Oilers lose 2-1

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is what the NHL is. Why watch every game and act surprised by that and ***** and complain?

Maybe if the Oilers realized theres other ways to score than on a rush. That might help.

Fact of the matter in anycase is the Oilers spend maybe 10mins of this game even trying to aggressively threaten the Jets D. We were peripheral and ineffective that vast majority of the game. Anything but a loss for the Oilers in this one would've been undeserved.
Well that's a problem

You basically have to grind a way to score goals now or you don't for the most part.

Unless you are one of the top 5 players in the league.

It leads to boring hockey.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Correct. Over a 82 game schedule you will have games where calls go your way and visa versa.

Except this often is not true some teams and players due to rep etc either get called more or less. Also the thought of , reffing is just terrible and unfair but just because team A gets screwed by heinous calls or lack there of it is okay because a few games from now the team they are playing will be screwed with heinous calls is not a good solution in my books.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Maybe stop blaming the refs and start pointing fingers at the players. The Oilers have had how many coaches the last five years? Are the results close to the same? The Oilers have a ton of talent, but no chemistry. Just my opinion from an outsider.:)

Wut? The oilers players are crap the team is crap and the team has a horrible mix of players, the coaching and front office are a disappointment.

None of that changes the fact that the reffing in this league is a sheer and utter joke for all teams in probably 15 out of 20 games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Or if Yakupov wasn't worse then Letetsu on the pp.

Letetsu is just the newest player Replacement hates who is worse then the all mighty Roy and Gagner.

You can't be serious. Look at who Mark Letestu actually is and ask yourself how he EVER wound up in the NHL.

I like talented players, not talentless dolts that were never drafted and never had talent and just landed in a capped NHL as fill so that teams could complete a lineup card after paying guys like Crosby and Malkin.

People still don't get it a decade after the fact. Players like Toby Petersen, Domenic Pittis, Mark Letestu etc etc (and we've seen tons) are not legit NHL Centers. They are bottomsix dreck fill necessitated by dynamics of cap and having to have a bottomsix. Teams with players like this hope at best for low event hockey in bottomsix.

If you can't see that a Mark Letestu is less talented than a Roy or Gagner..

McDeathbyCheerios*

Wut? The oilers players are crap the team is crap and the team has a horrible mix of players, the coaching and front office are a disappointment.

None of that changes the fact that the reffing in this league is a sheer and utter joke for all teams in probably 15 out of 20 games.
I hate the "the oilers suck don't blame the ref" defense.

Yes we suck.

Does that mean it's okay for the refs to be equally bad? **** no.

Oilers would suck if the refs were bad or not.

It doesn't excuse bad reffing at all.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can't be serious. Look at who Mark Letestu actually is and ask yourself how he EVER wound up in the NHL.

I like talented players, not talentless dolts that were never drafted and never had talent and just landed in a capped NHL as fill so that teams could complete a lineup card after paying guys like Crosby and Malkin.

People still don't get it a decade after the fact. Players like Toby Petersen, Domenic Pittis, Mark Letestu etc etc (and we've seen tons) are not legit NHL Centers. They are bottomsix dreck fill necessitated by dynamics of cap and having to have a bottomsix. Teams with players like this hope at best for low event hockey in bottomsix.

Letestu is here to be a 3rd/4th line center. He wins face offs and scores some goals now and again (way more than Toby Petersen or Dominic Pittis) ... what else do you expect? Roy/Gagner are not ideal for that role because both are poor defensively and poor in the dot.

McDeathbyCheerios*

God damn dude.

You have a loving fascination with guys like Roy, Gagner, Yakupov, Schultz. Who have "talent" but are God awful at hockey.

Then you go out of your way to hate on guys like Letetsu who work their ass off to be where they are.

I'm surprised you aren't crying that the plug Davidson is getting ice time because he isn't "talented"

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

I hate the "the oilers suck don't blame the ref" defense.

Yes we suck.

Does that mean it's okay for the refs to be equally bad? **** no.

Oilers would suck if the refs were bad or not.

It doesn't excuse bad reffing at all.

This.

The Oilers, and the refs can both be bad. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This.

The Oilers, and the refs can both be bad. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Agreed.

Not sure why it has to be one or the other. The Oilers did not play well last night, and probably didn't deserve to win.

That doesn't mean that the clowns in stripes shouldn't be called out for their complete ineptitude at officiating the game last night.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Agreed.

Not sure why it has to be one or the other. The Oilers did not play well last night, and probably didn't deserve to win.

That doesn't mean that the clowns in stripes shouldn't be called out for their complete ineptitude at officiating the game last night.

Usually if you're a crap team it doesn't matter if the refs **** you six ways from sunday or not.

In the Oilers case, we've lost 10 points. I suppose who gives a **** though since we need to baby the sun belt teams, pad their pocket books with playoff revenue for the next three years to maybe justify more expansion into non-existent markets.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
With regard to reffing.....

When they showed Nurse barking at the ref the other night, for a legitimate penalty, it got me thinking. This is a fresh rookie berating a ref, it's never going to end well. From a vet, sure, but not from a rookie.

I get the feeling that Edmonton's players, most being high end players in the minors, were used to getting the calls in Junior. Drawing many penalties and rarely taking any.

They make the move to the NHL and it's a different environment which can lead to frustration. Taking it out on the refs will only hurt their cause.

....just a thought.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see him in front of the net on the PP. I see him on the half boards trying to set things up. It's torture.

Oh the half boards or in the middle standing completely still. Every time someone makes the mistake of passing to him our possession is over, time to go back and get the puck from our own end. Winning the faceoff is great, but he keeps cancelling it out by killing plays. He has zero playmaking ability. His only offensive contributions are by accidentally finding himself in a scoring situation, hacking at the puck and getting lucky now and then. Still no one cares enough to fix his face on nhl.com https://www.nhl.com/player/mark-letestu-8473914?stats=career-r-nhl&season=20152016.

Jun 9, 2011
Woodcroft = Eakins. The only success we have is with McDavid. He shouldn't get a pass for the horrible pp before McDavid, or when McDavid is having an off night. He needs to arrange effective pp for both units. There are a lot of one goal games that we could have won just with a good pp.

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
Another sad game to attend. If it weren't for Ms YEGman wanting tickets for the new arena next year I would have pulled the pin on my Season's Tickets last year because the tunnel continues to be very long with no light in sight.

I knew that keeping the Brown Bag in my avatar was not a mistake....

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Somebody tell me how McLellan or Woodcroft is granting Toby Letestu +5Mins of PP in a game?

Why?

Sheer genius behind this bench.

Einsteins are at work

I don't think I've ever agreed with you more, about virtually everything you've been posting lately, than now. This and the bit on the officials and your general observations on the game. Pretty much bang on. Scary how much I'm agreeing with you lately lol

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
You know it's tragic when I'm not remotely caring there's a hockey game on Saturday night, prime time, with McDavid in the fold.

The Oilers absolutely crush your enthusiasm for the sport. It's tragic what this has become. I want to watch and be able to enjoy again. I mean this team has the best player to enter the league since god knows when and I didn't even remotely consider to watch the game for even a minute.

That is really sad, people.

To be fair the NBA All Stat skills and dunk competitions were on and they were sensational, thank goodness.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just embrace apathy. A friend invited me to play video games and that seemed like a much better plan than watching the flopping fish known as the Oilers flip around aimlessly in the boat that is the NHL.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Just embrace apathy. A friend invited me to play video games and that seemed like a much better plan than watching the flopping fish known as the Oilers flip around aimlessly in the boat that is the NHL.

And that boat is capsizing and several of the people on the boat are running around bailing out water from the sinking ship while others shoot more holes into the boat trying to kill the fish flopping around on the deck. Several larger boats are power-boating around the NHL-ship, some firing cannons directly at it, some doing cool jumps over the sinking hull.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And that boat is capsizing and several of the people on the boat are running around bailing out water from the sinking ship while others shoot more holes into the boat trying to kill the fish flopping around on the deck. Several larger boats are power-boating around the NHL-ship, some firing cannons directly at it, some doing cool jumps over the sinking hull.

Boy no kidding. The NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS and NASCAR are lapping th NHL with a cruise liner while the NHL thinks it can get by in a dinghy.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I mean yeah sure, the oilers couldn't score, but that doesn't mean the refs are allowed to do their jobs terribly. Its beyond irritating to see anybody trying to justify the officiating in this league. Crock of ****.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
God damn dude.

You have a loving fascination with guys like Roy, Gagner, Yakupov, Schultz. Who have "talent" but are God awful at hockey.

Then you go out of your way to hate on guys like Letetsu who work their ass off to be where they are.

I'm surprised you aren't crying that the plug Davidson is getting ice time because he isn't "talented"

lol I never liked or wanted Schultz ever. What a complete fabrication. I wanted the Oil to pick up Roy , the did, and I predicted he and Yak would produce, which they did.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I feel like our PK looks better in the ozone more often than our PP. They also get better entries too.

Time to fire or relegate Woodcroft to a different thing. Get Ralph Krueger to coach the PP by skype, it would probably be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad