Oilers lose 4-0 in Chicago

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The disappointment doesnt come from losing to better, contending teams. The disappointment comes from the poor effort exhibited in every single game on this road trip from supposed "core" young, but now veteran players who have been in the league for approx five years already. Not near good enough.

The entire team just gave up after the third goal save for Talbot. That kind of **** is inexcusable. I could see McClellan was seething. Enjoy some of these golden boys while they are still here because some of them are going to be down the road this summer, and the return is going to be Dougie Hamiltonesque.

No they were beat by a better healthier team.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
You can't be serious. We didn't test Crawford in the entire game. WE had literally nothing going and sustained pressure in Hawks end for may a handful of shifts in the entire game.
We had nobody going to the net, we weren't taking pucks to the net, we weren't hitting anything.

This was an Oiler team forcing passes all night and apparently scared to maintain the puck.

Theres about 20 shots tonight that were pointless. Basically giving the puck away.

Correct, despite the injuries, this was the old Oiler team again from pre-winning streak.
Even with injuries, they still should have showed more determination. No moral victories here.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Out of all the eligible Calder candidates Panarin has been the best rookie. Larkin and Domi have played well too and deserve consideration as well.

No doubt he is good but the fact that Panarin is older than Taylor Hall makes him a bit less deserving in my eyes.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Only watched the first two periods and liked the energy of the bottom-6. In fact, they seemed to have all the Oilers scoring chances

It was obvious the Hawks were eating the top-6's lunch everywhere. Kane's line and Hossa's line were playing against juniors.

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Oilers summed up in two memorable pics:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/abThcjwuW4w/hqdefault.jpg

image.png

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
this is typical of the Oilers as we have seen so many times in the past....go on a healthy win streak then lose it all back again! watch for the soon to be losses tomorrow to Colorado then Winnipeg on Monday! (a game i am going to). then presto!! all that was gained by the Oilers win streak has vanished with the Oilers losing streak! why? #becauseoilers!

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
The Oilers are right where we knew in our hearts they would be.
Still losing against better teams and barely beating teams to earn two points.
They suck at winning hockey games, because they are not built correctly as a team. Period.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The veteran Blackhawks played a slow, methodical shutdown game and won the game on the counter-attack. Any glimpses of offense that the Oilers had was shutdown by Crawford.

The Blackhawks know better than perhaps any other team not to play a run and gun style against the Oilers (i.e., Sam Gagner's career night). Instead, they know to play a tight game and wait for the more inexperienced Oilers to make the first mistake.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is it me or does this team not play a little more inspired with Nilsson in the net?

This team plays like garbage on the road regardless of who is in the net.
We have score 12 goals total in last 8 Away games
We have scored 28 goals total in last 7 home games

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
This team plays like garbage on the road regardless of who is in the net.
We have score 12 goals total in last 8 Away games
We have scored 28 goals total in last 7 home games

Good point.

Well its a process good teams start to win at home first, they win away.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
the thing that makes this the worst is calgary keeps ****ing winning games and shooting ahead of us. Our team needs to start finding a way to really really compete every single shift for every inch of ice. We owe it to ourselves to see this team start treating these games like their playoff games.

I just don't see that in our team

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Good point.

Well its a process good teams start to win at home first, they win away.

Yea, and with McDavid's line back teams can't just put their best defensive guys against Hall/Drai and their best overall players against RNH/Ebs. McDavid will eat poor defensive players alive and only cup contenders have three lines that are defensively competent.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Through a season you are going to have ups and downs and that includes effort level. You just cant get around it, it's part of human nature and dont kid yourself even the great Oilers teams of the past went through it they could just get away with not giving a top effort for a full game and relying on skill for 10 minutes to put them up by 3 goals. Last night was a disappointment but it was understandable it's important that it doesnt become a funk and put them back out of the chase for a playoff spot.

The need to show some signs of life in the two winnable games they have before the Xmas break and then turn that into a good record through the important divisional games they have right after the break. They really need to understand that the next couple weeks are huge for our playoff hopes and show that they can compete when the games start getting important. You cant get caught up in the Christmas break, they need to come out firing like they were on the last home stand.

Jun 22, 2009
Schultz is so damn bad. I'd get rid of him for anything I can get. Losing him is addition by subtraction imo.

EDIT: Gotta give some credit to Matt Hendricks, he was a beast last night.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The thing that disgusted me the most about this game was the complete give up leading to the 4th goal against. Every player on the ice should be ashamed of themselves, especially Gryba. He could not have given any less of a **** on that shift if he tried.

Ference is complete garbage, but I would consider putting him in for Gryba the next game for that play alone. Just beyond unacceptable.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
First time Schultz, almost kicks it into the net, when that doesn't work, he turns around and shoots it in....

UlLt9e5.gif

Schultz's soft wrister might get him a fluke goal like that when Talbot is caught napping but he is going to have to figure out how to put velocity on it or lift it glove side if he wants to beat Talbot on a regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad