Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I remember when players were only allowed so much curve on a stick. If opposing coaches felt a player was using an illegal curve they could have the stick measured. If it was illegal the player was given a penalty, if it wasn't then the coach was given a delay of game penalty.

These coaches challenges today have the same feel to me. The game is held up or delayed. I wish they'd have done this differently. Coaches should be allowed to challenge any number of plays during the game with the caveat that if the call isn't overturned they are given a delay of game penalty. This way only serious errors or obvious misses by referees are worthy of challenges and not the petty crap that could go either way depending on the mood of the guy looking at the replay. All this does is waste time and you're not likely to see the same play called the same way in a different game. The NHL has had a hard enough time using replay just to figure out if the puck goes into the net or not. I'm not sure why they thought expanding to this would be a good idea.

Hockey isn't the only sport with this problem. They all do now. It's become embarrassing to see what it's done to baseball too. Calling reviews to see if a guys foot pops off the bag long enough to be caught in a single camera frame is a joke too.

I agree with you entirely.

Really?..can\t beat anyone?:laugh:
Didn't they beat the best team in the NHL the other night?....why yes. yes they did.:laugh:

In all fairness, I find the habs extremely overrated. Without Price, the habs aren't that great. For some reason, Price's record against us is horrible. If there's any team that can outplay the habs, its the oilers.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Calls even out every season, for any oiler fans to seriously think that Edmonton is getting screwed more on calls, is ridiculous. They are excuses, and thats it. Good teams dont use excuses, blaming losses on bad reffing is just sour grapes. If you think the refs were more to blame last night than cam talbot .
They do not even out when it comes to the Oilers. The refs just hate the Oilers for some reason and perhaps even Bettman hates the Oilers. Toronto is still upset that the Oilers won the lottery instead of the Maple Leafs and hate the Oilers.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I remember when players were only allowed so much curve on a stick. If opposing coaches felt a player was using an illegal curve they could have the stick measured. If it was illegal the player was given a penalty, if it wasn't then the coach was given a delay of game penalty.

These coaches challenges today have the same feel to me. The game is held up or delayed. I wish they'd have done this differently. Coaches should be allowed to challenge any number of plays during the game with the caveat that if the call isn't overturned they are given a delay of game penalty. This way only serious errors or obvious misses by referees are worthy of challenges and not the petty crap that could go either way depending on the mood of the guy looking at the replay. All this does is waste time and you're not likely to see the same play called the same way in a different game. The NHL has had a hard enough time using replay just to figure out if the puck goes into the net or not. I'm not sure why they thought expanding to this would be a good idea.

Hockey isn't the only sport with this problem. They all do now. It's become embarrassing to see what it's done to baseball too. Calling reviews to see if a guys foot pops off the bag long enough to be caught in a single camera frame is a joke too.

The coaches challenges on goalie interference are honestly the worst thing to happen to hockey since that foot in the crease rule. That rule needs to go asap, otherwise it's just a tactic for coaches to exploit (like Hartley did) and not even a real thing.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I agree with you entirely.

dumb it down.

In all fairness, I find the habs extremely overrated. Without Price, the habs aren't that great. For some reason, Price's record against us is horrible. If there's any team that can outplay the habs, its the oilers.

In all fairness...they were still the best team in the league....no need to down play it.
give credit where credits due....\
The Oilers beat the best, and the did it legit...no reason to apologize for it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The coaches challenges on goalie interference are honestly the worst thing to happen to hockey since that foot in the crease rule. That rule needs to go asap, otherwise it's just a tactic for coaches to exploit (like Hartley did) and not even a real thing.

It needs to be re-tweaked if not removed. Hartley abused it last night with the second challenge, even though it was an obvious clean goal. He wanted to give the flames more time to breathe. Should've been a delay of game penalty for that challenge fail. That's what they should implement imo.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
In all fairness...they were still the best team in the league....no need to down play it.
give credit where credits due....\
The Oilers beat the best, and the did it legit...no reason to apologize for it.

Oh no doubt, I just find the habs overrated without Price in net. Unfortunately it irritated me that the oilers lost to a worse team that was playing back to back. Oilers failed to capitalize on it and why we dressed plugs like Ference irritates me the most. I'm glad not seeing Nikitin Nikitin on the ice for now, but Ference belongs in the press box. If he won't retire, just sit his ass in the pressbox for the remaining of the year. Davidson, Fayne, and Reinhart > Ference any single day.

loller12

Mar 29, 2010
Whats with all the doom and gloom? Yes we lost the game but come on guys I'd understand if this team was in the Central division, but we are in the Pacific the WEAKEST division in the NHL. Looking at the standing we are 3 points behind ARZ for third place, and its looking like both ARZ and SJ games are tailing off a bit. Considering how bad most of the teams in the pacific are playing, I wouldn't be surprised if only took 88 pts to clinch third place in this division.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
It needs to be re-tweaked if not removed. Hartley abused it last night with the second challenge, even though it was an obvious clean goal. He wanted to give the flames more time to breathe. Should've been a delay of game penalty for that challenge fail. That's what they should implement imo.
It's why goalies are no longer allowed warm-ups after goalies are switched, even if other goalie is injured. LA abused it in a playoff series against the Oilers years ago.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
They do not even out when it comes to the Oilers. The refs just hate the Oilers for some reason and perhaps even Bettman hates the Oilers. Toronto is still upset that the Oilers won the lottery instead of the Maple Leafs and hate the Oilers.

The refs hate every team in the league, just ask each team's fans.

Stainsy

Time to improve
Jun 21, 2005
Ont.
www.parkerhousemotel.com
Calls even out every season, for any oiler fans to seriously think that Edmonton is getting screwed more on calls, is ridiculous. They are excuses, and thats it. Good teams dont use excuses, blaming losses on bad reffing is just sour grapes. If you think the refs were more to blame last night than cam talbot .

I wasn't just talking about last night, although this is the PGT. Just pointing out that year over year, I see the Oilers get screwed on so many calls, and I don't see an even out. However, I did go on to say that I don't watch any other teams, so I don't know if they feel the same way. Then I went on to say that since Bettman took over, is when I thought that the outrageous calls, and stupid amount of penalties really started. I honestly think that the NHL now likes controversy. As one poster said about Zeigler, and Campbell, that there were bad calls, I have to agree. However, I remember back in the day, they tried to avoid controversy. If a ref messed up, there was a "make-up call". Not anymore. I am strictly talking about how they have changed reffing the game. Used to be how a ref managed that game too. That's gone as well. I am only talking about the differences today, compared to years ago.

With replay, you would think they could get it right. Definitely didn't last night, also, Hartley did abuse the system. Have to agree, if you get it wrong, you get a delay of game. That would fix that little problem. Lets face it, lots of problems in how the game is officiated.

The game against the Kings, where McDavid's goal was disallowed because there wasn't a good view. I said years ago there was a better way to know if the puck crosses the line. Can't tell me you couldn't put something in the posts, and something in the puck that if its completely over, the goal light comes on. There is the technology, and it takes out all the guess work. They won't do it though. Proving my point, they love controversy in this NHL's management.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Oilers have been getting screwed over on calls for years. I don't watch many other games in the NHL, so I couldn't really say if its across the board for all the other teams, but I know that the Oilers get screwed a lot. I would think, that the NHL would want to correct this, so that fans can expect, and get, properly officiated games.

However, it is not. Doesn't look like it will be for a long time either. Don't ever remember officiating being this bad before Bettman. However, it seems six rules change every offseason, so its to the point that no one knows what the rule is supposed to do, or how its to be implemented.

Point is, they love this controversy. Reminds me of wrestling. It seems the NHL feels that fans leaving angry, or upset is just fine. As long as they have an emotional investment in it, they will be back. So, to me, its sports entertainment, right down to the script. When the NHL tried expansion south in the seventies, it didn't work because the Canadian teams were to strong. That is why Atlanta came north. It has only worked with Bettman's years, because I believe that the refs do manage the games. What a penalty today is a far cry from what it used to be. All those penalties sure take flow from the game, and slow it down. Can't take it seriously anymore, just take it for what it is. Sports entertainment. If you don't like it that way, your watching the wrong league.
Maybe why the hockey gods give them the 1st overall pick all the time :laugh:I do think they have already cost the Oilers 2-4 points this season La was a prime example they give the Oilers a weak call right after they tied it up then took back a legit goal. And last night the goal call back was terrible . So the NHL and Bettman should be estaic when they win the draft lottery again because it sure seem they like to make sure they lose games when they get to be the decider.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Maybe why the hockey gods give them the 1st overall pick all the time :laugh:I do think they have already cost the Oilers 2-4 points this season La was a prime example they give the Oilers a weak call right after they tied it up then took back a legit goal. And last night the goal call back was terrible . So the NHL and Bettman should be estaic when they win the draft lottery again because it sure seem the like to make sure they lose games when they get to be the decider.
Yet posters from other teams constantly bash the Oilers for winning the lottery. Believe it or not, the Oilers got bashed for drafting #1 overall in 2010 when they drafted first overall for the first time. Yet when any other American team wins the lottery, those posters don't bash the team that wins the lottery. Yet the Oilers have gotten bashed every single time they drafted first overall. Why the Oilers hatred.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yet posters from other teams constantly bash the Oilers for winning the lottery. Believe it or not, the Oilers got bashed for drafting #1 overall in 2010 when they drafted first overall for the first time. Yet when any other American team wins the lottery, those posters don't bash the team that wins the lottery. Yet the Oilers have gotten bashed every single time they drafted first overall. Why the Oilers hatred.
I am a Leaf and Oiler fan the 2 most hated on hf I am used to it already. No team I hate more though then the Flames. I lived in that city and could not stand it happiest moment was leaving there. So its pure hatered bias from me :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Hartley abused it? Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

He used it exactly the way it was intended to be used.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Maybe why the hockey gods give them the 1st overall pick all the time :laugh:I do think they have already cost the Oilers 2-4 points this season La was a prime example they give the Oilers a weak call right after they tied it up then took back a legit goal. And last night the goal call back was terrible . So the NHL and Bettman should be estaic when they win the draft lottery again because it sure seem they like to make sure they lose games when they get to be the decider.

Agreed on the weak calls on the goal call backs. For a league that's so desperate to increase scoring it seems counterintuitive. I have NO idea what a goal is anymore. None. I used to think a goal was when the puck crossed the goal line and the goalie was unimpeded by an opposing player (i.e., had the potential to make the save). The LA and Calgary games this year have proven this wrong. As it stands, a goal is when the puck crosses the goal line and can be viewed by an overhead camera crossing the line, but only if the goalie's glove isn't covering the puck and no opposing players are within breathing distance of the goalie when the goal was scored, or had possibly brushed against the goalie at some point in the play leading up to the goal.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah yeah yeah, and the oilers didn't deserve to win.

Thats right. They were junk. Didnt play good enough IMO.

Now please back up your post and explain how Hartley absued the challenge rule.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Thats right. They were junk. Didnt play good enough IMO.

Now please back up your post and explain how Hartley absued the challenge rule.

If you couldn't even tell that I explained it quite a few times in this thread, then I'm not going to bother explaining it again ; especially to you. :popcorn:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you couldn't even tell that I explained it quite a few times in this thread, then I'm not going to bother explaining it again ; especially to you. :popcorn:

Cool response.

Excuse me while I dont bother reading through 25 pages of complaining only to read your 'compelling' reasoning on how Hartley 'abused' the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad