Post-Game Talk: Oilers Join The Mile High Club

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
except that it CLEARLY wasn’t to the head...but I guess the chest is close enough to just call every hit to the chest/shoulder a headshot now.

You think that’s chest level? Maybe the follow through sure, but to me it looks like he got him straight in the neck/jaw.

Regardless, it was a cheap shot after the whistle. No need for that at all.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
If it was McD I'd be pissed off, but only if no penalty would have been called on the play. If this happened to McDavid and we got a 5 min + game for an opponents D I'd feel lucky and be pretty damn happy. That's an awesome chance to gain momentum.

Add that the affected player had no issue coming back out and play later. While our guy is off and on concussion protocol...

Chiasson can thank Larsson for that one, has nothing to do with the Avs player doing anything dirty/cheap.

And 5 and a game is harsh for sure, but it sets a precedence. Target the head With your elbow, after the whistle, pay the price. Glad they’re cracking down on BS like this. Has no place in the game

Reactions: Debbie Mathers

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'm wondering if Chiasson may have a rib or sternum injury vs. a concussion? Regardless, I could see him missing some time as that was a hellacious hit.
Possibly, tbh honest I saw the 'concussion protocol' claim on hf, so it's not validated (and I didn't look further into it). But looking at the hit part of it was most definitely at the head. I am not saying dirty hit. Bad pass plus Chiasson not keeping his head up was the main issue, but there was definitely contact with the head..

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Russell was back in the third and sounds like RNH might be back for the next game.
I believe Rishaug tweeted earlier that RNH would miss the weekend games.

I would honestly call up Benson at this point. He's our best offensive option down there and maybe playing in Vancouver would be a nice boost for him.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Chiasson can thank Larsson for that one, has nothing to do with the Avs player doing anything dirty/cheap.

And 5 and a game is harsh for sure, but it sets a precedence. Target the head With your elbow, after the whistle, pay the price. Glad they’re cracking down on BS like this. Has no place in the game
I am not against setting a precedent, but despite it being a clean hit our guy is apparently out with a concussion. Their guy is not, from a dirty hit to the head... No matter how you put it, that's a bit odd.

Reactions: Porkleaker

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

I would honestly call up Benson at this point. He's our best offensive option down there and maybe playing in Vancouver would be a nice boost for him.

Call up Colby “AHL superstar” Cave or Jurco.

Send down Jones and call up Lagesson.

Not angry about last night just disappointed. Our best players decided to play hero and make stupid plays from late 2nd onwards. Lots of forced plays that showed impatience.

Reactions: Porkleaker

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Oops. Misread another tweet and thought last night was the last game he was out.

I think it's a good chance to give Nygard some offensive minutes.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Oops. Misread another tweet and thought last night was the last game he was out.

I think it's a good chance to give Nygard some offensive minutes.

Free Nygard. I think with some offensive confidence and refinement he could be a 20 goal guy. Do I think it will happen? Probably not.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Call up Colby “AHL superstar” Cave or Jurco.

Send down Jones and call up Lagesson.

Not angry about last night just disappointed. Our best players decided to play hero and make stupid plays from late 2nd onwards. Lots of forced plays that showed impatience.

Haha I think Colby has leveled out back to AHL regular guy. The last game I saw he looked very ordinary.

I would call up Currie or Benson.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Haha I think Colby has leveled out back to AHL regular guy. The last game I saw he looked very ordinary.

I would call up Currie or Benson.
I think Currie is nothing more than AHL fodder as well. Benson is a great unknown, but I really don't think he's ready yet.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
2 minute elbow....Larsson is barely moving lol
It sounds odd to say Larsson put his elbow up for the guy to skate into it but that’s exactly what it looks like. I’ve seen dozens of face washes that were nastier or with more malice.

That so called video review reminded me of the goaltender interference review in the playoff game against Anaheim where the referees were hell bent on finding something, anything really, to justify the call they already made while ignoring everything else that happened. That’s what the problem with this system is. If you’re going to properly use video review it needs to be done by someone not involved in the game who can look at the play without any emotion or bias.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Dude is just a nightmare these days, makes plays that end up in the back of our net (last game) or completely flip a perfectly winnable game on its head while getting a teammate injured (this game).

Honestly almost wish he had stayed on the IR until December, he's done nothing good since coming back.
Let it go already. Both teams lost that trade.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It sounds odd to say Larsson put his elbow up for the guy to skate into it but that’s exactly what it looks like. I’ve seen dozens of face washes that were nastier or with more malice.

That so called video review reminded me of the goaltender interference review in the playoff game against Anaheim where the referees were hell bent on finding something, anything really, to justify the call they already made while ignoring everything else that happened. That’s what the problem with this system is. If you’re going to properly use video review it needs to be done by someone not involved in the game who can look at the play without any emotion or bias.

You saw this exactly as I did. My guess is in the moment he saw a guy coming at him and just reacted. I saw no intent at all. There was no typical "elbowing motion." It's why I said you see this in scrums all the time. Gloves and sticks come up and guys get leather on the beak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad