Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 4-1 to the Canes. Yakupov injured by the ref

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
So much :shakehead

Sekera has come around as of late, he's been really good.

What did I post that causes head shaking?
Thought Eberle played well tonight? RNH? The D?
Sekera hasn't been worth his contract to my eye. Too many dumb plays. He may turn out fine in time but I'm surprised anyone would refer to him as "really good" so far.

McDeathbyCheerios*

What did I post that causes head shaking?
Thought Eberle played well tonight? RNH? The D?
Sekera hasn't been worth his contract to my eye. Too many dumb plays. He may turn out fine in time but I'm surprised anyone would refer to him as "really good" so far.
Since Sekera has been paired with Nurse he has been good. He has earned is good second pairing d money that he is getting paid.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Purcell has been good lately. I don't understand people like you.

Yeah, no.. Purcell's been much better the past couple of games, especially playing with Hall and Drai. Have you been watching lately?
This is from a fan who ripped on Purcell quite a lot btw.

I'm actually not one of those who ripped Purcell at the beginning of the season because my expectations were never really that high to begin with. I think he's had a good couple of games with Draisaitl and Hall but in the last two I think he's been just ******. He's not as soft like he used to I'll give you that but in last two games his stick has been where plays goes to die. Not saying he's the reason we lost because the whole team sucked tonight. I just think Purcell's hot streak is over and he's back down to earth.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
There are plenty that had a bad game, but , more than anything this team needs a goaltender. Seriously, I see that being the big key. This was another even game where our goalie was meh and the other teams goalie steals a game. You have to realize in the new NHL a goalie that look decent half the games and kind of bad the rest is actually a horrible goalie. Half the teams in the NHL has a goalie that will steal 5 games for them a year. If Brossiot isn't ready, time for a trade. Even more than D this team needs a goalie.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm actually not one of those who ripped Purcell at the beginning of the season because my expectations were never really that high to begin with. I think he's had a good couple of games with Draisaitl and Hall but in the last two I think he's been just ******. He's not as soft like he used to I'll give you that but in last two games his stick has been where plays goes to die. Not saying he's the reason we lost because the whole team sucked tonight. I just think Purcell's hot streak is over and he's back down to earth.

I have no issues with Purcell right now. My main target right now is our garbage bottom 6 that can't put any sort of points on the score sheet.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Since Sekera has been paired with Nurse he has been good. He has earned is good second pairing d money that he is getting paid.

He's been better than the start of the season. He's been ok.
Maybe I expected too much. His salary is ok for a good #3. I haven't seen that yet.
Maybe with a solid vet partner.

McDeathbyCheerios*

There are plenty that had a bad game, but , more than anything this team needs a goaltender. Seriously, I see that being the big key. This was another even game where our goalie was meh and the other teams goalie steals a game. You have to realize in the new NHL a goalie that look decent half the games and kind of bad the rest is actually a horrible goalie. Half the teams in the NHL has a goalie that will steal 5 games for them a year. If Brossiot isn't ready, time for a trade. Even more than D this team needs a goalie.
Nilsson stole a game for us in Washington, problem was Holtby was too.

You can't put this on the goalie at all as if you can't score more then one goal against Ward you have a huge problem.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Nilsson stole a game for us in Washington, problem was Holtby was too.

You can't put this on the goalie at all as if you can't score more then one goal against Ward you have a huge problem.

True, I just mean over all though. Nillsson had one strong game, yet didn't match Holtby. The thing is though, you can always say, if you only score one goal you can't win. Well really good goalies hold you to one goal once in a while. Ward is a lower end starting goalie in this league and he does it more often than Nilson or Talbot.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The lack of scoring from the bottom half of the line up is brutal. They should sit a couple of them call up guys like Slepyshev, Khaira, Yakimov give them a couple games see if they can get anything out of them.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Losing to a good team while playing reasonably well I can tolerate, but losing like this to ****ing Carolina? I must be so naive to not have expected a stinker like this again. Really thought they were turning a corner, but nope, same good ol' Oilers.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Hard to believe RNH could be getting worse at faceoffs, and yet he finds a way.
And not getting any flak for it on the board either.
Given how critical we've been of other centers with losing faceoff percentages, I have to wonder how Nuge's 11% tonight has barely had a mention. Minus four too. :help:

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
This was a terrible loss. Terrible.

RNH looks terrible right now. He is falling down repeatedly, losing puck control predictably...what happened to this guy? Second to Connor, he is my favourite player and I can't understand why right now..

Eberle is a shell of prior seasons. Collect your 6 million brother and keep walking.

I feel bad for Hall and Draisaitl who are willing this team forward.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The lack of scoring from the bottom half of the line up is brutal. They should sit a couple of them call up guys like Slepyshev, Khaira, Yakimov give them a couple games see if they can get anything out of them.

It's the lack of scoring from anyone but Draisaitl and Hall that hurts the team. Nuge line is ****, just as bad as bottom 6 offensively. At the least the bottom 6 can usually keep the puck out, Nuge and company are horrid defensively lately.

Weak on the puck and crumble the moment opposition zones in on them. That includes Pouliot-for a 6'4 player, he sure is a pansy

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
And not getting any flak for it on the board either.
Given how critical we've been of other centers with losing faceoff percentages, I have to wonder how Nuge's 11% tonight has barely had a mention. Minus four too. :help:

With the emergence of Draisaitl, I say cut losses and trade Nuge while he has value. Last thing we want is another Yakupov-McDavid situation where team falls in love with a player who looks great for the a short period and then exposed.

Nuge is what he is, average offensively, weak on the dot, weak on his skates and now, just average defensively even. Worse off is his contract makes him seem like an anchor.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
This is how I see as well. Get rid of the soft and overpaid perimeter players while they have value and bolster up the defense. We have McDavid, Hall and Drai, Yak and a high pick. That's enough offense up front

I agree with ya. Trade the other 2 (Nuge & Ebs) for power forward and D. We will lose on trades but we are losing too much as it is

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This is how I see as well. Get rid of the soft and overpaid perimeter players while they have value and bolster up the defense. We have McDavid, Hall and Drai, Yak and a high pick. That's enough offense up front

lol yak

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Come on now, it wasn't that bad. They played the way they have for years...strong, competent, winning battles along the boards, no poor passes, defensemen standing up, etc.

It has to be the bottom 6 that's the issue.
I mean, sure Eberle and Pouliot were -2 and RNH was -4 and yes, Letestu was only 50% in faceoffs and Lander was only 67% but Drai was 36% and RNH was 11%...

If we can just find competent bottom 6 players, that should solve the majority of this team's issues.

I can really see this team turning a corner.......

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
True, I just mean over all though. Nillsson had one strong game, yet didn't match Holtby. The thing is though, you can always say, if you only score one goal you can't win. Well really good goalies hold you to one goal once in a while. Ward is a lower end starting goalie in this league and he does it more often than Nilson or Talbot.

Our goalies need some run support and some better defensive IQ to get any kind of confidence IMO - our goalie lets in a bad goal and we lose - that's a lot of pressure when we don't win games very often...

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Some how we manage to play well against top dog western teams despite losing, then we lose like *****es against the worst of the east.

This team loves to disappoint.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

This. This is yet again a huge issue for some reason. At the start of the year, our bottom 6 looked very promising. Like, "How much more promising can you get?".....and the answer is "None...none more promising". They are good on PK and such, but we also need offense coming from that particular group. The days of leave it up to Hall, Nuge, and Ebs, with a sprinkle of Yaks, Shwartz and Drai on the side have got to come to an end. One way or another.

I had a weird dream last night. I was given the task of choosing which of these 2 players that had to be traded to make this team better.

My 2 choices were McDavid and Draisatl. No one else.

:amazed:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This team loves to disappoint.

In new and creative ways! I think I'm going to do my best to take a break from the Oilers for a bit. The hysteria that's broken out here last night is understandable but definitely an overreaction.

Problem is, I can't fault anyone for said overreaction after 10 years of this crap. I hate cheering for this ****ing team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad