Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It is for this season. Its over.

The oilers would need around 88pts in 70 remaining games to even be in the running for a playoff spot in the WC. Look at the schedule and tell me its even possible for this team to be .500 by Xmas. Realizing that even .500 isn't close to making playoffs.

This team is also ran, and this was confirmed again last night. The only question at this point is if its yet another lottery year.

1) I don't anyone here expected us to make the playoffs this year, we still are carrying a lot of dead weight
2) I think .500 by christmas is possible, old Oilers teams it was a dream but with a competent coach and back up coming I think we can do it

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I had my fleeting moment of optimism about this team. The Minnesota game solved that for me. In reality this team has stunk since the Washington game. Too a little while to realize that.

This team has severe third period problems. Yes we outscored the Flames in the third last night but never really threatened after it was tied. The only game where we've had a good third was Montreal. The rest have been junk. Same as last year. This team is very adept at giving away games late. Dallas, Minnesota, LA...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
1) I don't anyone here expected us to make the playoffs this year, we still are carrying a lot of dead weight
2) I think .500 by christmas is possible, old Oilers teams it was a dream but with a competent coach and back up coming I think we can do it

.500 in todays 3 pt NHL is poor. We have to start somewhere but probably just fan burnout occurring in wanting to see a change earlier.

What I just can't accept from this team is poor efforts and focus on home ice. On NHIC. That's become such an embarrassing trend.

Next, Nicholson, Chia, Mclellan were brought on as a quickstrike transformation of this club so that it could compete starting with 2016 playoffs in the new arena. I also heard that the club intended to lay the groundwork for that this year. Really it already looks like this blueprint and timetable is off and this is a very bad team for one that is spending close to cap. I wonder how much deadwood contract Katz is prepared to eat.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Noticed this as well. Why the **** does Todd have Ference passing to our best line? Like what in the actual hell....

The only defenceman on our roster who can make a breakout pass is Nurse. Davidson rings it up the boards. Gryba rings it up the boards. Ference passes to the other team. Sekera weaves back and forth slowly up the ice until he loses the puck or needs to dump it in their end without any of our forwards skating since they had to stop up at the blueline. Fayne rings it up the boards. Schultz tries to make plays but fails. Reinhart was impressive at times but he's injured.

Our forwards would be so much more dangerous if we got them the puck cleanly more than once or twice a game. It's destroying our offence.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Damn Letestu... how many easy tap in passes from McDavid are you gonna screw up this year! *****!

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Maybe it's time the team worked some hitting into the forecheck, and we stop doing favours to washed up dmen with NMCs.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Damn Letestu... how many easy tap in passes from McDavid are you gonna screw up this year! *****!

This pissed me off last night too.. You can't just squander chances like that. Letestu didn't even have his stick anywhere in position to tap it in. You're on a 2 on 1 with Connor ****ing McDavid. Wake up and get ready for a pass.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I said I was only going to focus on the positives (others have shined light on the many negatives) but I have to point out this fact...

The Oilers only had 4 shots in the 3rd... on home ice.. vs a team that has played 5 games in 7 nights.

That's crap. The oilers actually scored on 2 of those 4 shots... but obviously a 50% shooting pct isn't going to happen often.

Oilers gave that game away in almost every area of the game (outshot 32-23 overall as well).

Again the bright side is that I think they had a lot of crap piled on in this game... called back goal, 2 egregious goalie errors not likely to happen anytime soon again.

They scored 4 goals in back to back games... they are getting their offense going and that's a solid sign.

It's the one area this team SHOULD be able to excel at... getting pucks into the opposing net with regularity... and they seem to be getting better at doing that at least.

Defense and that whole "keep the puck out of your own net" thing still seems a mystery to this team... but we have to hope they somehow get that together one of these years.

Personally I think a lot of us expected to be watching this team winning/losing quite a few 5-4, 6-5, 4-3 ...higher scoring type games this season and I think that's exactly what we're going to be seeing more of.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What are 3/15minutes considered significant in any way? That would appear to be just a result of random assignment. Is there any D pair on this club noted to find McDavid with sweet passes/

I'm missing it if there is.

Seems like a silly thing to focus on. Probably just a random stat.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I'm so sick of getting ****ed over by the refs. Two disallowed goals that should have counted already and a bouquet of awful penalty calls.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
What are 3/15minutes considered significant in any way? That would appear to be just a result of random assignment. Is there any D pair on this club noted to find McDavid with sweet passes/

I'm missing it if there is.

Seems like a silly thing to focus on. Probably just a random stat.

I notice Ference seemed to be on with McDavid a lot last night. It's not smart to have a player who can only dump the puck with McDavid.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Exactly what I was wondering. Ference couldn't break out a pass if his life depended on it.

Yeah because it was those 3 minutes that decided the game...:shakehead

What about the other 13 minutes? What the hell did the rest of the team do? What about the lousy play of the bottom 6, goalie and the rest of the D?

How silly to focus on one particular area of the game to further an agenda..

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I notice Ference seemed to be on with McDavid a lot last night. It's not smart to have a player who can only dump the puck with McDavid.

People will notice what they're looking for in a game.

You do know they're only 6 D and 12 forwards right? At some point in any game, most likely every D will have shifts with every forward...:shakehead

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
2 games in a row we have seen 9 forwards play, and this team is better for it.

D is still the biggest concern, with goaltending a close second. Both havent been good enough.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
I'd have to say, aside from the obvious problems (D, bottom six, goaltending?), the biggest issue for me is the lack of want by the team. We had a chance to make a statement last night and we got outworked by a team that is considered worse than even us. That's unacceptable and the most depressing thing is it's been going on for the past 6 years as well.

Some things never change, Oil gonna Oil

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
The only defenceman on our roster who can make a breakout pass is Nurse. Davidson rings it up the boards. Gryba rings it up the boards. Ference passes to the other team. Sekera weaves back and forth slowly up the ice until he loses the puck or needs to dump it in their end without any of our forwards skating since they had to stop up at the blueline. Fayne rings it up the boards. Schultz tries to make plays but fails. Reinhart was impressive at times but he's injured.

Our forwards would be so much more dangerous if we got them the puck cleanly more than once or twice a game. It's destroying our offence.

Davidson has a shot and he is young, so he'll improve. Ference has nothing but trouble.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Davidson has a shot and he is young, so he'll improve. Ference has nothing but trouble.

yeah, of the two, i guess i choose davidson, as he brings SOMETHING to the table (however small that something is).... ference is worthless as a player now, doesn't do one think right anymore.... simply can't do anything at this level

the reality is though, as long as either of these players are playing, we aren't going to win many games.... we don't have a top-4 that is good enough to basically not play our 3rd pairing (like chicago does)

reinhart, and dare i say schultz?, can't come back fast enough.... also, i know fayne hasn't been great, but he is still miles and miles better than either davidson or especially ference

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I threw my phone last night when that last goal went in lol

T8Fzdxk.gif

dede11

Jul 4, 2015
Goaltending Coach!! The Goalies we have are good before we get them .. and after with other teams! but never during the time they are with us!! could it be that we need a better Goaltending Coach??

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It is for this season. Its over.

The oilers would need around 88pts in 70 remaining games to even be in the running for a playoff spot in the WC. Look at the schedule and tell me its even possible for this team to be .500 by Xmas. Realizing that even .500 isn't close to making playoffs.

This team is also ran, and this was confirmed again last night. The only question at this point is if its yet another lottery year.

this season was over the second we decided to run with the defence we currently have.... bottom 3-5 d-corps in the league, without question

the reality is, we have so much dead cap space (nikitin, scrivens, purcell, ference = 12.65 million) that we can't do anything this year through a trade even... nikitin, purcell and scrivens all come off the books next year, and you gotta figure ference will get bought out.... so that will clear around 11 million.... resign schultz for basically what he's making now (4), talbot (4), nilsson (1.5), and you have about 6 million extra cap to play with for a signing or trade for defensive help

additionally, next year nurse and klefbom (and schultz i guess if he's still on the team) should be better defensively... if we are able to land another "sekera level" guy in the offseason, a top-6 of sekera/nurse, sekera-type/klefbom, reinhart/fayne would be a bit of an improvement.... still bottom-10 in the league, but better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad