Prospect Info: Oilers invite Russian Prospect Vladimir Tkachev to Training Camp

McDeathbyCheerios*

His stat lines are interesting.

And although camp invites are risk-free, what are they expecting to see from this kid? After Omark, Rajala, Rieder and the other half dozen undersized wingers who've gone through the system, what would he have that they didn't?
Undersized wingers can either be amazing or fall of a everest sized cliff. Look at guys like Zucarello and St Louis, both good players, both undrafted, both very small. It costs us nothing other then maybe flight and accommodations so it's a win win for us. Either we give it a try and he sucks or... He succeeds.

Good move.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

And although camp invites are risk-free, what are they expecting to see from this kid? After Omark, Rajala, Rieder and the other half dozen undersized wingers who've gone through the system, what would he have that they didn't?

This this and more this. I don't understand the move.

Is he a right winger as well?

Wow, we potentially found Omark version 2.0.

I suppose these kind of moves don't hurt but I am completely lost as to why we are even bothering. Our winger depth is ridicules, his skill set not needed, and I am not even sure why he would want to sign here since he has such a small chance of making the team in the next 5+ years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This is a real good invite. He is probaly better than anyone we drafted this year besides LD and Lagesson. His ridiculously skilled.

Him and Holmberg will be fun to watch at camp, one of them should be a good AHLer possible NHLer.

He is two years younger than Holmberg two.

Does he have to play in the CHL next year? Or AHL. It would be funny to watch him and Holmberg outscore Godrau and Bartschi next AHL season.

He is two years younger than Godrau and has similar stat lines (better ppg, easier league) than JG at same age. Pretty similar skill too

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I suppose these kind of moves don't hurt but I am completely lost as to why we are even bothering. Our winger depth is ridicules, his skill set not needed, and I am not even sure why he would want to sign here since he has such a small chance of making the team in the next 5+ years.

He's likely three years out from the NHL ( if he ever makes it). Who knows who our wingers are in 3 years. We maybe have to replace Yak or Ebs if they are traded.

Our forward prospects are abysmal, we can always use more.

Even if this guy only tops out as a 60 pt AHL guy, he is still adding value by surrounding prospects in the AHL with skill

Oct 30, 2011
Wait, is this not the same player?

Same player.

It costs us nothing to send him a camp invite, so this is a no risk move.

If they like him, he gets an ELC and goes back to jr. If not, then he probably goes back to jr anyway and goes back into the draft.

I wouldn't mind signing him if he shows well at camp. It's like having an extra 7th rounder and taking some skill.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Nice pickup. Stock the shelves MacT. Never know when your gonna need him.

Maybe Yaks attitude (the good part anyways...which I think is most of it) will rub off on some of these players from his own country. Not saying the Russians have poor attitudes, but that damned Russian factor always seems to creep in the NHL every once in a while.

Maybe we should stop calling it the Russian factor though. There are Canadian, American, and European players that do the same thing every so often.

It's not only Russians Mr. Cherry. :D

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I've seen this guy in games first-hand. He plays for a team I passionately dislike based on regional rivalry, but I have to admit I like the invite.

He had some strange visa issues last season (related to Canadian government workers' rolling strikes), and was very late arriving in Canada. Once he got here, he showed he was worth the wait. The small sample size and the KHL history are probably the only reasons he wasn't drafted, because there is no shortage of skill.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I'm very for this. I don't care about size as long as at an NHL level moves are made to augment what you have. Hope we can sign him.

You know, we honestly have a lack of small skilled forwards in the system. ;)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why not? As long as he's stronger on his skates than Gagner was it doesn't matter how small he is.

Aceonfire*

I am a huge fan of this signing. You can never have to many skilled players.

Will he get to play in the Penticton tournament? That would be sick to have him play with Yakimov.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't worry. When Drai gets the call, it'll be like watching 2 Gagner's at the same time.

He's probably 3X as strong as Gagner was! :nod: I have nothing against smaller players, they just need to be either exceptionally fast, strong, skilled or full of heart to get to where they need to go.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am a huge fan of this signing. You can never have to many skilled players.

Will he get to play in the Penticton tournament? That would be sick to have him play with Yakimov.

I believe that it's just an invite not an actual signing as of yet anyway.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

That's the question the team gets to try and find an answer to at camp. Hence why he was invited! :)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

The super small sample size has him tucked in neatly with top end of the first round draft picks this year - including Draisaitl. So the team gets to extend that sample size a bit and take a crack at a player who could add some significant skill to the team.

You asked why the Oilers are bothering. You might as well ask why they bother even drafting players then. Strange question. There is an incredibly small down side to this, and such massive upside.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The super small sample size has him tucked in neatly with top end of the first round draft picks this year - including Draisaitl. So the team gets to extend that sample size a bit and take a crack at a player who could add some significant skill to the team.

You asked why the Oilers are bothering. You might as well ask why they bother even drafting players then. Strange question. There is an incredibly small down side to this, and such massive upside.

Agreed - nothing but positivity to this. I love that the oilers are taking flyers on smaller skilled guys like him, Holmberg, and Winquist. With Omark, Rieder, Rajala and Hartikainen all flying the coop for one reason or another we suddenly had quite a lack of talent up front on the farm.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
These kinds of moves can pay off sometimes. I remember when we brought Nick Holden to camp on an invite and I was really hoping we'd sign him. After some good seasons in the AHL, he played a regular shift in Columbus last year and ended up scoring 10 goals in only 54 games.

We have a ton of skill already but I don't see that as a reason to not bring in a guy like Tkachev. If he shows anything in camp, we'd be silly not to sign him to a contract and see how he develops. He's the kind of player who might not be ready for 3 years (if he develops) and if that's the case, who knows what our team will look like at that point. I really like this move and it would be awesome if he got a chance to play in Penticton and lit it up.

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
Some quotes from Tkachev from yesterday:

“I wasn’t happy about not being drafted. It was probably the Russian factor with people thinking that I will go back home to play in the KHL. I made the decision after last season that I’m not going to play in the KHL again. I just want to play in Moncton this season and keep improving my game. I’m happy with my decision to come back here. The NHL is what I’m thinking about. The NHL is my dream and I’m going to work hard to get there.â€

And from the Moncton Wildcats GM:

“I think that NHL teams did make a mistake by not drafting Tkachev. It's going to take a team to be very patient with him. If I was with an NHL team and I had a guy like him, I would have a four-year plan for him. A lot of it would be physical training and getting stronger. I would invest time and effort in him. I believe that when you’ve got a mind and a talent like him that he could turn out to be a player like Henrik Zetterberg. He’s not big, but he’s highly skilled and has an ability t avoid people.â€

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
the Oilers baffle me sometimes....they don't want the almost exact same talent in Toni Rajala at 5' 10" and 165, but they want Connor and Kellen Jones in the system, both at 5' 9" and 165 and now Tkachev at 5' 8" and 165. just baffling!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad