Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
T8Fzdxk.gif

Yup thats what I did lol

I actually thought they played a pretty good game. Talbot gift wraps the flames a goal in the first. They came fighting back, then the refs screwed them, and they still came back again, and Talbot screws the pooch again. Not much you can do under them circumstances.

Our d (even though its bad) probably played as good as it could last night. We have 2 rookies back there, and Ference. Its not like the other 3 players are top 3 dmen on other teams.

Our 4th line kills momentum, no wonder we start coming back after we go to 9 forwards.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
this season was over the second we decided to run with the defence we currently have.... bottom 3-5 d-corps in the league, without question

the reality is, we have so much dead cap space (nikitin, scrivens, purcell, ference = 12.65 million) that we can't do anything this year through a trade even... nikitin, purcell and scrivens all come off the books next year, and you gotta figure ference will get bought out.... so that will clear around 11 million.... resign schultz for basically what he's making now (4), talbot (4), nilsson (1.5), and you have about 6 million extra cap to play with for a signing or trade for defensive help

additionally, next year nurse and klefbom (and schultz i guess if he's still on the team) should be better defensively... if we are able to land another "sekera level" guy in the offseason, a top-6 of sekera/nurse, sekera-type/klefbom, reinhart/fayne would be a bit of an improvement.... still bottom-10 in the league, but better

We still have a good shot at getting to the top 3 in the division the way the pacific is right now.

The good teams will improve....but we need to improve as well.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Its funny how when Hall was outscoring Seguin, it was, 'but Hall has better linemates and gets more icetime and PP time'.

The minute Seguin started to outprpduce Hall (ie: last year), its become gospel that he's not just better but way better than Hall.

Now Hall is healthy again and three points back of Seguin... I wonder is anyone going to point out that Seguin's playing with the reigning Art Ross winner and getting all kinds of Ice time whereas Hall's line is getting the tough matchups to protect McDavid??
Seguin has been overrated since the day he got drafted. Some scouting reports ranked Seguin #1 because he was a centre.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Seriously, why is it that after every loss we are trading the whole damn team.

They didn't play well last night but they deserved better. We are missing some key pieces right now and fought back twice and deserved at least a point.

Talbot gifted the Flames two damn goals and that can't happen.

Ference just can't happen period.

Nothing wrong with the top two lines.

Funniest thing of all, Flamers thinking Bennett is better than McDavid. That team is a *** joke.
Draisaitl has 3 goals and 2 assists and is a +3 in 2 games. Sounds Draisaitl is better than the overrated Sam Bennett.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
People will notice what they're looking for in a game.

You do know they're only 6 D and 12 forwards right? At some point in any game, most likely every D will have shifts with every forward...:shakehead

Precisely. What on Earth? How is 3mins pairing in a game considered significant?

its random rotation as I mentioned.

Its funny that people most into stats end like Lowetide end up citing stuff like that as if it has the slightest significance.

oilz89*

1) I don't anyone here expected us to make the playoffs this year, we still are carrying a lot of dead weight
2) I think .500 by christmas is possible, old Oilers teams it was a dream but with a competent coach and back up coming I think we can do it

as long as were close to the playoffs i'll be happy. i don't think i'll be ready to jump off of a bridge like most of the people here

oilz89*

I said the team would be bottom 5. This team really can't beat anyone.

......:help: we should've won that game and you know. We lost it because of TALBOT. That last goal was horrendous. How is that goal the other players fault?

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I wasn't aware of the exact wording in the rule book but was still pissed about the no icing call last night. Now that I know the wording of the rule even more pissed. We got jobbed.

For clarification, the determining factor is which player would first
touch the puck, not which player would first reach the end zone faceoff
dots.
If the race for the puck is too close to determine by the time the
first player reaches the end zone face-off dots, icing shall be called.
:amazed:
The puck striking or deflecting off an official does not automatically
nullify a potential icing.

Look in slow mo and Sekera actually touches the puck first too.

Oh well I guess. Just add it to the list. :laugh:

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Precisely. What on Earth? How is 3mins pairing in a game considered significant?

its random rotation as I mentioned.

Its funny that people most into stats end like Lowetide end up citing stuff like that as if it has the slightest significance.
Maybe he's bringing up the point that it wasn't just Ference that couldn't move the puck up to the forwards.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Seguin has been overrated since the day he got drafted. Some scouting reports ranked Seguin #1 because he was a centre.

Matching Hall in points during their draft year with a much weaker supporting cast helped his case. Hall benefited immensely from being on a powerhouse Spitfires team.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Matching Hall in points during their draft year with a much weaker supporting cast helped his case. Hall benefited immensely from being on a powerhouse Spitfires team.

Also note that Seguin played half the game for Plymouth ala Schremp.

Either way, if its Taylor vs Tyler, I'm still going with Hall considering what he's able to accomplish with this crappy Oilers team [barring injuries]

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe he's bringing up the point that it wasn't just Ference that couldn't move the puck up to the forwards.

Is that what he was saying? Trouble with twitter is it ends up always being incomplete information soundbites. That actually makes more sense.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Then why is Bollig the goon still in the league.

Because the Flames/Burke are really stupid.

......:help: we should've won that game and you know. We lost it because of TALBOT. That last goal was horrendous. How is that goal the other players fault?

Exactly. We should have won that game. No reason to lose and the Oilers still found a way. That's what bad teams do.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
90% of gms in this league would take seguin over hall.

As for the oilers the bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair dmen are just killing this team. They are getting owned almost every game.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Why are we talking about Seguin? The Hall pick was fine, every other 1st round pick since besides McDavid is more questionable than the Hall pick.

Stainsy

Time to improve
Jun 21, 2005
Ont.
www.parkerhousemotel.com
Oilers have been getting screwed over on calls for years. I don't watch many other games in the NHL, so I couldn't really say if its across the board for all the other teams, but I know that the Oilers get screwed a lot. I would think, that the NHL would want to correct this, so that fans can expect, and get, properly officiated games.

However, it is not. Doesn't look like it will be for a long time either. Don't ever remember officiating being this bad before Bettman. However, it seems six rules change every offseason, so its to the point that no one knows what the rule is supposed to do, or how its to be implemented.

Point is, they love this controversy. Reminds me of wrestling. It seems the NHL feels that fans leaving angry, or upset is just fine. As long as they have an emotional investment in it, they will be back. So, to me, its sports entertainment, right down to the script. When the NHL tried expansion south in the seventies, it didn't work because the Canadian teams were to strong. That is why Atlanta came north. It has only worked with Bettman's years, because I believe that the refs do manage the games. What a penalty today is a far cry from what it used to be. All those penalties sure take flow from the game, and slow it down. Can't take it seriously anymore, just take it for what it is. Sports entertainment. If you don't like it that way, your watching the wrong league.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Oilers have been getting screwed over on calls for years. I don't watch many other games in the NHL, so I couldn't really say if its across the board for all the other teams, but I know that the Oilers get screwed a lot. I would think, that the NHL would want to correct this, so that fans can expect, and get, properly officiated games.

However, it is not. Doesn't look like it will be for a long time either. Don't ever remember officiating being this bad before Bettman. However, it seems six rules change every offseason, so its to the point that no one knows what the rule is supposed to do, or how its to be implemented.

Point is, they love this controversy. Reminds me of wrestling. It seems the NHL feels that fans leaving angry, or upset is just fine. As long as they have an emotional investment in it, they will be back. So, to me, its sports entertainment, right down to the script. When the NHL tried expansion south in the seventies, it didn't work because the Canadian teams were to strong. That is why Atlanta came north. It has only worked with Bettman's years, because I believe that the refs do manage the games. What a penalty today is a far cry from what it used to be. All those penalties sure take flow from the game, and slow it down. Can't take it seriously anymore, just take it for what it is. Sports entertainment. If you don't like it that way, your watching the wrong league.
Reffing was bad before Bettman as well. It was bad with Ziegler as well as with Campbell prior to the merger.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Reffing will always be bad. If they just called every single thing instead of picking and choosing we would still whine about reffing. A part of sports that makes it that much more important to be better than your opponents

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

It's something the team itself needs to play through. That being said Detroit is their favorite.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The rules are baffling to say the least. This coaching challenge is such a joke as well. That first challenge should've been a goal. 2nd challenge by Hartley was just used to give a longer timeout for the flame players. That kind of crap is delay of game worthy IF the challenge fails imo.

I remember when players were only allowed so much curve on a stick. If opposing coaches felt a player was using an illegal curve they could have the stick measured. If it was illegal the player was given a penalty, if it wasn't then the coach was given a delay of game penalty.

These coaches challenges today have the same feel to me. The game is held up or delayed. I wish they'd have done this differently. Coaches should be allowed to challenge any number of plays during the game with the caveat that if the call isn't overturned they are given a delay of game penalty. This way only serious errors or obvious misses by referees are worthy of challenges and not the petty crap that could go either way depending on the mood of the guy looking at the replay. All this does is waste time and you're not likely to see the same play called the same way in a different game. The NHL has had a hard enough time using replay just to figure out if the puck goes into the net or not. I'm not sure why they thought expanding to this would be a good idea.

Hockey isn't the only sport with this problem. They all do now. It's become embarrassing to see what it's done to baseball too. Calling reviews to see if a guys foot pops off the bag long enough to be caught in a single camera frame is a joke too.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

Calls even out every season, for any oiler fans to seriously think that Edmonton is getting screwed more on calls, is ridiculous. They are excuses, and thats it. Good teams dont use excuses, blaming losses on bad reffing is just sour grapes. If you think the refs were more to blame last night than cam talbot .

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Reffing will always be bad. If they just called every single thing instead of picking and choosing we would still whine about reffing. A part of sports that makes it that much more important to be better than your opponents
If a team calls for a stick measurement of an illegal stick and the stick is legal the team calling for the stick measurement gets a delay of game penalty. The same should be for failed coach's challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad