Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Last edited:
Reactions: UnSandvich and Kupo

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Respectfully, how is a left defence of Skjei-Staal-Smith loaded?

Your RIGHT side looks great, and you've got Miller and Robertson coming to shore the left up, but they're a ways away, are they not?
Loaded in the sense that we have plenty of options going forward with that position. It doesn't mean we can't upgrade any of the guys we have because we're "stacked". But if we're upgrading one of our prospects, we may as well be using that prospect for picks. I don't think Smith is going to be that last option unless he has a great camp. I see a rookie most likely taking that spot for a while. So again, we're loaded in the sense that we have a lot of option. If we're going to trade Kreider it shouldn't be to slightly upgrade one of those prospects for a 3rd pairing role.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
NYR shadow roster: Lundqvist, Georgiev; Trouba, Skjei, Staal, Fox, Hajek; Mika, Chytil, Strome; Howden; Panarin, Kreider, Andersson, Namestnikov; Buchnevich, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fast. (Lemieux, DeAngelo unsigned; Smith, Beleskey AHL). Cap $77.815M, space $3.685M

Thank you, that's helpful.

That's... a lot of learning on the fly, but should be entertaining at any rate.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah, **** development! Why even have lesser leagues? :laugh:

It's okay to say your player wasn't very good for most of last year and should probably get more time. I'm an Oiler fan, we're experts at rushing and ruining prospects.
Yes, that's what I said. Bravo! As if we haven't seen d-men look lost in the NHL after having a good AHL track, or a completely reversed scenario. I didn't say **** development.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Loaded in the sense that we have plenty of options going forward with that position. It doesn't mean we can't upgrade any of the guys we have because we're "stacked". But if we're upgrading one of our prospects, we may as well be using that prospect for picks. I don't think Smith is going to be that last option unless he has a great camp. I see a rookie most likely taking that spot for a while. So again, we're loaded in the sense that we have a lot of option. If we're going to trade Kreider it shouldn't be to slightly upgrade one of those prospects for a 3rd pairing role.

Another helpful take, thank you.

Personally, I don't really see a fit to EDM as I stated at the outset. We won't be trading our first rounder (Holland never does) and the rest of our assets are either too much or not enough.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Colorado is the logical place for Kreider.

Not really unless he's willing to sign for 2-3 years (which I highy doubt).

Colorado will have their hands full trying to keep everyone they already have when it's time to re-sign them, especially now with RFA's earning UFA's money.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Well this thread went south in a hurry. :laugh:

Don't think Kreider makes a lot of sense for Edmonton, he's either unsigned in which case it's too big a gamble or he is signed in which case the price is prohibitive.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Trading a 1st+ for a rental is pretty much the exact opposite of what Holland has been saying since he's been hired.

Consider me extremely doubtful.
Exactly

Plus there's no way we should be trading a likely top 10 pick at all unless it's for a franchise changing piece. Also I don't want Kreider since I think he's gonna end up getting a UFA contract that results in an albatross. Stay away.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes, that's what I said. Bravo! As if we haven't seen d-men look lost in the NHL after having a good AHL track, or a completely reversed scenario. I didn't say **** development.

I'm just saying, as a fan of a team that has written a dissertation on what not to do with prospects, shoving a young defenceman into the NHL after he had a world of trouble at the AHL level isn't usually a recipe for success. You can't say the AHL means nothing when 80%-90% of NHLers come up through the AHL.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Another helpful take, thank you.

Personally, I don't really see a fit to EDM as I stated at the outset. We won't be trading our first rounder (Holland never does) and the rest of our assets are either too much or not enough.

As a rebuilding team that has a foundation of Vets, I don't mind seeing this much fresh blood on the roster.

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Completely mischaracterized Eklund's title and post.. and then threw in your own two cents which many will conflate as Eklund's.

The article says the Oilers made an offer. It doesn't say anything about Kreider to Edmonton. Nor does it say there has been little dialogue, nor does it say he will be traded instead of re-signed, nor does it say the Rangers are expecting at least a 1st.

I was giving my own take. The “post” says an offer. It has been said before little dialogue has been created. Due to little dialogue all summer and Gorton saying at the beginning of the summer he will be signed or traded before the season starts is why I am putting one and one together. I not it I am saying he should receive at least a 1st

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
the Oilers could really use a player like him but its very risky for Edmonton to trade for a guy who is going to be a UFA.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Capfriendly has you guys with a shade over 1 mil with DeAngelo and Lemieux still to sign, is that accurate?

The Rangers are fine cap wise after buying out Shattenkirk. Capfriendly has Nieves and McKegg on the Rangers cap. 14 forwards. Lemieux would make 15. They don't even have Kravtsov as part of the Rangers cap. Deangelo and Lemieux have no leverage. They will play for their qualifying offers or they can sit at home. The Rangers aren't keeping 14 forwards.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Trading a 1st+ for a rental is pretty much the exact opposite of what Holland has been saying since he's been hired.

Consider me extremely doubtful.
You would be getting him for a full season, that's not the true definition of a rental which goes to players acquired at the trade deadline.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think The NYR will want him re-signed. If he's just Hell bent on getting paid then get max assets for him at the deadline.

If the oil want a 1 year rental/pay the assets, then they better damn well be a playoff team.

This Eklund Rumour seems on par with everything else he's ever posted.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's a longer rental than average, sure, but Edmonton would still be crazy to give up their first for 80 games of Kreider.
They would have an entire year to re-sign him. The speed between Kreider and McDavid would be deadly.

And if he doesnt want to re-sign by the deadline they can just trade him away for another 1st.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I still think around Puljujärvi makes sense here. NY will get a cheaper player with upside and team control. He is Finnish like Kakko. Edm gets rid of a player who doesn't want to be there and upgrades their top 6. Cap wise it should likely fit for both teams as Puljujärvi just can't command a big deal yet. It's maybe not 1 for 1 but as an outsider it makes sense to me.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They would have an entire year to re-sign him. The speed between Kreider and McDavid would be deadly.

And if he doesnt want to re-sign by the deadline they can just trade him away for another 1st.

Edmonton already has the best possible player combination with Draisaitl there. Kreider woulnd't be guaranteed on that line - far more likely he forms a duo with RNH to spread the threats around.

That's... not how any of this works. Rentals very rarely return firsts anymore, and definitely not from non playoff teams like we're likely to be. Again, the Oilers would be absolutely crazy to deal their first for him. I could MAYBE see a protected 2020 turning into an unprotected 2021.

Reactions: 780il

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
It's funny looking back at these threads after. Usually the team with the players gets A LOT less than they expected.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Edmonton already has the best possible player combination with Draisaitl there. Kreider woulnd't be guaranteed on that line - far more likely he forms a duo with RNH to spread the threats around.

That's... not how any of this works. Rentals very rarely return firsts anymore, and definitely not from non playoff teams like we're likely to be. Again, the Oilers would be absolutely crazy to deal their first for him. I could MAYBE see a protected 2020 turning into an unprotected 2021.
Hayes returned a 1st and decent prospect at the deadline, you’re telling me Kreider wouldnt?

Reactions: charliemurphy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hayes returned a 1st and decent prospect at the deadline, you’re telling me Kreider wouldnt?

And do you think Winnipeg was happy with the results of that trade?

"Another team made a huge mistake, you should too!" isn't a great argument.

Plus there's a gulf of difference between a potential top ten pick and something in the twenties.

Reactions: Showcor3

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Kreider to EDM isn't a good fit unless it's at the deadline and EDM is in a position to do damage in the playoffs. There's nothing that makes me think Kreider would want to re-sign in a city like Edmonton (not even McDavid, sorry), so he's likely a true rental either way. If their season gets off to a bad start and they miss the playoffs, and he leaves in the offseason - it's a disaster.

I'd think that if he's moved before the season starts, it's to a contender like Colorado. If we keep Kreider for this year, maybe we revisit talks with Edmonton at the deadline depending on where they are in the standings.

Reactions: mouz135 and Erep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad