LeBrun: Oilers interested in T Ennis, offering a 4th round pick

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Tierney/Pageau and Ennis makes a ton of sense. 2 much needed depth forwards. Depends wheat OTT would want. If it ends up being a first Holland will go for Tierney+Ennis instead.
Tierney + Ennis vs Pulju + 4rnd and every one his happy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Tierney/Pageau and Ennis makes a ton of sense. 2 much needed depth forwards. Depends wheat OTT would want. If it ends up being a first Holland will go for Tierney+Ennis instead.
I don't know that Pageau has more value than Tierney right now.

Ennis + 2020 SJ 6th rd pick for Edm 2021 3rd rd pick (2020 pick potentially lost in Lucic trade) and Brandon Manning

Manning's contract expires at the end of the season making $2.25M now, although obviously most of that contract is paid at this point, just knocking a little caphit off our books.

This is the exact type of trade I'd be targeting.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Ennis is one of those guys that you don’t want in the lineup 82 games out of the year. He’s tries to do way too much offensively, never makes the simple play.
Has speed and okay hands but he’s not a bottom 6 forward and not really good enough in the top 6 unless heavily sheltered.

For Edmonton he’d be okay as they’re starved for forward depth.
He’s also having a good year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ennis is an alright player but I don't think he solves any of the Oilers issues. I don't think he slots high enough in the Oilers lineup to be effective. I strongly suspect they would let him walk in the off-season as well.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Could see the Oilers being interested in Ennis.

What about Tierney? Are Sens likely to move him at the deadline?

Tierney is offensively mediocre but we need him to insulate our prospects who should start filtering into the NHL next season so I'm doubtful we'll move him this TDL.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Tierney is offensively mediocre but we need him to insulate our prospects who should start filtering into the NHL next season so I'm doubtful we'll move him this TDL.

I figured they’d move one of Pageau or Tierney and it sounds like they might keep Pageau since the offers maybe aren’t what they feel they need to move him. I think it would be smart to keep Pageau. They’re pretty stocked on picks. A guy like Pageau is someone who will help the younger guys along.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I figured they’d move one of Pageau or Tierney and it sounds like they might keep Pageau since the offers maybe aren’t what they feel they need to move him. I think it would be smart to keep Pageau. They’re pretty stocked on picks. A guy like Pageau is someone who will help the younger guys along.

With how bad we are at C, I'm not sure it makes sense to move any of them since we have to rely on our prospects and we don't want to ask too much, too soon from our kids.

I'd love to dump Tierney, I hate watching him, he is so average it hurts.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Ennis is an alright player but I don't think he solves any of the Oilers issues. I don't think he slots high enough in the Oilers lineup to be effective. I strongly suspect they would let him walk in the off-season as well.

Definitely not a long term solution but I think he could be a guy that could catch lightning in a bottle for 20-30 games. Local guy, grew up an oilers fan, who hasn’t had much playoff success and coming from an on playoff team to one in the thick of the fight. I think he would be excited to come in and make an impact for his hometown team.

Hes shown the ability to compliment skilled players in the past and as you mentioned the Oilers are starved for even somewhat skilled wingers but realistically they are tight against the cap and Holland doesn’t want to dump big ticket assets for rentals this season.

It’s for these reasons I could see Ennis outperforming the cost to acquire him.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Ennis is a better player than Sheary who has also been linked with Edmonton, maybe less than speculatively.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Definitely not a long term solution but I think he could be a guy that could catch lightning in a bottle for 20-30 games. Local guy, grew up an oilers fan, who hasn’t had much playoff success and coming from an on playoff team to one in the thick of the fight. I think he would be excited to come in and make an impact for his hometown team.

Hes shown the ability to compliment skilled players in the past and as you mentioned the Oilers are starved for even somewhat skilled wingers but realistically they are tight against the cap and Holland doesn’t want to dump big ticket assets for rentals this season.

It’s for these reasons I could see Ennis outperforming the cost to acquire him.

Assuming he only costs a late pick, it is a pretty low risk move for the Oilers. I can see how he might exceed expectations there. That said, it just seems like another band-aid solution. The Oilers being so tight to the cap at the moment kind of requires that I suppose.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Assuming he only costs a late pick, it is a pretty low risk move for the Oilers. I can see how he might exceed expectations there. That said, it just seems like another band-aid solution. The Oilers being so tight to the cap at the moment kind of requires that I suppose.

Yeah injuries are really killing us. We should of had about 3-3.5M in deadline space Which is workable because then you can look at rentals in the 5M + range with retention or sending expiring contract back. But with all the injuries we are carrying 27 guys on our roster which has eaten up all that space they could of had.

Also Smith is going to get about a million in bonus money that I’m sure they’d rather not tack on to next years cap. So a move for a rental with a sizeable cap hit seems very unlikely.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Man, when Tyler Ennis is your trade deadline acquisition...:help:
I always find it funny when people overrate deadline adds. A competitive team shouldn't require impactful players to be added at three quarters of the way through the season. These adds are here to shore up positions that may require a bit of support down the stretch.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I always find it funny when people overrate deadline adds. A competitive team shouldn't require impactful players to be added at three quarters of the way through the season. These adds are here to shore up positions that may require a bit of support down the stretch.

In this case he's right though. The Oilers might be a playoff team this year but it's solely because of two players, and you can't have success in the playoffs because of two players. Now that they have a 1b line that's firing on all cylinders, it would be managerial malpractice not to give McDavid a legitimate top 6 winger to play with... a Hoffman or even a Kapanen could really elevate his game. There are assets they shouldn't give up, but there are also some that could be moved without totally derailing the five year plan. They need to make Edmonton a place that players don't include on their 'Do Not Trade' lists again.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
We're currently missing our entire 1st line and with Neal/Kassian out that leaves McDavid playing with Gagner/Chiasson/Archibald. If Ennis is better than even 1 of those players then it's worth taking a chance on for a low pick.

Given Ennis has almost twice as many goals as Chiasson and more than twice as many as Gagner, I'd expect he'd fill in for some additional, much-needed, goals for us playing on McDavid's wing.

That said, with a move or two in the off-season we could, and SHOULD, be bringing in a much higher-end winger to play with McDavid. The Oilers aren't deep enough, or experienced enough, to be a serious contender this year, so I understanding not wanting to break the bank for a rental. As far as cheap rentals go to help us get into the playoffs and MAYBE win a round, Ennis doesn't seem too bad.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Man, when Tyler Ennis is your trade deadline acquisition...:help:

Kind of like saying “When Michal Kempny is your trade deadline acquisition...” four days before the deadline.

It’s basically the definition of talking out of your ass.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
So, he would be perfect for Edmonton ?

They're 2 players leading the team. Neal has become, or seems to be rather useless, so why not acquire Ennis for a 4th and see how he does ? I'm sure if it works, he would take a job over risking trying to get more money.

The only winger that is clearly ahead of Ennis, is Yamamoto. Unless Edmonton puts Drai, or Nuge on the wing, but that still leaves 2 spots open for him.

He is on the IR. Hard to score from there.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
In this case he's right though. The Oilers might be a playoff team this year but it's solely because of two players, and you can't have success in the playoffs because of two players. Now that they have a 1b line that's firing on all cylinders, it would be managerial malpractice not to give McDavid a legitimate top 6 winger to play with... a Hoffman or even a Kapanen could really elevate his game. There are assets they shouldn't give up, but there are also some that could be moved without totally derailing the five year plan. They need to make Edmonton a place that players don't include on their 'Do Not Trade' lists again.

This is false.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If I'm the Sens, I'm asking for a 2021 3rd, or even a 2022 3rd.

As crazy as it sounds, the Sens might have too many picks in the upcoming draft. They have EIGHT picks in the first three rounds, with possibly more coming from other players. Belleville is already so filled to the brim with prospects that they had to move Veronneau because he couldn't get any ice time there to advance his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad