Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 2-0

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
It's his 4th year in the league and he looks just as much a perimeter powerplay player as he always has. Four years in and his best year was still his rookie year. He hasn't shown an iota of development. Yet he's somehow continues to escape criticism on these boards.

Look at Tavares, Stamkos, Hall, Kane... then look at RNH. Kids not in the same stratosphere.

I'm too lazy and inept to look up their first 3 year ppg, but I'm guessing the numbers aren't all that far off. RNH's defensive IQ makes up some of that gap. There was and is a reason he went first overall, and he had some moments tonight.

If you don't think that RNH is more than a 55 point centre then name your terns on a bet.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
You're sure of Yak and Nuge, but not PPG+ Taylor Hall?

Get a clue.

No. I'm not sure of Hall. He doesn't play defence man. It's like having Ovechkin score 50 goals for you and he ends up a minus 20. He is awesome on the powerplay. He got a great 5-3 goal the other night. Way to go man. Time to carry this team or step aside

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
No. I'm not sure of Hall. He doesn't play defence man. It's like having Ovechkin score 50 goals for you and he ends up a minus 20. He is awesome on the powerplay. He got a great 5-3 goal the other night. Way to go man. Time to carry this team or step aside

Hall leads the trio offensively. If he doesn't get going in the game, they rarely do. If you're going to criticize Hall based on defence, I'm surprised you didn't mention Eberle.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I thought Yakupov started out real strong but he needs to focus on defense to really keep his game going.

Some of his choices are terrible. Similar to Eberle, sometimes but Ebs was pretty poised in this game. Not as good defensively but better possession than Yak.

These guys and RNH were totally invisible. Did anyone dole out a hit tonight? Weak *** performance.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Florida has only scored 4 ****ing goals total in their 1st 4 games... and they are 2 pts ahead of the Oilers with a game in hand.

This team blows in SO many ways.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009

Hall is the best player on this team night in and night out. That is obvious to anyone who has watched the Oilers the past few seasons. If you're not sold on a guy who finished top 10 in scoring two seasons in a row I see no point in arguing about it.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
The media is letting them off the hook but i wont.

They played like scared babies all game.

This was almost as bad as the Kings game TBH.

Especially the back half of the game. No one taking it to the net. The Canucks schooled them in all three zones.

No flow the last 10 minutes of the 3rd when they needed a goal for basically their season.

4th line best line again tonight. Embarrassing. Hall goes hard but needs to use his teammates too.

Whole team has lost faith in itself. Any preseason swagger these guys had is gone.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton

This team without Hall is even worse to watch...he carries this team as much as he can.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
RNH is gamer man. I can't believe people are now attacking him. He has to drag Hall and Eberle around every game while they coast back on defence. Nuge and Yak are the only pieces on this team I am sure of.

So you're sure of the worst two 1st overall picks since Patrick Stefan, but not sure of the one who has finished top 10 in league scoring in back to back years.

If that's the case, I might question your ability to judge talent.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hall leads the trio offensively. If he doesn't get going in the game, they rarely do. If you're going to criticize Hall based on defence, I'm surprised you didn't mention Eberle.

thank you.

hall saved a freaking goal today, and has looked fantastic at both ends of the ice...almost like vintage hossa.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
1402090800633.jpg

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton

I have man haha. Hall and Eberle are the players I'm really starting to question. I don't like their attitudes. I can't believe they each have an A.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
So you're sure of the worst two 1st overall picks since Patrick Stefan, but not sure of the one who has finished top 10 in league scoring in back to back years.

If that's the case, I might question your ability to judge talent.

how do you figure that?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm not feeling the doom and gloom tonight we played a good game for the most part, we were far more defensively sound then any other point this season. I thought this was easily Scrivens and Nikitins best performances so far this year, so that's a positive; Marincin was nice to have back and I'm assuming he's up for the rest of the year now.

Nuge didn't play particularly well, it's pretty clear he's still feeling a bit beat up. Perron has been playing far more timid and with less determination then is the norm for him, I'm thinking his hip injury is really bothering him. Draisaitl definitely needs more time to hone his game, so hopefully we can add an experienced center real soon. Purcell deserves the goat horns tonight as he pretty much cost us the game with his horrible pass, followed by reading the defensive coverage horribly .

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I have man haha. Hall and Eberle are the players I'm really starting to question. I don't like their attitudes. I can't believe they each have an A.

What part of Halls' attitude don't you like? He may act a bit immature at times, but this guy is one of the few who plays with his heart. He's damn frustrated right now as much as we are, and he wants to win. There's a reason why he has an A. He's the future C of this team. As a matter of my opinion, he should be the C over Ference right now. Ference has done nothing to warrant being the C still.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The media is letting them off the hook but i wont.

They played like scared babies all game.

This was almost as bad as the Kings game TBH.

Especially the back half of the game. No one taking it to the net. The Canucks schooled them in all three zones.

No flow the last 10 minutes of the 3rd when they needed a goal for basically their season.

4th line best line again tonight. Embarrassing. Hall goes hard but needs to use his teammates too.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm shocked that anybody thought that this was a good game.

It only looked halfway decent because the Canucks basically cruised throughout the game. Did they even break a sweat?

They didn't have many defensive breakdowns which I suppose is some form of progress but by and large, it was a disorganized mess outside of the 4th line which also faded as the game went along.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not really. Easy game for Miller. The Canucks only needed to give minimal effort, keep everything to the outside and easy victory. Story of the last 5 years and doesn't look to be changing anytime soon. No team structure, no team chemistry, no chance.

Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned it. When the 4th line is their best line, that's a problem. The 4th line has been their best line in most of the games this season.

I think Hall requests a trade sometime this season. Based on his on ice body language, it looks like he's either done with the Oilers or done with the coach so it's only a matter of time until he reaches his boiling point and asks out.
Also, it seems like Perron has been poisoned by the Oilers culture. Virtually non-existent all season.

The team is poisoned with losing and there's no cure it seems.

There is a cure, and I thought MacT had the balls to do it with his talk of "bold" moves, but by the way things are looking he doesn't. Needs to trade two of the big four and fire Eakins. Then get a coach who won't just try to keep reworking a system that doesn't work, and will instill a work ethic among the group similar to what Hartley's done with Calgary. Out of the trades I'd be wanting a top 6 center back and a top pairing dman. Time to start building a team and stop relying on individuals to carry the team because of their talent.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
thank you.

hall saved a freaking goal today, and has looked fantastic at both ends of the ice...almost like vintage hossa.

One guy does not a team make. He is their only real asset. Every single other player is so flawed. What a brutal collection of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad