Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1, sky is falling, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People have to bring down other players to bring their favorites up.

People call Yak good and I'm starting to agree.

Then others are saying Eberle is only good because of who he plays with and is worse than Yak. Which isn't true. Both are good in their own right.

Eberle is in the top 6 because he is always producing, and is very creative offensively.

Yak could be better than Eberle in time but right now he isn't.

Eberle is good.
Yak is good.

Eberle is better. Much better and it has nothing to do with which player I like better.

Eberle drives results...Yak doesnt.

To be fair Eberle is an older player but he drove results at 22 years old as well.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I know it's a silly post. It was meant as such. A silly post to a silly poster who throws Eberle under the bus and calls Yaks the teams #1 sniper.

I have no issue with Yaks play so far this year, but this constant complaining that he doesn't get 1st line minutes and #1 PP time is getting old. He still hasn't proven, in so far as I can tell, that he can play against 1st line competition. And although he is looking better this year, he's still all over the place out there. He comes across (to me anyways), as someone who thinks he is the only guy on the ice at times. He has to work on that still.

Sounds like this post is directed to me. No offense taken either.

Just to clarify, I think Yak's shot and release automatically makes him the best finisher on the team. Unless my definition of it is wrong. Eberle he puts himself in the position to score more because he's smarter and better than Yak at that. That's something Yak needs to work on and get sorted with his linemates. Playing with better linemates also helps. I honestly think both are equally good. Both have a knack for burying the pucks.

Finally, whether I think Yak is #1 at finishing doesn't mean Eberle is at the bottom in terms of sniping. He's #2 to me and I'm not throwing him under the bus. I think you're reading into it too much. I want to see both players to succeed.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Just to clarify, I think Yak's shot and release automatically makes him the best finisher on the team. Unless my definition of it is wrong. Eberle he puts himself in the position to score more because he's smarter and better than Yak at that. That's something Yak needs to work on and get sorted with his linemates. Playing with better linemates also helps. I honestly think both are equally good. Both have a knack for burying the pucks.

Finally, whether I think Yak is #1 at finishing doesn't mean Eberle is at the bottom in terms of sniping. He's #2 to me and I'm not throwing him under the bus. I think you're reading into it too much. I want to see both players to succeed.

This is all well and good but if Yak is a better finisher then where is the proof?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This is all well and good but if Yak is a better finisher then where is the proof?

Yak's rookie season before he was mishandled.

Ask yourself who has Yak played with since. Gagner, Lander, MPS, Roy etc?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
After a lot of thought and reading posts in here, I've been far too hard on McDavid. I let the "generational talent" tag cloud my judgement. All things considered, he had a decent if unspectacular debut. He showed some flashes of the things that make him great, I can't wait until he get his feet under him.

Forgive me for the leaps to conclusions. Yesterday was frustrating and emotional watching another loss.

oilz89*

After a lot of thought and reading posts in here, I've been far too hard on McDavid. I let the "generational talent" tag cloud my judgement. All things considered, he had a decent if unspectacular debut. He showed some flashes of the things that make him great, I can't wait until he get his feet under him.

Forgive me for the leaps to conclusions. Yesterday was frustrating and emotional watching another loss.

Don't worry bro. It was frustrating and emotional for lots of people on this board last night :laugh: just read the posts

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Just to clarify, I think Yak's shot and release automatically makes him the best finisher on the teamUnless my definition of it is wrong. Eberle he puts himself in the position to score more because he's smarter and better than Yak at that. That's something Yak needs to work on and get sorted with his linemates. Playing with better linemates also helps. I honestly think both are equally good. Both have a knack for burying the pucks.

the best finisher the guy that shoots the puck past the goalie, and into the net, the most.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Even if he isn't as good as Crosby, I do think he definitely can be in that next tier of Stamkos/Tavares/Toews/Kane level good. Maybe a bit better in some areas.

Lets wait and see how we feel once he gets on a point scoring streak going and gets playing with his full confidence and can just focus on playing hockey rather than all the media circus and expectations that are all over him now.

The sooner we can get through these first 7-8 games, the better (season opener in Rexall is going to be another big bruhaha).

And to be honest, if he played the 1st and 2nd periods last night the way he turned it up in the 3rd period, he probably would've gotten on the score board.

Once he gets a few points under his belt and starts to build confidence, then we'll see.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
A lot of people wanted McDavid to have a great first game like some of the other rookies. Oh well, I think that will happen sooner than later.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I think this game showed that TM isn't afraid to change things up on the fly.

I said it before, say it again, I don't like Hall with McDavid. I know lots of people think it's a match made in heaven, and I unfortunately don't share the same views. I think the line has tons of holes after the rush and especially the neutral zone attack. For a line with 2 breadwinners, I hoped there would be better transitions. I hope TM can look outside the box.

Felt Yakupov had a strong game for what it's worth. Purcell does not belong with RNH facing NHL competition. He just doesn't have enough compete and can't recognize the play.

I got a bit of flack for these lines and I know it's only been one game but...

Pou-RNH-Eberle (Korp)
Purcell-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Lander- Sleppy
Klink(Gaz)-Letestu-Hendricks

Really liked Gryba with Reinhardt btw. Our defence stepped up last game retrieving pucks with speed and not afraid to bang bodies in the corner. Super impressed with how they handled the puck when the Blues were trying to dump and chase.

I'd look at Sekera and Schultz though...I know, it's kinda crazy, but I like their mobility for the top unit.

I like this too. Serviceable line that is able to get the puck up ice.

Allows klefbom to play the offensive role with Fayne.

Makes the most balanced approach for D as well.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hall getting moved off Mcdavids line.

Poo McDavid Korpi

Probably Hall RNH Purcell

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Hall getting moved off Mcdavids line.

Poo McDavid Korpi

Probably Hall RNH Purcell

Is this speculation on your part, or is this happening?

Edit: Never mind I found the line on the Oilers website.

I really like Pouliot playing with McD. He's the responsible, veteran, big, and talented winger that I think could mesh well with McDavid. Most importantly though, he doesn't need the puck on his stick to be effective, unlike Hall.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Is this speculation on your part, or is this happening?

Just saw this on the Oilers site.

The Oilers have taken the ice in Nashville for practice. Todd McLellan has tweaked the lineup.

Line combinations:

Hall-RNH-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Korpikoski
Yakupov-Lander-Slepyshev
Klinkhammer/Gazdic-Letestu-Hendricks

Defensive pairings:

Klefbom-Schultz
Sekera-Fayne
Ference-Gryba
Reinhart-Davidson

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I actually feel very confident in that line. McDavid won't feel like he needs to defer to someone else in the offensive zone, and he has two guys on his wings that will be able to win puck battles, and sustain pressure in the offensive zone. :handclap:

Also, Hall's shown the ability to carry plugs, so hopefully Purcell does less damage to the team on Hall's line.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I get your jist. I probably did read too much into it, but the constant comparisons of Yaks and Ebs sit in my gut like a rock sometimes.

The thing I cannot agree with is the #1 sniper thing, although thank you for clarifying your position. I just found, especially last year, that Yak was missing the net too much in situations where a sniper (to my way of thinking), should pot it in. Finish it if you will.

Yaks is still missing that certain finish I'm looking for in his game. Once he acquires that, he'll be a sniper. But I've noticed that shooting is a lot less haphazard in a number of players after 1 game, including Yaks. They look like they've been practicing that. He showed it in pre season as well. But he has to work on getting in position still.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

Yak's rookie season before he was mishandled.

Ask yourself who has Yak played with since. Gagner, Lander, MPS, Roy etc?

Good players produce no matter who they play with. If you are pointing to his linemates as an excuse, you are conceding that Yak isn't very good.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Good players produce no matter who they play with. If you are pointing to his linemates as an excuse, you are conceding that Yak isn't very good.

I think you know it's not that simple. Zone starts, PP time, and quality of competition all have a significant impact on a player's production. That is what seperates the truly elite players from the rest of the league is their ability to overcome tough assignments and still produce. Plenty of very good players require proper usage to score at a high rate.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Idk man. Playing with that anchor offensive black hole Belanger would be pretty difficult to produce with.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
You know, when the Oilers made the tough but correct decision to send Draisaitl down to the AHL to polish his craft against men in an environment that wouldn't directly hurt the NHL club, the majority on here were celebrating the move as the Oilers finally doing what they should with a young player, not throwing him into the fire before he was ready despite the temptation to do otherwise. All I heard around here was "Do what Detroit does, overripen! Overripen!" and pats on the back were to be had all around.

Now, after a loss in game one of the season and a bad game by Purcell, fans are now clamoring to bring Draisaitl back? Are we that thin skinned and reactionary that after game 1 of an 82 game season we should ditch what's best for the player long term, just to scratch a momentary itch?

We often criticize the Oilers org, often with justification, for not exhibiting patience and falling to temptation when it came to putting their young stars in the line of fire before they should have been. Perhaps a lot of us should take our own advice, as much as it hurts at the moment.

And this isn't meant to be a defense of Purcell, since he first set foot here he's done nothing but play a very soft game and is Exhibit A of a player that performs just well enough to come up short. The sooner he gets punted from this lineup and replaced with someone who actually wants to risk breaking a sweat, the better.

Shocker: A Biosteel camp cannot create chicken salad out of chicken...leavings.

Perhaps it's not the same fans, there might actually be more than one attitude on the boards, some may have thought all along that drai should be up?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm surprised at how many people like these new lines and I'm disappointed that Mclellan is line juggling already. How is the team supposed to develop chemistry if the lines are always being juggled?

The 3rd line is interesting but the top 2 lines look gross. Hall and RNH don't really click that well. It worked better when RNH would defer to Hall as the line driver in his early years but since RNH is morphing his game into more of a line driver, I think he works better with players who play off of him. Now, Hall is going to carry the puck most of the time which will likely turn RNH into a passenger.

It's nice that McDavid has vets flanking him but is that line ever going to score? The top 6 not only has one line anchor in Purcell but now two with Korpikoski who should ideally be on the 3rd line and even more ideally on the 4th line. McDavid isn't good enough yet to carry dead weight. Even Pouliot is more of a 3rd liner playing a top 6 role especially when there is a plug on his other wing.

Ugh, I just don't like that top 6 at all. I think Mclellan should have given the previous combinations more of a chance to gel. Too much of a panic reaction to a struggle against an elite team on the road. Not a fan of this move and all this faith he has in Purcell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad