Oilers lose 2-1

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Only got to catch the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and OT, but it looks like LB had a solid night for the most part. That fist shootout goal I think rattled him for the other shots.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Notice how Chiarot's stick bends when he hooks Purcell...

nw6e9U8.gif

Disgusting. I was swearing at the TV at the time, but this just frustrates me more. This whole game management concept from the officials is ludicrous. In the playoffs, fine, assuming it goes both ways, but this game was the toilet bowl and had no effect on either team's season, call the bloody game the way it should be!

It just makes no sense that a league that would try so hard to remove John Scott from an All-Star game because it compromises the skill of our game also takes no issue with "game management" from officiating crews. Because clearly a 5-on-3 in overtime that would feature McDavid, Hall, Eberle and Draisaitl wouldn't be good for the game.

Just seems like a blatant double standard. A penalty should be a penalty regardless of the time or situation it occurs. If 2 over the glass infractions occur back to back, it's not like they can consider the time on the clock or the gravity of the situation. So frustrating.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The blame the officiating thing is getting tired. Both teams deal with the same officiating. That wasn't what this game was about.

What happened last night was chapter 368 in this team being clueless against any team playing an NZ game. Winnipeg had numbers back all day and were clogging and just letting Edmonton self destruct by forcing plays as we always do anytime we see this set.

As Oiler fans we probably see teams employ locks as much as anybody in the league because its such a no brainer easy approach against the Oilers who will get frustrated, self destruct, turn the puck over all night.

Edmonton for over 3 periods did NOTHING, absolutely zilch on 5 on 5 play. They had no clue how to generate offense, maintain possession, keep it low, etc. They barely had the puck.

Hey if people want to blame officials for abject EV futility have at her.

But this was a home team that never got untracked in their own barn against a pretty bad club.

This was worse hockey than any WHA game I saw.

We have coaches here? I think they've given up too.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Disgusting. I was swearing at the TV at the time, but this just frustrates me more. This whole game management concept from the officials is ludicrous. In the playoffs, fine, assuming it goes both ways, but this game was the toilet bowl and had no effect on either team's season, call the bloody game the way it should be!

Jets fan here and most NHL fans are sick of the bad or no call refereeing and I have put this question out before is:

Are Refs allowed to personally and secretly wager on Games? :nod:

Kinda makes you wonder eh!

Last edited:

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Can't play 10 minutes of 60 and expect to win,even against pathetic teams like the Jets.

Chia needs to fix the D and then make sure we have players that can play 82 games. Too many guys just looking tired out three every game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Somebody tell me how McLellan or Woodcroft is granting Toby Letestu +5Mins of PP in a game?

Why?

Sheer genius behind this bench.

Einsteins are at work

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Because Letestu is...............???

Somebody tell me how McLellan or Woodcroft is granting Toby Letestu +5Mins of PP in a game?

Why?

Sheer genius behind this bench.

Einsteins are at work

Because Letestu is their best faceoff center and when they get the puck........he's not afraid to stand in front of the net.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hall and Drai are not going right now, we need to change it up.

Hall Mcdavid Eberle
Pouliot Drai Yak
Purcell Letestu Kassian
Pak Hendricks Korps

I know Hall and Mcdavid weren't working to start the year, but both have come a long way since then.

Yak and Drai hasn't been tried yet as far as I know, so why not give it a shot, and Pouliot can plug in anywhere.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Because Letestu is their best faceoff center and when they get the puck........he's not afraid to stand in front of the net.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see him in front of the net on the PP. I see him on the half boards trying to set things up. It's torture.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Game was no surprise the oilers can't beat big heavy teams it is as simple as that and it will remain that way until they change the team dynamic, if ever.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Game was no surprise the oilers can't beat big heavy teams it is as simple as that and it will remain that way until they change the team dynamic, if ever.

They can definitely beat a team like that, if we could ever have more than 1 line going at a time.

Honestly, is hall and drai played half as well as they did while Mcdavid was out, we'd have killed them.

I don't understand why when one line gets hot, the others all have to suck.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The blame the officiating thing is getting tired. Both teams deal with the same officiating.

That comment makes no sense because if you have a fast team and a grappling team and the refs make no calls on either, who do you think it favors?

The referring in this league is a sheer and utter disgrace, nothing short of that. And last night has zero to do with my opinion on this. watch any single game between any two teams on any night and there will be 3 to 4 minimum head shaking calls or non calls.

Hook on a break away? By all means let it go. Tug in the offensive zone? penalty, break a guys stick because it is made out of some balsa wood like graphite? to the box you go. Accidentally shoot the puck over the glass? Off you go.

The last 5 or so years of reffing has been by FAR the worst I have seen in all my years of following hockey and it is not even close.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see him in front of the net on the PP. I see him on the half boards trying to set things up. It's torture.

Thank you, and exactly. Letestu is on the halfboards, as if he's an NHL PP QB

This is Toby Letestu running our PP with direction from Woodcroft.

my lord, haven't we suffered enough?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That comment makes no sense because if you have a fast team and a grappling team and the refs make no calls on either, who do you think it favors?

The referring in this league is a sheer and utter disgrace, nothing short of that. And last night has zero to do with my opinion on this. watch any single game between any two teams on any night and there will be 3 to 4 minimum head shaking calls or non calls.

Hook on a break away? By all means let it go. Tug in the offensive zone? penalty, break a guys stick because it is made out of some balsa wood like graphite? to the box you go. Accidentally shoot the puck over the glass? Off you go.

The last 5 or so years of reffing has been by FAR the worst I have seen in all my years of following hockey and it is not even close.

This is what the NHL is. Why watch every game and act surprised by that and ***** and complain?

Maybe if the Oilers realized theres other ways to score than on a rush. That might help.

Fact of the matter in anycase is the Oilers spend maybe 10mins of this game even trying to aggressively threaten the Jets D. We were peripheral and ineffective that vast majority of the game. Anything but a loss for the Oilers in this one would've been undeserved.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thank you, and exactly. Letestu is on the halfboards, as if he's an NHL PP QB

This is Toby Letestu running our PP with direction from Woodcroft.

my lord, haven't we suffered enough?

Letestu wouldn't be on the PP if our centers could reliably win a faceoff, but they're either too young (McDavid and Draisaitl) or haven't developed this aspect of their game (RNH) to do it yet.

Nelson basically did the same thing last year by putting Lander on the PP for draws.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Letestu wouldn't be on the PP if our centers could reliably win a faceoff, but they're either too young (McDavid and Draisaitl) or haven't developed this aspect of their game (RNH) to do it yet.

Nelson basically did the same thing last year by putting Lander on the PP for draws.
Or if Yakupov wasn't worse then Letetsu on the pp.

Letetsu is just the newest player Replacement hates who is worse then the all mighty Roy and Gagner.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The blame the officiating thing is getting tired. Both teams deal with the same officiating. That wasn't what this game was about.

What happened last night was chapter 368 in this team being clueless against any team playing an NZ game. Winnipeg had numbers back all day and were clogging and just letting Edmonton self destruct by forcing plays as we always do anytime we see this set.

As Oiler fans we probably see teams employ locks as much as anybody in the league because its such a no brainer easy approach against the Oilers who will get frustrated, self destruct, turn the puck over all night.

Edmonton for over 3 periods did NOTHING, absolutely zilch on 5 on 5 play. They had no clue how to generate offense, maintain possession, keep it low, etc. They barely had the puck.

Hey if people want to blame officials for abject EV futility have at her.

But this was a home team that never got untracked in their own barn against a pretty bad club.

This was worse hockey than any WHA game I saw.

We have coaches here? I think they've given up too.

Correct. Over a 82 game schedule you will have games where calls go your way and visa versa.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Last year the team would put either Gordon or Lander on the PP faceoff. They would then have him come off the ice immediately. Not play a complete shift everytime.

Toby Letestu had +5Mins PP toi last night in an NHL game.

Theres no explaining that.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This is what the NHL is. Why watch every game and act surprised by that and ***** and complain?

Maybe if the Oilers realized theres other ways to score than on a rush. That might help.

Fact of the matter in anycase is the Oilers spend maybe 10mins of this game even trying to aggressively threaten the Jets D. We were peripheral and ineffective that vast majority of the game. Anything but a loss for the Oilers in this one would've been undeserved.

Oh I will complain if I feel something is not right or just. I'm not going to nod my head and say 'oh well, next game the refs can utterly screw the other team and it will all even up.' Call the game properly or change the rules, don't flat out lie about the application of the rules. So no I will never stop complaining about it until it improves. It is badly affecting the quality of hockey.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Maybe stop blaming the refs and start pointing fingers at the players. The Oilers have had how many coaches the last five years? Are the results close to the same? The Oilers have a ton of talent, but no chemistry. Just my opinion from an outsider.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad