Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1, sky is falling, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I actually thought we played pretty well.

Positives:

Gryba-Reinhart looked real good imo. Gryba especially looked real good to my eye, way better than what I saw in preseason. Does he play soccer? A lot of good kick plays, haha.

Schultz played quite well - actually ground it out against the boards and made a lot of good steals.

I thought Yak played very well other than the one terrible giveaway on the powerplay. No excuses for that, but love that McLellan put him back out there and Yak responded well to it.

The 4th line was great! Gazdic especially looked way better than what I'm used to.

Hustle - all around effort was faaar better than what we saw last year. If they can keep this level of hustle up all season long, it'll go a long way towards winning those close games.

Talbot played very well! Hopefully he can keep it up. Nice to see a goalie who can play the puck.

Negatives:

The Purcell Vortex was painful to watch. Just awful. Waive him already.

McDavid didn't score. I know I'm going to have to listen to talk about how much better Eichel is the next few days now. Boo.

Sekera was just bad, not much else to say. He actually looked like a more talented version of Schultz from last year. Good skating, good steals, pretty nice shot...but just awful positioning and mind bogglingly bad passes.

Other thoughts:

The systems play and coverage wasn't all there, but I actually felt I could see when they were playing the system McLellan wanted, and when they were scrambling and out of place. A far cry from last season, when I was watching the Oilers clearly play terribly...as planned by Dallas ****ing Eakins. That was his actual system.

Klefbom looked like what he is - a talented young defenceman. Some nice plays, some bad ones. His talent showed, hopefully he can settle it down.

Again, Shattenkirk is so damn good. IMO the biggest reason they killed us tonight. Thwarted us at every turn, integral to 2/3 of the St Louis goals.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I hate to be a gloomy gus but that game was probably over the second the Blues tied it.

Effort aside that was eerily similar to a lot of games last year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
good 4-0 win for the blues. Nice of them to give us one of those 4.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
That's an ok game from Oilers. The first month of this season is going to be hell but we are going to see a lot of change. There was pushback, blocking shots, etc. I am satisfied.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Good god Purcell did not show like an NHL player.

He deserves to sit next game. That was an unacceptable performance.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Good game, you guys - that was probably the best effort I’ve seen from the Oilers in 5 years.

I’m really excited for the BoA this year. Our teams’ records are tied after all, right?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Why wasn't Yak out there? Or Slepyshev?

But Purcell?

Totally..

Played decently. Can't wait until they get Todd's structure down pat.

Ugh, Purcell.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Purcell was the reason for all 3 goals. So gross tonight.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'll say it: McDavid hasn't looked generational...yet.

Schultz and Talbot were very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad