Oilers lose 3-2 in OT: Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Dubnyk has played well (I think he's faced the most shots in the league), but I don't think he's making the big save when the team needs it. last nights game was a good example. I would argue both regular time goals we're somewhat weak. he has proven he belongs in the league, but but hasn't proven he's a true #1. just a solid middle of the road goalie.

what bother me more is how many people on this board seem to be ok with losing and want another lottery pick.
it's a "developmental year". brown bananas.
30th, 30th, 29th. there should have been at least two years of development already. not three straight years of suck.
special teams have improved, but 5 on 5 play can be brutal. It looks like the kids don't want to get their noses dirty. I think pretty well every game the Oilers have been outworked.
even with some questionable signings of vets over the last 2 years, there is no way the Oiler fans should be talking about lottery picks and not expecting much. and I'm shocked at how many people are ok if the Oilers are a bottom 5 team. again.

you should be expecting a lot more than you've gotten, and the Oiler players by now should be able to deliver a consistant 60 minutes of effort.
I'm not expecting them to win the division, but there is no way the Oilers should not be at least in a playoff fight right to the last week of the year.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
No, i thought we would fight for a playoff spot. season is 20% done and I just cant see it.

The season is 20% done and the team is still in a playoff position. Road ahead looks like it's gonna be bumpy, but I'd be really surprised if they aren't still in the mix at season's end.

I hope im wrong.

Don't worry: you are.:nod:

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
I read somewhere that there is an enzyme in brown bananas that can provide extended benifits over long periods of time..

hmmmmm

and that lobsters are biologically immortal. they get stronger with age.
serious.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
This team desperately needs another good defenseman. I hate our play in the defensive zone. Petry and Smid have not looked very good this year... I'm not too concerned about it, but they should never be anything other than a second pairing. Justin Schultz is clearly the best defenseman on our team, and adding someone more dynamic than Nick Schultz would help a lot.

I was seriously choked about this loss last night, but calming down a little bit helps make a realistic judgement about the problems on this team. I am not concerned about the forwards at this point. When the top line consists of a 19, 21, and 22 year old, matching up against star veterans like the Sedins, Thornton's, Marleau's of this league is no easy task. They need to learn somehow, and I think it's intelligent of Krueger to play them in this role. Maybe RNH should switch off to the second line, because it seems this year his puck control along the boards is really weak.

We are a slightly better team than last year, and that's all we should expect after the acquisitions we made this offseason. It takes time... something we've been saying for far too long. We just need to watch how this season plays itself out, because next year there is absolutely no excuse.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The season is 20% done and the team is still in a playoff position. Road ahead looks like it's gonna be bumpy, but I'd be really surprised if they aren't still in the mix at season's end.

Don't worry: you are.:nod:

We're two points away from 12th spot in the conference, things could easily get ugly.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Is RNH hurt. Ive heard his 2-way game is a lot better than last year but he isnt scoring? Is he still elusive and make highlight reel passes? Also, it be awesome if other players such as Stamkos,Crosby, Bergeron would help him winning more face-offs. Seize has nothing to do with it. Crosby is 5'11

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is RNH hurt. Ive heard his 2-way game is a lot better than last year but he isnt scoring? Is he still elusive and make highlight reel passes? Also, it be awesome if other players such as Stamkos,Crosby, Bergeron would help him winning more face-offs. Seize has nothing to do with it. Crosby is 5'11

His passing has been a little off, his defensive game has been fantastic, his faceoffs have been up and down with last night being a bad night.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
His passing has been a little off, his defensive game has been fantastic, his faceoffs have been up and down with last night being a bad night.
His shot has been off as well, last year he was damn near automatic with his wrister, this year he's shooting everything wide.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack
Optional skate today but wouldn't be shocked if 1) Eager returns for tomorrow's game and 2) Whitney and Peckham are a pairing vs Dallas.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
if we play this pace for the rest of the season well be in contention for playoffs.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Is RNH hurt. I read on the thread if the game that he skipped a shift or two

Early in OT last night he got tangled up with Sedin, he looked like he went down awkwardly with his arm behind him. He came up and went straight to the bench with his left arm tucked in to his body. I mentioned it last night, even asked Staples and Principe about it. Staples said that he didn't see it, but RNH wasn't one of the players made available by the team after the game (which I find odd, he usually is).

I've seperated my shoulder a couple of times, and it kinda looked like that was what Nuge's problem was right there....I hope not, but I think we might be looking at at least 4 weeks without him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Early in OT last night he got tangled up with Sedin, he looked like he went down awkwardly with his arm behind him. He came up and went straight to the bench with his left arm tucked in to his body. I mentioned it last night, even asked Staples and Principe about it. Staples said that he didn't see it, but RNH wasn't one of the players made available by the team after the game (which I find odd, he usually is).

I've seperated my shoulder a couple of times, and it kinda looked like that was what Nuge's problem was right there....I hope not, but I think we might be looking at at least 4 weeks without him.

If he was hurt badly we likely would've heard about it by now, right?

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Four of our first nine games were against elite teams (Van and San). None of our next seven games are against elite teams (unless you count Minny, which is questionable). 8 games from now we play Chicago.

We have a great opportunity to take a lot of points in the next couple of weeks. The only game we lost that I felt we should have won on paper was against the Avs.

Stop freaking out you goobers.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Four of our first nine games were against elite teams (Van and San). None of our next seven games are against elite teams (unless you count Minny, which is questionable). 8 games from now we play Chicago.

We have a great opportunity to take a lot of points in the next couple of weeks. The only game we lost that I felt we should have won on paper was against the Avs.

Stop freaking out you goobers.

Flames, but I agree with the "easier" schedule coming up. My concern is that we play down to the level of lesser teams and we came out motivated for a game maybe once or twice.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
We would have heard about it by now if he was hurt. He skated off but he wasn't tucking his shoulder in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad