Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1, sky is falling, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You been watching him this preseason and last night? He's playing a solid team game, and he was actually reading a play really well and headed for an odd man rush when Reinhert took that hooking penalty.
Yak always reads the opposition well. That's why I said he is able to create stuff by himself. He's above average on the forecheck, and if I was playing against him he's one guy I'd keep my eye on when making a pass out of my own zone. Problem with Yak is he doesn't seem at all interested in reading his own team mates.
The main reason it often looks like he's in his own world in the offensive zone, is because he rarely has a player that has the ability to feed it to him.
That may be. But if I was on Yak's line I'd wonder where he's going to be this time. Never seen an NHL player wander the ice as much as Yak does.

Yes he worked good with Roy, but doesn't that kind of prove that he doesn't need to be with McDavid (or whoever on one of the top lines) in order to have success? Roy wasn't exactly gold in this league at that point in his career. Dude was on waivers before coming to Edmonton, and as far as I know just signed in Switzerland.

There's no shame in having Lander on your line. Some posters here act like Lander is the scraps. Please tell me what Yak has accomplished in the league (aside from being a first overall) that would make you think he deserves a better center than Lander at this point in his career.
No topsix player on this club has had more linemate instability than Yak.
Is Yak a top six player on this club?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Looks like McLellan didn't take long to yank Hall and Slepyshev away from McDavid and try something else.

Hall's now with RNH, and Slepy is back on the Lander/Yak line again.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yak always reads the opposition well. That's why I said he is able to create stuff by himself. He's above average on the forecheck, and if I was playing against him he's one guy I'd keep my eye on when making a pass out of my own zone. Problem with Yak is he doesn't seem at all interested in reading his own team mates.
That may be. But if I was on Yak's line I'd wonder where he's going to be this time. Never seen an NHL player wander the ice as much as Yak does.

Yes he worked good with Roy, but doesn't that kind of prove that he doesn't need to be with McDavid (or whoever on one of the top lines) in order to have success? Roy wasn't exactly gold in this league at that point in his career. Dude was on waivers before coming to Edmonton, and as far as I know just signed in Switzerland.

There's no shame in having Lander on your line. Some posters here act like Lander is the scraps. Please tell me what Yak has accomplished in the league (aside from being a first overall) that would make you think he deserves a better center than Lander at this point in his career.

I have beaten this argument to death, but to get back on the Lander argument yet again: it isn't a matter of Lander being bad at hockey. It's matter of skillsets - Lander is good defensively, something of a grinder, and a surprisingly good shooter. His passing/playmaking is probably the weakest part of his game. He's not half the playmaker Roy was last year for us. As a overall hockey player, I take Lander over Roy 10/10 times. But making good lines is more than just putting your best players together. There has to be some fit in terms of playstyle too. Yakupov clearly needs a good playmaker - hence bumping him up to play with McDavid or RNH. Or playing Drai with them was fine too. All of them are great at making plays.

oilz89*

Guys... Its only been one game where we lost 2-1 to a St.Louis team that is always at the top... I don't count EN goals lol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maybe it was rust but Klefbom was BAD. If rust was an issue McLellan should have known it would be an issue based on how Klefbom looked in practice.

As for Purcell...disagree. No player expects a dman to make a stupid ill timed line change. No way Purcell or anybody else could have anticipated that.

stupid ill timed change??? When are defenseman supposed to change if not when there forwards have the puck with a very easy opportunity to get the puck deep into the other teams zone.

klefbom was bad?? This place is crazy its like 1/4 of the people didnt even watch the game. Was he great?? no but to say he played BAD is disingenuous.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

ok

A couple of guy who prefer to go get the puck and shoot the puck playing with MCDavid. I am ok with that, I think Korpi had a very solid game yesterday. Id rather see Yak on McDavid's wing, but I can see the logic of having two good veteran defensively sound wingers playing with the kid.

oilz89*

Anyone can come here and spit negativity at players . Dissect there every move every shift and then blame them for whatever.

That St Louis team is simply a bigger , stronger and more mature team. The fact the Oilers were tied in the third period is a credit to the team play and the Talbot.

Mc David was fine. Again, Eichel is physically more developed and played in the NCAA last year against mostly grown men. Connor needs 20 -40 games to get used to the pace. He just left junior.

Eichel is also in the EC. That isn't as big and physical as the WC

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I have beaten this argument to death, but to get back on the Lander argument yet again: it isn't a matter of Lander being bad at hockey. It's matter of skillsets - Lander is good defensively, something of a grinder, and a surprisingly good shooter. His passing/playmaking is probably the weakest part of his game. He's not half the playmaker Roy was last year for us. As a overall hockey player, I take Lander over Roy 10/10 times. But making good lines is more than just putting your best players together. There has to be some fit in terms of playstyle too. Yakupov clearly needs a good playmaker - hence bumping him up to play with McDavid or RNH. Or playing Drai with them was fine too. All of them are great at making plays.
Its a solid point. But we do have to deal in reality. And I think the reality is that the Oilers coaching staff is not willing to put Yakupov on either of the top two lines at this point in his career. Other than a few games here and there (in which Yak has not exactly covered himself in glory) it hasn't happened much in his first three seasons.

So wouldn't it be better for Yakupov to play with a center who is hard working, and defensively responsible? Learn to play his position properly instead of running around all over the ice? Then maybe let some chemistry develop on the offensive side? I mean people are acting like Lander doesn't have the ability to be a good center in this league, which i think is totally wrong. I see some real possibilities with a Lander/Yak pairing.

oilz89*

You'd control his rights for an extra year, let him bulk up and develop physically. This is not the year the Oilers make a run at the Cup, so why not take your time and let him mature and not start the countdown to the ELC-expiration? The face-offs were bordering on embarrassment and there's no need to keep him in the NHL to sell tickets. The future is bright...but that doesn't mean the future is now. If he gets physically dominated for 9-games, it should at least be a discussion amongst the brass...not that I'd expect it to happen.

How the heck would he develop physically against junior players??? Read what you write sometimes :laugh:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Some people see what they want. Like, Mark Arcobello. Our best all round center. :laugh:

Did someone actually say that? Maybe when Nuge and Gordon were both hurt, but its not like we had anyone else besides possibly an underachieving Lander worth mentioning in the argument.

Sure is nice to have the depth that we enjoy now because of the lottery gods giving us the golden ticket

Oct 15, 2008
Yup Klefbom was primarily at fault but that turnover was bad especially from a veteran. There were much smarter plays to make than to try and carry the puck past a d-man that was right on top of you. We need more from a veteran, this is the kind of thing that Hall was getting complained about for years and what got him benched on the WC team a few years back. The biggest problem though was that it wasnt an isolated incident, several times he failed to move the puck and instead took it into a puck battle he lost.

If Klefbom cant go off when his team has possession in the offensive zone maybe you could tell me when he can go off? Purcell coughed up the puck. Needlessly. Lol at people trying to cleanse his sins by passing it off on a tired dman trying to get off the ice while the puck is in the offensive zone.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
And its a good thing Mcellans splitting up the two puck carriers. McDavid has his own line. Hall has his own in a way

Yep. Gives a chance to see how well McDavid can possibly play now that he'll be able to carry the puck more often.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Lets not forget any shooter needs a player that can possess the puck for awhile and setup others. Lander doesn't fit that description. No knock on Lander but he isn't a legitimate topsix NHL player and a #1 draft should almost certainly be used higher up. Yak would help the team more if he had better service. The team seems reticent to give him that opportunity.

I still feel as if Yak is being slotted for departure deal. But een if the org has this in mind they sure aren't showcasing him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'd rather Hendricks on Hall and Nuges line than Purcell. Quit trying to make him a functional player.

Or Klink even. Just a big body that can get in on the forecheck and go to the net to effectively free up space for the skill. Purcell does none of that.

Oct 15, 2008
He is the best player on the team (multiple quotes from Oiler players)
He is the generational prospect, his sucess is more important than Hall. Hall has to cater to Mcdavids game and if McDavid says stop being selfish, Hall has to shut his mouth and nod. Hall had his chance to carry this team and he ****ing blew it, enough of the bull ****. If hall wants the TEAM to suceed, he sacrifices his personal toe drags and 1 on 3's and gives it to the best player on our team. Period.

You sure told him.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad