Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1, sky is falling, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
klefbom was bad?? This place is crazy its like 1/4 of the people didnt even watch the game. Was he great?? no but to say he played BAD is disingenuous.
Yeah, Klef was not bad at all. In fact I didn't think Sekera was as bad as some reports in this thread are suggesting either.
I actually thought our defense played mostly decent last night considering the level of the opposition, and some recent performances we've seen from d-men on this club.

oilz89*

Drool.

Even if I haven't always been the biggest Pouliot fan he is an intelligent player and can play at high levels. A player like Pouliot might be more inspired on a line like this. But it would need to be tried for at least a dozen games.

Lol well half of your wish has come true. McDavids with Pouliot today

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm okay with the lines because it is very clear that McLellan knows that Yakupov needs time to build chemistry with someone and he is wanting that with Lander.

Slepy - Lander - Yakupov is actually a very good third line and there is nothing wrong with that.

Ideally I see the following happening when Eberle comes back

Hall - RNH - Drai
Pouliot - McDavid - Eberle
Slepyshev - Lander - Yakupov
Hendricks - Letetsu - Korpi
Gazdic, Klink

That is 4 very balanced line. Each line has a goal scorer, a few play makers and someone to drive the net.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How the heck would he develop physically against junior players??? Read what you write sometimes :laugh:

Ummmm....weight-rooms, conditioning programs, physical growth. It's more about those 12-months available to him, rather than the location of the rink he'd be playing. The Oiler's could give him a strength and conditioning program to adhere to while freezing the clock on his professional contract.

That wasn't a toughie...I can't believe I had to explain that.

oilz89*

I think I would prefer:

Pouliot - McDavid - Slep
Korpi - Lander - Yak

Why put another rookie with McDavid? McDavid and Slepy are both rookies. Having them on the same line from the start won't work. Its so Eakinish. Korpi is good with the body and a good forechecker. Pouliot can shoot and is good at puck retrieval.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Also
Pouliot, McDavid and Korpi can work pretty well. Korpi is fast and is pretty good in the corners, Pouliot has a good scoring puck and great on the forecheck. Plus 2 vets to helo McDavid is a great idea.

Hall and RNH have always been good together if Eberle wasn't there. 2 of the 3 work, all 3 doesn't. Hall and RNH are skilled enough to make up for Purcell and is the safest place to put him without waiving him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ummmm....weight-rooms, conditioning programs, physical growth. It's more about those 12-months available to him, rather than the location of the rink he'd be playing. The Oiler's could give him a strength and conditioning program to adhere to while freezing the clock on his professional contract.

Please dear God, not the save a year on his ELC argument for McDavid. He is plenty strong, he does pull ups with 45lbs plates tied to his waist, and for him to be as good of a skater as he is, his legs are probably incredibly strong. People dont seem to understand that different people have different builds.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Why put another rookie with McDavid? McDavid and Slepy are both rookies. Having them on the same line from the start won't work. Its so Eakinish. Korpi is good with the body and a good forechecker. Pouliot can shoot and is good at puck retrieval.

"Bcuz rookie" is a weak argument if they play well together. Anyway the lines look fine for to test out.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Slepy, like most Russian wingers...is better on their off eong. So he should be on his left.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
No knock on Lander but he isn't a legitimate topsix NHL player.
No offense, but at this stage in his career, neither is Yak.
The only thing top six about Yak is his shot. And we barely even see that anymore.

I'm sure Yakupov isn't looking down his nose at Lander (like some folks on this board are doing). If he's smart, he will see that he has a lot to learn about hockey from Lander.
Did someone actually say that? Maybe when Nuge and Gordon were both hurt, but its not like we had anyone else besides possibly an underachieving Lander worth mentioning in the argument.
Haha. I see what you did there. But yes, he said it, and then defended the comment. Nuge , Gordon and Gagner were the other healthy centers at the time.

oilz89*

Dude McDavid is not going to junior, a league he already destroyed. How would he feel if he was sent back?? The guy would ask for a trade. He's a kid keep your expectations down my lord

Oct 15, 2008

Nobody is sending back the most highly anticipated 1st overall pick in a decade to junior.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Do you know who Connor McDavid is? He's not Mitch Marner, Mitch Marner is Mitch Marner.

McDeathbyCheerios*

"Bcuz rookie" is a weak argument if they play well together. Anyway the lines look fine for to test out.
To me I don't want Slepy there because Slepy is much better on the left wing and I rather him play there. I also want Pouliot there so its hard.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

I don't think Connor McDavid needs strength and conditioning for an extra 12 months.., there is no way McDavid will go back to junior.

BTW True Romance is my favorite movie, Drexel Spivey is the greatest character ever on film! "They got everything here from a diddled-eyed joe to damned if I know."

McDeathbyCheerios*

McDavid in junior is impossiblely silly. He has nothing left to do there and is a waste of a development year. I could see an argument to send him to the ahl, but we csnt. So he stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad