Oilers lose 3-2 in OT: Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Seems like most people fail to realize how young and inexperienced this team is. Of course there is gonna be games like the one tonight that are frustrating and infuriating to some. THIS TEAM IS YOUNG! We will have games where things will click and it will be unreal and there will be discouraging games like tonight. We have such a long way to go as a team, this group is just getting started. Don't be naive to think this team is gonna be what you expect just yet. Gotta be patient with this group, Shultz and Yakupov are only rookies for #@%*'$ sake. Progression is key this year, and we've seen plenty so far. :sarcasm::help::nod::yo::cry::handclap::laugh:
No problems with them my man. Yak leads the team in goals and Schultz is by FAR our best defenseman.

Spartan117

Oct 13, 2007
Parts Unknown
Oilers came out of the blocks like they were hung over, very slow and with little enthusiasm. They didn't deserve to win tonight. For some reason the offense is really bad. I don't know if its the coaching strategy or if its because they keep running into defensive systems that are too tough for our top two lines to get through. I'm getting my hopes up if I think our top line can do the damage Tampa Bay or San Jose is doing right now. Hall, Eberle and RNH play hard but aren't able to control the game too much yet. That'll take time, they're young, I understand. Smyth and Horcoff need to be assigned to OKC to get some passion back into their game because they are slow, lethargic and don't seem to play with any level of intelligence anymore. Did you guys see that wild slapper Smyth fired off in the first? It not that he's too old, its that he doesn't play with energy anymore and his passes are worse than ever. Horcoff has nothing left to offer anymore. Can't put together plays anymore and isn't effective at the faceoff circle either. Those two guys are not helping this youth filled team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then that's an indictment on Tambellini and the way he's built/crafted his team.

To be fair, I was for the rebuild and still will back it. I would rather have Yakupov than have finished 6 or 7 spots higher last year with a Paajarvi type player to show for it.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
People are just getting mad because we see the same old thing every year. Decent start folliwed by complete collapse and the collapse is always precipitated by a few games like the last three where we just don't give enough of a crap to win.

The frustration is settling in and now everyone will just start taking turns giving up or trying too har on a nightly basis and overall team play will just get worse. I hope we can just battle for 6th-11th but a bottom out is starting to look more likely.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Seems like most people fail to realize how young and inexperienced this team is. Of course there is gonna be games like the one tonight that are frustrating and infuriating to some. THIS TEAM IS YOUNG! We will have games where things will click and it will be unreal and there will be discouraging games like tonight. We have such a long way to go as a team, this group is just getting started. Don't be naive to think this team is gonna be what you expect just yet. Gotta be patient with this group, Shultz and Yakupov are only rookies for #@%*'$ sake. Progression is key this year, and we've seen plenty so far. :sarcasm::help::nod::yo::cry::handclap::laugh:

I think we understand that this team is young but then why are Schultz and Yakupov playing better than the top line, who already have 1+ year of experience?

Futon

Jun 28, 2010
By the way some people are posting here you'd think the season was over and we finished last in the west. In a shortened season like this anything can happen and momentum will swing week to week. The top line is going to get going at some point (unless they're all busts :sarcasm:.) Also there is absolutely no reason to be worried about Yakupov, 7-5-2 in 9gp. Anyone recall Halls first 9 games? He didn't get a goal until his seventh game :laugh:. Smid-Petry is looking like a solid pairing, J.schultz is as good as we all thought, our PK has been great. I doubt this squad, as is, will make the playoffs but if you don't notice some improvement in this team I fell bad for you. It's nice being able to watch Oiler hockey knowing we actually have a decent chance to win the game. I think these last three seasons have jaded us fans. It isn't all doom and gloom in Oil country.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Every single game with you people. We win? Incoming dynasty. We lose? Fire everyone and move the team.

CSimpson18

Nov 26, 2009
My god I have to stop reading this site after loses. This suicidal gnashing of teeth is unhealthy. That game could've gone either way. 1 point is probably fair. Mama said there'd be days like this. Calm the **** down drama queens.

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
Canucks fan coming in peace. Just some thoughts

I think your young guys need more insulation. It's hard for youngsters like RNH to develop when they are going against the Webers, Keiths and Charas every night. You don't need elite 1st line talent (where would you get it from anyways) but some veteran players who can play a top 6 role. That way all the kids wouldn't be on one line, going against the top pairing. That's alot to ask of an 18 year old. Look at Yakupov for example, on the second line he gets easier matchups, which gives him more space and time, which IMO gives him higher chances for developing to his max potential.
It would take pressure off the kids, let them develop a bit before you throw them to the wolves, and make your team better too.

Obviously, the kids have proven they can perform at this level, but some insulation could do wonders.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He didn't against the Avs but you've got to average it out:

Vancouver: Edler goal
Sharks: Couture (2nd goal)
Kings: great game
Flamers: 2 weak ones (1st goal/2nd goal)
Yotes: good game
Sharks: great game In regulation! Two weak shootout goals.
Avs: great game
Tonight: 2 soft goals

That's 8 games, 6 soft goals. I admit he played great on the road trip, but the 2nd goal tonight is one he has to have; and, when he doesn't, it nullifies the rest of his great performance tonight.

Dubnyk is so painfully easy to beat in the shootout the Oilers probably won't win any shootout games this season when he's in net.

A stride or two across the blue line and fake a shot. Dubnyk will go to his knees then the shooter can lift it high to the blocker side. That's exactly what Handzus and Boyle did in the shootout on Saturday.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton

I think your young guys need more insulation. It's hard for youngsters like RNH to develop when they are going against the Webers, Keiths and Charas every night. You don't need elite 1st line talent (where would you get it from anyways) but some veteran players who can play a top 6 role. That way all the kids wouldn't be on one line, going against the top pairing. That's alot to ask of an 18 year old. Look at Yakupov for example, on the second line he gets easier matchups, which gives him more space and time, which IMO gives him higher chances for developing to his max potential.
It would take pressure off the kids, let them develop a bit before you throw them to the wolves, and make your team better too.

Obviously, the kids have proven they can perform at this level, but some insulation could do wonders.
Our GM cut his teeth in the Canucks organization and doesn't know how to build a hockey team. ;)

CSimpson18

Nov 26, 2009

Our coach wants them to be true top line players who can kill it against the toughs. Not some fancy dans who need 70%+ zone starts to get their points but are easily shut down by strong teams in the playoffs.

They may suffer short term but be better for it down the road. Check their advanced stats. They're doing very well against the toughs already. They'd all be above point per game if not for some bad puck luck(shooting percentage). They're all plus players and their Corsi rel is through the roof. They don't need insulation, they need patience.

CSimpson18

Nov 26, 2009
How was Lander? Good? Great? Amazing?

Good. Solid defensively, nice pass to smyth for his assist, strong positionally on pk. Unable to turn offensive zone possession into scoring chances, which had been the name of the game for all three of the Nordic line members during their NHL careers.

Still, lander looked good. Not much of a danger for either team, which is okay for a fourth liner.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I thought the Oilers played pretty well over all. They stayed in a game with Belanger, and Horcoff missing, as well as Fistric gone. Playing with a depleted D isn't easy...those extra minutes and pairing combination changes can really tire you out.

Sometimes I wonder how many on this board have actually played organized hockey, and better yet, didn't have enough D on the team to fill the roster. It's not an easy task.

Besides, Vancouver's D was petty impressive, as well as Luongo IMO.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Dubnyk is so painfully easy to beat in the shootout the Oilers probably won't win any shootout games this season when he's in net.

A stride or two across the blue line and fake a shot. Dubnyk will go to his knees then the shooter can lift it high to the blocker side. That's exactly what Handzus and Boyle did in the shootout on Saturday.

Go cry. We're 1-1 in shootouts this year. Obviously if the shooters don't hit the net, we're gonna have a hard time but Dubnyk isn't gonna stop everything. He has had little help on the majority of the goals he's given up this year. 40+ shots a night? Give me a break!

The Perfect Human*

Move Hall to center.

What do we have to lose?

You've beaten that one to death haven't you? Especially when the kid himself said he's more comfortable playing on the wing.

Unless you're talking about taking draws - because yes, I'd MUCH rather have him taking draws than 25% FO wonder RNH, then shifting back to LW once play is live.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
My god I have to stop reading this site after loses. This suicidal gnashing of teeth is unhealthy. That game could've gone either way. 1 point is probably fair. Mama said there'd be days like this. Calm the **** down drama queens.

Just curious, how do you not expect that on a public internet forum for a sports team?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
West is ultra competitive, going to be very tough to get on hot streaks. Oilers have a brutal schedule for the most part. Some of the players aren't clicking, clearly.

I don't know what some people are expecting, it's like you need to see dominance for a full 60. They're battling injuries, they're still young and they have one of the softest rosters - not to mention horribly unbalanced as well - in the entire league.

They'll be in the hunt for the playoffs but as many predicted they'll fall short and be a 10-11-12th place team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Turnovers, turnovers and turnovers.

I'm not sure how Kreuger isn't whipping them in practice everytime they play these fancy bs plays 2 feet into the offensive zone. Too often we are either trying to spin at the blueline or pass it back when the support is either not ready or not inside the blueline. Kids need to learn to start dumping in these scenarios.

Good game by DD, really liked his movement last night.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
"I love seeing corey potter on the Powerplay"

SAid no one ever

young team and they were playing a good team, could have won but it is what it is.

one thing that was irking me was the ref/linesman getting in the way of 2 or 3 breakouts and also interfering with loose pucks. once in a game maybe but it ended up being 4-5 easily, 2 specifically with yakupov breaking up the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad