Oilers lose 4-0 in Chicago

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Its pretty stupid. KHL may not be the NHL, but its still a top pro league. Playing for that long and still eligible for the calder as a rookie? BS. Getting real sick of the blackhawks and their players.

I agree the issue should be fixed but panarin is clearly diserving of the Calder.

He is very good.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
The disappointment doesnt come from losing to better, contending teams. The disappointment comes from the poor effort exhibited in every single game on this road trip from supposed "core" young, but now veteran players who have been in the league for approx five years already. Not near good enough.

The entire team just gave up after the third goal save for Talbot. That kind of **** is inexcusable. I could see McClellan was seething. Enjoy some of these golden boys while they are still here because some of them are going to be down the road this summer, and the return is going to be Dougie Hamiltonesque.

You know it so well that it's painful, I think a lot of us do.

What, outside of a personnel change, with the players will change the way this is going? McLellan is a fantastic coach and a lot of these guys are fantastic players.

Do you think its just complete balance issues from top to bottom with the lines? Thats the only real conclusion I can make at this point. These guys legitimately can't hack it together, as many posters have mentioned, around this board the makeup of this team might be all wrong.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
We have only a few alphas and way too many betas...and gammas :/

I don't understand the fear of trading one of the "star" guys. Just try trading one to fix a hole. See how it goes. Throw in the first rounder. We have enough prospects coming up (and if you say we don't, it will be 10 years before it matters if you are keeping all these young guys on the team)

That game was gross.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Meh, this is what it looks like when you're playing against a top team and have several key players out. Not surprised over this loss and quite frankly I'm fine with it. Just hope the team can get some wins in the next couple of very winnable games.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Is he deserving? If Gretzky wasn't eligible for the Calder because he played in a pro league the year prior to the NHL, Panarin shouldn't be either.

Its bull****

It should be best NA player who is younger than 20 years old then, right?

Basically all players from Europe and Russia play in pro leagues before.

I really don't get this obsession with the Calder from some and the problem with understanding that it is necessary to have some set of rules which makes it a valid award for (almost) all NHL rookies. If you want to change anything it should be to let NA players play in pro leagues at a younger age. Or, as I said, you simply disqualify everyone who didn't chose to play his pre-NHL years in NA.

I guess we should take Austen Matthews off the list of eligible players for next year's Calder.

Who cares about what happened to Gretzky, I bet he is fairly satisfied with his accomplishments even though he didn't win best rookie due to a technicality.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Meh, this is what it looks like when you're playing against a top team and have several key players out. Not surprised over this loss and quite frankly I'm fine with it. Just hope the team can get some wins in the next couple of very winnable games.

It's not the loss I'm frustrated with it's the work ethic. Injuries happen and I didn't expect them to win, but that's not an excuse for not working hard. You put in the effort and we as fans would be fine with a loss because they battled their tails off. Once again another game where they are inconsistent and lack any fight. :(

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I really don't get this obsession with the Calder from some and the problem with understanding that it is necessary to have some set of rules which makes it a valid award for (almost) all NHL rookies. If you want to change anything it should be to let NA players play in pro leagues at a younger age. Or, as I said, you simply disqualify everyone who didn't chose to play his pre-NHL years in NA.

I guess we should take Austen Matthews off the list of eligible players for next year's Calder.

Who cares about what happened to Gretzky, I bet he is fairly satisfied with his accomplishments even though he didn't win best rookie due to a technicality.

The same technically that disqualifies Gretzky is apparently okay for Panarin?

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Personally, I think the cap on it should be set to the 5th year after their initial draft eligibility (so Panarin wouldn't have made the cut this year - he was draft eligible the same year as Hall).

That way, all players who have gone the major route, college, or played in Europe for 4 years are eligible, so American and European prospects aren't left out. IMO, being 24 years old and winning a rookie trophy is like being awarded for being the best athlete in high school because you've failed your final year three times.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
TOI leaders for forwards in tonight's game.

Hendricks 19:07
Letestu 18:37
Korpikoski 17:18

Given that today's NHL coach always goes for power vs power matchups these are some surprising numbers.

meh

McLellans message to the topsix last night that none of them had their game going. Nuge got all of 14mins and put on Hall line to try to kickstart something. Then McLellan goes with Hall, Drai, Korpi.

Of course we get shutout and sustain nothing throughout the game. But I wonder why we would mess with whats been our best lines and configs.

My take on this game is that the top Oilers did not feel for a moment that they could or would beat the Hawks in this one. Not to make excuses but that we've played all of our games against the Hawks this season in multiple games all occurring in around a one month period doesn't help much either. Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Boston, Boston, NY, NY.......who made this effing schedule? I think on a night like tonight the team pretty much knowing its going to again end up on the wrong side of the result is also somewhat schedule induced. We've played the vast majority of our games against topten clubs prior to Xmas. I remember looking at this schedule at seasons start and thinking theres no way the club could get any traction prior to Xmas.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Luke Gazdic had 8:34 TOI.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Games like this happen when you are working with a lineup that's been kept together with spit and bailing wire for weeks now.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Is he deserving? If Gretzky wasn't eligible for the Calder because he played in a pro league the year prior to the NHL, Panarin shouldn't be either.

Its bull****

Gretzky didn't win the Calder because they had already decided to snub WHA players.

Ray Bourque won the Calder....who is very good.

IMO, bias is worse than the pro games rules. Yakupov didn't get nominated for the Calder despite leading the rookies in scoring?

If the writers can do that to Yakupov surely they can snub an undeserving overager if they feel the need. But....A 24 year old winning the Calder isn't the end of the world for me.....I actually kind of like the idea that it would be a harder award to win for an 18 year old.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I went to the company Xmas party, managed to not get spoiled all night just to come home and watch that game.

Ugh what a waste of my time.

At least when McDavid was playing the games were entertaining. There wasn't anything entertaining about watching the Hawks toy with the Oil.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I went to the company Xmas party, managed to not get spoiled all night just to come home and watch that game.

Ugh what a waste of my time.

At least when McDavid was playing the games were entertaining. There wasn't anything entertaining about watching the Hawks toy with the Oil.

This is what stuck out most to me. I was told before the game that Oil/Hawks games were super exciting...

This game wasn't exciting. It was like watching a game against the Wild or Kings.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Scoring chances? What scoring chances does Shultz create? His nickname should be bobble since he can't keep a puck on side in the offensive end even if its his own player passing it back to him. Guy has no brain has a wrister that what? hasn't been effective since his first few games his first year with the team and he constantly gets beat down the ice or on the corner by people he is suppose to be defending. Seriously, Shultz, Ference, Nikitin, and Fayne are enough reasons to realize MacT doesn't belong anywhere near an NHL franchise.

Don't u know that Schultz is gonna win a Norris Trophy and that Lowe knows a thing or two about winning? He does have 6 Stanley Cup Rings did he tell ya

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
This is what stuck out most to me. I was told before the game that Oil/Hawks games were super exciting...

This game wasn't exciting. It was like watching a game against the Wild or Kings.

The game became incredibly boring after the first Hawks goal. The Hawks just gummed up the neutral zone any time they didn't have the puck.

The Oilers D is so bad they can't do anything with the puck to get out of their own zone with control. It was just the guys continuously chipping pucks into the neutral zone to get line changes. It wasn't entertaining in any sense of the word.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The game became incredibly boring after the first Hawks goal. The Hawks just gummed up the neutral zone any time they didn't have the puck.

The Oilers D is so bad they can't do anything with the puck to get out of their own zone with control. It was just the guys continuously chipping pucks into the neutral zone to get line changes. It wasn't entertaining in any sense of the word.

Yup. You trap the Oilers you win. The Hawks trapped and the Oilers had no answer.

Can't wait for the Avs to do the same thing.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
Yup. You trap the Oilers you win. The Hawks trapped and the Oilers had no answer.

Can't wait for the Avs to do the same thing.

OK. So if you trap the Oilers with world-class D-men, you win.

If you trap [insert team here] with world-class D-men you win. I think that's been a large amount of the complaint of how the game is played in the last couple of decades.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
OK. So if you trap the Oilers with world-class D-men, you win.

If you trap [insert team here] with world-class D-men you win. I think that's been a large amount of the complaint of how the game is played in the last couple of decades.

Pretty much. How many times have we seen opposing teams trap the Oilers over the past few years?

The Hawks know not to get in a run and gun game with us. So trap them, that's how you win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad