Oilers lose 3-2 in OT: Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's about spreading the wealth. And you really shouldn't be talking when it comes to suggestions.

Spreading the wealth? lol That would be the wealth that has scored 5 goals all year.

lets be frank here its about saving the toplines bacon because they're next to impervious to finding their own way out of the suck and need some modeling help.

Whats with the bolded?

Maybe save that junk for an unmoderated board. OK?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yup, just providing some context for people that are pointing to our standing in the conference as to why we are just fine.

The West is so good and so tight that every point matters. If we finish 10th in the West this year I don't think that's a huge disappointment.

I mean look at Anaheim. I don't think anyone expected them to be this good so early on.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Arcobello shouldn't be called up then. He isn't a bottom 6 center. He needs to play with talent. You call him up you might as well give him the shot.

No...just no. If anything, you demote RNH first because he's playing poorly. Demoting one of the best players on the team because some AHLer needs to play with talent is absolutely laughable.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No...just no. If anything, you demote RNH first because he's playing poorly. Demoting one of the best players on the team because some AHLer needs to play with talent is absolutely laughable.

Fine

Smyth-Gagner-Petrell
Yak-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Arcobello-Hemsky
PRV-Lander-Harti

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You're funny. :laugh:

I had to. To be honest I expect Arcobello to get Darcy Hordichuk like time if he's playing a bottom 6 role, so it's not going to matter anyway.

He isn't given time with talented players it's going to be a waste.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I had to. To be honest I expect Arcobello to get Darcy Hordichuk like time if he's playing a bottom 6 role, so it's not going to matter anyway.

He isn't given time with talented players it's going to be a waste.

Yeah, that's very true. No point in putting a guy like him with bottom 6 wingers. I would move RNH down before Gagner at this point though.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Didn't go through the entire thread but was Hopkins hurt last night? He didn't play the last 3 minutes of OT.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, that's very true. No point in putting a guy like him with bottom 6 wingers. I would move RNH down before Gagner at this point though.

I really don't think it matters unless we get two quick goals. I could see us using a blender tomorrow trying to get some chemistry going.

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
Yak-Arcobello-Hemsky
Smyth-Gagner-Petrell
PRV-Lander-Harti
Daigle-Daigle-Daigle

this is what it looks like so far.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't understand why most of the lineups you guys are posting have an AHL callup, playing between hemsky and yak, and our ppg center who was playing very well, bumped down to play with smyth and petrell?

I would propose something like:

Yak RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Hemsky
Smyth Acro Eager
Paajarvi Lander Harski

Or if eager isn't ready slot Petrell into that spot.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Yakupov-RNH-Hemsky

Please.

Hemsky and RNH had some great chemistry last year I think him & #64 could get Hopkins going. Gagner looked really good in between Hall & Ebs last year too so that should be a no-brainer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The 2nd line honestly doesn't even have much chemistry. They're getting some fortunate bounces but neither Gagner or Hemsky are utilizing Yakupov at all and that line can't sustain offensive zone pressure for ****.

Lets try Nugent Hopkins (our best passer) with Yakupov (our best shooter). We'd be stupid not to.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Because you all would likely never see this not following Vancouver bloggers, here is a breakdown of the OT goal and what Yakupov did right and wrong on the play. IMO, he is not at fault - Eberle is the goat here.

First, the goal.

The remainder of this post is credit to Daniel Wagner of TheScore.com and PassItToBulis.

Breakdowning-Tanev-01.jpg

Missing from the above clip is the fact that Tanev was the one who rushed the puck up ice, gained the zone, and out-battled Ladislav Smid to get the puck to Daniel Sedin, which is where we begin. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Tanev below the opposition goal line before, yet there he was going coast-to-coast and getting to the puck first after chipping it in.

At this point, the Sedins have a 2-on-1 down low. Daniel would normally look to pass here, but the puck hops over his stick (the ice at Rexall Place is pretty terrible) and Yakupov does well to get some pressure on him from behind, forcing Daniel to just throw the puck on net.

Also, please note that Eberle is standing around doing nothing. This will come up again.

Breakdowning-Tanev-021.jpg

Daniel’s shot is kicked away by Dubnyk to the boards, where the Oilers look to outnumber Henrik and win possession of the puck. With 28 seconds left, the Oilers have enough time for another rush up ice, or they can rag the puck and take the game to the shootout, where they’ve already edged the Canucks once this season and, with their bevy of young, flashy stars, would likely have the advantage.

Petry, Eberle, and Yakupov all head to the puck, looking like they’ll out-man Henrik 3-1. Yakupov recognizes this and peels off, pointing Eberle toward the boards with his stick, while he returns to the slot to cover Tanev. This is, undoubtedly, the right play. At this point, everything is fine for the Oilers.

Breakdowning-Tanev-03.jpg

Everything is not fine for the Oilers. Keith “I was here the whole time!” Ballard pinches down the boards, and Eberle, instead of engaging in the battle on the boards, is coasting out to centre ice in hopes of catching a breakaway pass. Tanev shades out to the neutral zone to cover him. Meanwhile, the play has gone from a 3-on-1 for the Oilers to a 2-on-1 for the Canucks.

This makes Yakupov sad.

Breakdowning-Tanev-04.jpg

Ballard makes a fantastic play along the boards, kicking the puck behind his left skate with his right to Daniel. He will not score his first assist and point of the season on this play, which will eventually lead to Canucks fans questioning why he’s not putting up points while playing such easy minutes, until he’s once again the scapegoat for all the Canucks problems. Hey, if it’s not going to be Luongo, it has to be somebody.

Yakupov makes his one mistake on the play, skating directly at Henrik Sedin when Daniel feeds him the puck. Normally this would make sense: attack the puck carrier, particularly as he heads to a dangerous scoring area. But these are the Sedins and you can’t defend them the same way: the puck carrier is frequently the least dangerous player on the ice when you’re dealing with the Sedins. But Yakupov’s a rookie and he doesn’t know this yet.

Really, Smid has decent position on Henrik and Petry will be able to get back to Daniel, so Yakupov isn’t needed there. Where he is needed is the slot, which is exactly where Tanev skates as soon as Daniel gets the puck.

Breakdowning-Tanev-05.jpg

This is the exact moment that Yakupov realizes he’s made a terrible mistake. After a quick give and go between the Sedins, Daniel finds Tanev wide open with plenty of time to shoot.

Oh, and there’s Eberle.

To Yakupov’s credit, he absolutely sells out for the shot block, nearly getting nailed in the head. He’s lucky this puck misses him. When he gets up, he’s still pretty. That’s not the case if he successfully blocks this shot with his face.

BCUachaCIAERiyF.png

Instead, the puck finds the back of the net as Tanev places it just inside the post.

It doesn’t get much better than scoring an overtime game winner as your first ever NHL goal. And he has the Sedins to thank, for their wizardry, Eberle to thank, for bailing on a battle along the boards in hopes of being the hero himself, and Yakupov to thank, for being an inexperienced rookie who doesn’t know how to defend against the Sedins.

Frankly, while Eberle and Yakupov have a history of “clutch” play, you can question Ralph Kreuger’s decision to put them up against the Sedins for the game’s final shift. Here’s Oilers blog Boys on the Bus doing exactly that:

I hated Krueger’s coaching decision to put Eberle and Yakupov on the ice in the last minute of OT to protect the tie. The Oilers were roundly getting pillaged in that OT period, and the Canucks were throwing both Sedins onto the ice to try to ice the win. Considering how they had played against the Oilers on the night, you would think a coach would try to send his best defensive pairing to try to close this out — Smytty and Petrell, RNH and Paajarvi, whatever. Instead he sends his two most pure offensively thinking forwards out onto the ice. Sure enough, Eberle cherry picks like he’s in Atom hockey, and the Canucks have a free 4-3 with a rookie in Yakupov trying to outbattle the Sedins, reigning robot scoring champions of the universe. It was bad in theory, and ended up even worse in execution.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The 2nd line honestly doesn't even have much chemistry. They're getting some fortunate bounces but neither Gagner or Hemsky are utilizing Yakupov at all and that line can't sustain offensive zone pressure for ****.

Lets try Nugent Hopkins (our best passer) with Yakupov (our best shooter). We'd be stupid not to.

A couple people keep saying this but I've yet to see any fact or basis to back that up at all.

Both Gagner and Hemsky have utilized Yakupov just fine. Actually, I'd say this line has been almost as snakebit as the first line at times. Both Yakupov and Hemsky have had numerous near misses this season. The difference being is that they're still chipping in some offense over the past few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->