Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1, sky is falling, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Hall isn't as good as people think. He never makes a good hockey decision. Mcdavid and him won't click. It won't work. Trust me.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Slepyshev looked other worldly in the last 5 minutes. We need to see that more.

If the pre-season has taught me anything, he's a little slower to catch up to the speed, but when he does it's beast mode.
Agreed. His first rookie game was meh. After that he was good.
First NHL pre season game, meh. Second on, good.

First NHL game...meh...second and on.... :)

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
Dunno if it's just me, but I thought I saw McLellan move Hall up with Nuge and Purcell and Pouliot with McDavid and Slepyshev near the end of the 3rd period there.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I hate to be a gloomy gus but that game was probably over the second the Blues tied it.

Effort aside that was eerily similar to a lot of games last year.

I didn't think it was similar at all. Our defense was pretty solid, goaltending was solid, we didn't get dominated shots wise. Having a player in the top 6 that killed the play every time he touched the puck was a major fault tonight

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Slepyshev/McDavid looked better once Hall got taken off that line. Not really sure how much this team will need Hall moving forward.

Purcell was obviously junk

Sekera has looked pretty bad

Talbot was very good

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
I need to get in on the pile on Purcell party. I honestly think they may have won this game had Eberle not been injured - Purcell was that bad. The fact that McClellan kept playing him is shaking my faith in the coaching staff a bit.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Same old story. Soft play, terrible defensive coverage, no offensive ability whatsoever, and a terrible PP. Sekera was god awful. Slepy was invisible all game. Purcell was a travesty. McDavid looked only okay, and was still trying things that worked in junior. Hall was simple atrocious.

On the bright side Talbot looked really good.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I appreciate the effort but the Oilers absolutely have to start winning these games. It's only a matter of time before "Not again" slips into their heads and they just play out the string.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Dunno if it's just me, but I thought I saw McLellan move Hall up with Nuge and Purcell and Pouliot with McDavid and Slepyshev near the end of the 3rd period there.
He put Pouliot with McDavid and it started working.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I really liked our defence tonight.

Klefbom had a bad giveaway early in the game but I'll give him a break since he hasn't played hockey in 2 weeks due to a foot injury.

Reinhart took 2 penalties but they were pretty soft and I'm pretty sure the 2nd one was drawn from acting.

Gryba was reliable and did well playing the tough guy role.

Fayne made some good decisions on the PK

Sekera was solid.

Schultz looked much more effective out there than last year.

Am I mission something there on the d-men?

After the first 5 minutes that was a gong show, the D was considerably better than last year's. Actually looked semi-competent. But still a few too many mistakes.

Sekera needs to be a bit smarter.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I need to get in on the pile on Purcell party. I honestly think they may have won this game had Eberle not been injured - Purcell was that bad. The fact that McClellan kept playing him is shaking my faith in the coaching staff a bit.

Purcell is definitely the complete opposite of Ebs. He is anti-clutch. To borrow a phrase from a brilliant hockey mind, Purcell couldn't even spell "intense".

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Slepyshev looked other worldly in the last 5 minutes. We need to see that more.

If the pre-season has taught me anything, he's a little slower to catch up to the speed, but when he does it's beast mode.

Yeah he showed me he belongs in his spot so far.

I like Schultz tonight, Reinhart had a decent night too.

Also, Gadzic, better hockey then I saw all preseason, nice game.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Good game, you guys - that was probably the best effort I’ve seen from the Oilers in 5 years.

I’m really excited for the BoA this year. Our teams’ records are tied after all, right?

The Calgary fan can see it, but I'm confident that there will be a lot of our own posters who couldn't lol.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This wasn't a horrible game. We played right up to the Blues most of the game. We had obvious flaws, but I can see us solving these problems. We could very well compete for a playoff spot. This game doesn't indicate otherwise.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He did this when Ference and Nikitin were playing meh... I think he does it to show the GM "See how much this guy sucks, get them away from my team"

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Can someone tell me who Hall does click with? He just isn't as good as people think.

Put mcdavid with Eberle when he gets healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany