad to see I didn't waste my time with this game.

Bring on the trade deadline !!

I guess it's another excuse for the Oiler's.............an afternoon game.....they rarely play in the afternoon.

Jun 22, 2009
Lol, the only reason Petry is playing this well over this stretch is to GTFO of Edmonton as soon as possible. This wouldn't be the same Petry if he wasn't on the market. He is playing like a good number 2 over this last month or so though.

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013
We are basically the same except for an owner that will spend... On crappy players.

They are more similar than you think.

Their management is pushing for a new downtown arena, they've spent on michalek, phillips, and greening. None of which most fans want on the team. team full of young players, and fans of their provincial rivals are ***holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad