LeBrun: Oilers interested in T Ennis, offering a 4th round pick

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Honestly don't see the point of adding Ennis

The Oilers have internal options that can do a similar job if given the opportunity tbh. Don't be like Chiarelli and trade assets for stop-gaps, Holland.

Reactions: Tony Tony Chopper

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Ennis could easily be had for like a 4th
Ennis for a 4th and an expiring contract of an AHL nobody (keep our contract limit down)

alternatively I'd be willing to do:

Ennis + 2020 SJ 6th rd pick for Edm 2021 3rd rd pick (2020 pick potentially lost in Lucic trade) and Brandon Manning

Manning's contract expires at the end of the season making $2.25M now, although obviously most of that contract is paid at this point, just knocking a little caphit off our books.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Honestly don't see the point of adding Ennis

The Oilers have internal options that can do a similar job if given the opportunity tbh. Don't be like Chiarelli and trade assets for stop-gaps, Holland.

This take seems highly questionable.

The Oilers have four players with the same of more than Ennis’ 33 points.

Edmonton Oilers Stats | 2019-2020

I understand that Ennis is getting opportunities he may not get elsewhere, like 2+ mins PPTOi/game, but don’t you think that the oilers would play the internal options that would be tied for fourth on their team in scoring if they had them?

He’s mostly 2nd unit PP in Ottawa, he can be useful in that role elsewhere.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I suppose it makes sense considering our cap issues, and also Holland seems very gun-shy about spending assets this year.

My worry is that if Ennis is an upgrade, it seems like a half step improvement over what we have already. Sure, I'd welcome Ennis and see what he could do, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Benson or Nygard or Archibald outplayed him

Reactions: Roof Daddy

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I could get on board with Ennis. I wouldn’t offer more than a 4th though. If that doesn’t get it done, so be it. I think this draft is stacked and the prices teams have paid already are overpayment, so if that trend continues I’d rather not do anything at all.

On a different note, I’m excited for the Sens. They loaded up picks in the right year (and should still land some more).

Homesick

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Oilers are 3-1-1 without McDavid in the line up. Getting him back after this weekend will be the biggest deadline deal across the league( not to mention Klefbom, Russell, Neal and Kassian)
The rookies have shown that they can play if needed so why bring in another forward?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The Oilers are 3-1-1 without McDavid in the line up. Getting him back after this weekend will be the biggest deadline deal across the league( not to mention Klefbom, Russell, Neal and Kassian)
The rookies have shown that they can play if needed so why bring in another forward?

cuz trades are fun.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Why bring in another forward? Because if we are indeed playoff bound, it’s a massive grind where depth is challenged every round. I’d also say Ennis would be an improvement as Connor’s LW over Neal.

If you can buy low, it’s worth it.

Reactions: Homesick

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ennis is totally one of those "fools gold" deadline acquisitions. He's really only good when he's in a more prominent role on a bad team. If your team is bad enough that he'd slot in high enough in your lineup to be effective...you're a bad team and you shouldn't be "buying" at the deadline. If your team is actually good and deep enough to be "buying" at the deadline...you probably don't really have the right place and role in your lineup for a player like Ennis.

But by all means...let the Oilers go ahead and rummage through the bargain bin for a deadline add like Ennis. There's even a tiny chance it could end up working out, because the Oilers really aren't that strong or deep on the wings and McDavey and Draisaitl can probably make a productive player out of just about anyone. But he's really not the type of player i'd be looking to add at the deadline.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
have you seen what Yamamoto is doing or nah

Every game, different players. Ennis is a solid player. Not one I'm looking to for a playoff push is all I'm saying.

Guy like kovalchuk will most likely cost similar amd have 10 x more upside

Just saying.....

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Ennis is totally one of those "fools gold" deadline acquisitions. He's really only good when he's in a more prominent role on a bad team. If your team is bad enough that he'd slot in high enough in your lineup to be effective...you're a bad team and you shouldn't be "buying" at the deadline. If your team is actually good and deep enough to be "buying" at the deadline...you probably don't really have the right place and role in your lineup for a player like Ennis.

But by all means...let the Oilers go ahead and rummage through the bargain bin for a deadline add like Ennis. There's even a tiny chance it could end up working out, because the Oilers really aren't that strong or deep on the wings and McDavey and Draisaitl can probably make a productive player out of just about anyone. But he's really not the type of player i'd be looking to add at the deadline.
Ennis was more than adequate as a 4th liner for the Leafs last year. From watching him play against the Leafs this year it looks like he's taken a step up. He's very skilled and hard working. Not saying he's worth more than a 4th.

Reactions: Ciao

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

So, he would be perfect for Edmonton ?

They're 2 players leading the team. Neal has become, or seems to be rather useless, so why not acquire Ennis for a 4th and see how he does ? I'm sure if it works, he would take a job over risking trying to get more money.

The only winger that is clearly ahead of Ennis, is Yamamoto. Unless Edmonton puts Drai, or Nuge on the wing, but that still leaves 2 spots open for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad