Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1, sky is falling, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I don't think you guys are giving the Blues much credit either right now. This is a strong defensive team. They didn't give us much room for a breakout.

We still sucked, but it's not a first easy opponent.

Talbot looked good, this could have been terrible with Scrivens.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Frankly I can see Sekera becoming the new whipping boy to replace Nikitin (well, at least for me). He has not looked deserving whatsoever of that contract.

He's much better than Nikitin, there's no doubting that, but he made a lot of boneheaded decisions tonight. He REALLY needs to bounce back, because this is quite a few games in a row including the pre-season.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Unless we are winning every game and making mistake free hockey a lot of posters will think we are awful.

Right? I don't know, I'm obviously not happy with the mistakes but it boggles my mind that people can't see the difference in this game and the last two seasons. Obviously if we can't start winning some games down the stretch it's a problem... but I'd rather look at it as calmly as possible.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
That was a 4-0, 5-0 hockey game. No offensive pressure whatsoever, and giveaways all around the ice. In for another long season. Talbot might be able to steal us a few extra points compared to the last few seasons, but this group isn't going anywhere.

I think we watched different games, there was bad sections and some mistakes that you would expect from a new team, but there were just as many things to be excited about.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Also the 4th line played pretty decently, Gazdic in particular surprised me. Did not look out of element, good board work and pursuit.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
He never makes a good hockey decision? So he's just lucked his way into 263 points in his first 299 games?

Secondary apples. Common man. Watch the game. What does he do well? You tell me if your so smart. All I see are turnovers or pp points.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I just want to see McDavid and Yakupov. That's all. Keep Hall there, I don't care. Just give me Yakupov and McDavid for 2 periods and I'll shut up about it.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Much better team than last year...tons of compete and grit. A few too many giveaways, and nerves got the best of them for the first 5 minutes.

Purcell is a black hole of suck, and cannot get off that top line (preferably the team) quick enough.

Slepy looked a bit rough out there, but had some good moments.

Talbot will keep us in every game he plays if he plays like he did tonight.

Gazdic looked good!

McDavid - I'm not worried in the slightest, he was fine but you could tell he had nerves.

Hall - will get there...he's a slow starter and always has been.

Schultz looked good...really good.

Reinhart and Gryba looked good together.

Sekera was alright, but still has to watch those blind passes.

Yak was typical Yak, but amped up a bit.

Klef seemed kind of invisible, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Fayne - didn't really notice that much either.

We needed more from Poo, and Nuge had a decent game.

That 4th line was good...I liked it.

Lander needs to bring his A game consistently, but who on the team doesn't?

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Our only goal was off a Blues screw up. How long do we give Hall and McDavid time before we see Hall isn't good with him?

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I actually enjoyed that game despite the loss. It's pretty much what I expected today so I'm not even disapointed. This month will be tough but if Talbot can play like that every night then we may actually grab a few more wins.

I still not convinced that Hall and McDavid is they way to go. Mcdavid is going to be great, but boy did he looked disapointed.

Nashville will be another test.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Nothing more needs to be said about Purcell given the great comments here. McLellan needs to get over his mancrush on this guy asap.

Zero reason to have him out there at the end. He was a liability all game.

I've also seen about enough of Taylor Hall and McDavid. Taylor Hall just doesn't give up the puck. There were a couple of times I thought he could have found McDavid but he just doesn't see the game well enough. Draisaitl was far better. You need to find McDavid and let him quarterback the team. Very simple strategy.

Slepyshev looked like a different player in the 3rd.

All in all it was a decent game. Lots to like here. Playing the Blues in their home opener with the crowd going nuts is a tough game, and the Oil hung in there until the end.

It kind of sucks that we start the season in 3 really tough rinks.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
When I don't see production, absolutely.

He was PPG in the preseason and you had nothing but harsh words for him after every game. Seems a tad unfair to set this kid to such a high standard, no?

I hope the rest of the fanbase doesn't treat him this way.

Veterans like Pouliot, Purcell and Sekera deserve the venom, not some kid trying to find his way in a mens' league.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I know +/- is not a great stat, but the -3 tonight really suits Purcell.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
I think McDavid needs to be more cocky. His "oh I'm just an average boy" attitude is slightly annoying. You're not man.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
He's much better than Nikitin, there's no doubting that, but he made a lot of boneheaded decisions tonight. He REALLY needs to bounce back, because this is quite a few games in a row including the pre-season.

I don't know... some of those passes and plays... I know I was muttering under my breath and outright cursing on a few. I thought this guy was supposed to be a steadying influence? He has looked shaky, the diametric opposite of a solid veteran D man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad