Prospect Info: Oilers invite Russian Prospect Vladimir Tkachev to Training Camp

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Tkachev, Zharkov, Yakimov, Slepyshev.... one of them's gotta work out... right? RIGHT?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I honestly hope they sign him, a guy like Hamilton will be pushed out, so the amount contracts should level out, and you improve your prospect depth.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
the Oilers baffle me sometimes....they don't want the almost exact same talent in Toni Rajala at 5' 10" and 165, but they want Connor and Kellen Jones in the system, both at 5' 9" and 165 and now Tkachev at 5' 8" and 165. just baffling!

One kid wanted to leave NA and go for KHL $$... The other wants to leave KHL and give NA a shot.

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
the Oilers baffle me sometimes....they don't want the almost exact same talent in Toni Rajala at 5' 10" and 165, but they want Connor and Kellen Jones in the system, both at 5' 9" and 165 and now Tkachev at 5' 8" and 165. just baffling!

From what I understand, the only reason Toni Rajala was released is because he didn't see an NHL opportunity for himself in Edmonton last season and preferred to play in Europe for more money as opposed to the AHL and asked to be released from his NHL deal.

The Jones twins are in the Oilers system but are signed to AHL deals. They do not count against Edmonton's 50 contract limit and are technically free to sign an NHL deal with any other team if they so choose. Playing in OKC or Bakersfield allows the Oilers and their staff to keep tabs on them without 100% committing to them which is win-win from an Edmonton POV.

Tkachev is another small forward who oozes skill. He is very shifty and may be able to survive by eluding bigger defenders. Time will tell but it could end up being a very good move for the organization if he pans out. From watching him play in Moncton, I'm positive he will impress enough at camp to earn a contract. I'm looking forward to seeing what type of player he can become at the next level.

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
Like the move. No risk. He does well we sign him, if not what do you lose?

Plus if Edmonton signs him, his contract won't count against the 50 contract limit this year once he's sent back to junior. His contract will slide. This same rule applies to Nurse and any other junior aged player (excluding 20s) who spends the season at the junior level.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
From what I understand, the only reason Toni Rajala was released is because he didn't see an NHL opportunity for himself in Edmonton last season and preferred to play in Europe for more money as opposed to the AHL and asked to be released from his NHL deal.

The Jones twins are in the Oilers system but are signed to AHL deals. They do not count against Edmonton's 50 contract limit and are technically free to sign an NHL deal with any other team if they so choose. Playing in OKC or Bakersfield allows the Oilers and their staff to keep tabs on them without 100% committing to them which is win-win from an Edmonton POV.

Tkachev is another small forward who oozes skill. He is very shifty and may be able to survive by eluding bigger defenders. Time will tell but it could end up being a very good move for the organization if he pans out. From watching him play in Moncton, I'm positive he will impress enough at camp to earn a contract. I'm looking forward to seeing what type of player he can become at the next level.

^fair enough. i wasn't sure when it came to the stories on the Jones boys and Rajala, so thanx for clearing that up. having said that, i actually don't mind the signing. Tkachev was ranked #60 for NA players on the CSS 2014 final draft rankings, so it's a low risk, potentially high reward for the Oilers.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm just surprised that a "loophole" like this exists. I thought every player under 20 had to go through the draft and couldn't be a "free agent" but obviously there is precedent for this so hopefully the Oilers are watching for more opportunities like this out there.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
They also have another small guy in Arcobello. That being said, it'll be at least 5 seasons before Tkachev will even have to clear waivers by the look of things(still has 2 years of junior before he's an over-ager) . The team will look vastly different by that point and might have a position for a skilled winger.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
looks like a player that a team could take a chance on but are the Oilers even a good fit here?

too many finesse players there already, though if he shines maybe someone gets moved?

still a long way to go before that happens though.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yes this is a small finesse player... but let's say over the next few years the Oilers beef up their team with a few larger players like Draisaital/Chase/Moroz/Khaira/Yakimov/Slepyshev (and even some fringe prospects like Ewanyk/McCarron) etc.

Suddenly the forwards as a group aren't so small collectively.. so there is room for a few smaller forwards when they are mixed in with more beef. Right now yes... it's more of the same but if all goes as planned the Oilers aren't going to stay small and as easy to push around as they are now (hopefully).

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
looks like a player that a team could take a chance on but are the Oilers even a good fit here?

too many finesse players there already, though if he shines maybe someone gets moved?

still a long way to go before that happens though.

Right. We won't know until 2018 whether or not it was a good idea but there is little downside.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Get him signed and let him tear up the Q next season. Never know he could grow a couple inches fill out and quickly turn into a real option. Nice to have a few skilled players in the system who can potentially slot on when injuries hit.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
No risk, if they give him contract. He's small, but he's probably a least 3-4 year project. By then the make-up of the team may be very different.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Tkachev, Zharkov, Yakimov, Slepyshev.... one of them's gotta work out... right? RIGHT?

Well, sounds like Zharkov is pretty much a bust at this point. Yakimov is the only one who may have a real shot to make it one day, since he's already coming to the AHL.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
This this and more this. I don't understand the move.

Is he a right winger as well?

Wow, we potentially found Omark version 2.0.

I suppose these kind of moves don't hurt but I am completely lost as to why we are even bothering. Our winger depth is ridicules, his skill set not needed, and I am not even sure why he would want to sign here since he has such a small chance of making the team in the next 5+ years.

Because he's a 4 years' project in the best case scenario. Who knows what roster looks like at the time. It never hurts to have a prospect with high upside in the pool.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The one big positive for Tkachev is that he will continue to play in Moncton next year. Historically, Moncton plays a defense first system. Hopefull Tkatchev will learn some good habits there that will make him successful at the pro level.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I guess some people are forgetting the size in our forward prospects coming up. No issues giving a 5'8 skilled forward a tryout. In a few years the look of our roster will be different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad