Proposal: Oilers/Ho-Sang

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The debate about the Oilers potentially picking up JHS is interesting - I think Ho-Sang is the best player on the ice of anyone being debated, but it's always been clear that his attitude issue is going to outweigh any skill advantage he might have. Ho-Sang would be the biggest upgrade on Nygard and be an ideal complement for Draisaitl and Kassian, but I can understand the Oilers not wanting to bring him into the room. They need to build a team concept, it's fragile enough as is.

JHS - 23 y.o. 6' RW
- 37 point pace over 82 games (over his career).
- That's 1 point behind 5th on Edmonton last year.
- Over his first 2 years, he was on a 42 point pace, which would put him 4th last year on the Oilers.

Sprong - 22 y.o, 6' RW
- 25 pt per 82 (career so far), which would have been 8th on the Oilers last year.
- If you think he is the guy form last season, he is a 24 goal and 33 point guy who can really skate.

Both are much more gifted offensively than Kassian, and being able to move Kassian to the 3rd line would help improve the bottom 6.
Personally with the scoring touch of Drai, id like JHS if you are willing to give him a chance to win the spot. If you want someone on RNH wing than Spring is probably the better fit.

Either way, there is no reason a team like Edmonton with its lack of wingers wouldnt be improving by adding either of these guys.
I think most teams would be smart to take a shot at these guys if they are below 50 contracts and it fits in the cap.

This kind of comparison is super rough. These guys have rarely played regular minutes in the NHL so it's not a good way to evaluate them. I'd use rate stats actually, to control for the super high variability in their minutes and situations. Ho-Sang had a very impressive 2017-18, with a scoring rate that would have been 3rd on last year's Oilers, but wasn't able to repeat that in a very short call-up last year. Sprong never got much of a chance in Pittsburgh, with very limited minutes. Last year he showed he can score but nothing special overall.

Better than that limited minutes approach, we should rely on views, and from what I've seen, Ho-Sang is the more special player and more capable of elevating his linemates. Sprong's open-ice speed and shot are better but those qualities are not in short supply, even in Edmonton, and the rest of Sprong's game is subpar. If you're going to take one as a 4th liner, Sprong is capable of finishing on his own and that might be more valuable there, but if it's as a Nygard replacement then there's no question in my mind that Ho-Sang is the better player for the job. He has the puck skills to keep plays alive and create higher quality scoring chances.

what would a 26 goal scorer in over 150 games in the ahl contribute to a nhl team besides not much of anything.

Are you one of those people that thought Burrows was better than Henrik Sedin? Apologies if not, I'm just trying to find the reasoning in your argument.

Kassian showed very well on the top line last year while he was there. Neither Sprong or Ho Sang have shown more offensive talents at the NHL level. Kassian's issue is with consistency, not his hands or his skating.

Will he stick with the top line? I don't know. Well he stay motivated for 82 games? I don't know that either. Would Sprong or Ho Sang be better than him in the top 6? Doubtful.

I'd like to see Ho-Sang - Draisaitl - Kassian.

I'm not really sure what Nygard is supposed to be offering on the Nygard - Draisaitl - Kassian unit. It would be ideal to have a better playmaker next to Draisaitl and Kassian.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Oilers have tried past cast offs like Aberg and Zykov. All failed.

Tippett seems to like forwards who play a two-way game as he's trying to lower GA. Gagner was sent down and he basically outpoints JHS consistently.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
For Edmonton I don’t think it’s a lack of interest in a few of the players that were available it’s the roster contract limit and wanting to exchange cap.

I think we might see a Sprong, Sven or Ho-sang in the near future with a contract and pick going the other way, especially since they can be demoted to the AHL now too. Gives the big club more options and flexibility

Reactions: Ciao

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Draisaitl scored 50 last year, McDavid scored 41. I'd be happy with someone who can get them the puck and let them shoot it more often.

The Oilers have zero reason not to pick up Ho-Sang and Sprong. Zero.

They need someone who can play a skilled game with RNH if they're to get any depth scoring

Ass-McDavid-Ass
Ass-Drasaitl-Ass
Ass-RNH-Ass

Is a recipe to end up in the bottom 5 of the league

Ho-Sang is no world beater but he'd be the 4th forward on the team with the skill to create plays

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
That's fine - Calgary isn't looking to feast on waiver-wire wingers in order to have a shot at a playoff spot. The Oilers need more help on the wing than a penguin when Draisaitl isn't on the top line.

Why are you bringing up Calgary in an Edmonton thread? I think you need :help:.

Lol buddy you tried to flame the oilers for having no cap space to make moves when they do. Especially for a player as insignificant as Ho Sang. No need to get all butt hurt and defensive when it gets dished back at you.

Aug 3, 2010
Lol buddy you tried to flame the oilers for having no cap space to make moves when they do. Especially for a player as insignificant as Ho Sang. No need to get all butt hurt and defensive when it gets dished back at you.
I didn't see the Oilers make any moves when clearly the general consensus amongst most hockey followers is that they really, really should. And we're not just talking Ho-Sang, or Sprong, or waiver-wire assets, or wingers. We're talking the Oilers, as a whole, outside of maybe three players.

And now I have two Oilers fans telling me they could make those changes, so…

I wonder why they didn't… don't you? I would think that, if you could do something to improve, you would. That's just a general life philosophy. How strange.

I see you don't post much, you should probably keep it that way if all you're going to do is revive old messages that have nothing to do with you.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
:banghead::banghead:
You have got to be kidding me
they are still putting Kassian in a top 6 role. How is this even possible.

That’s what happens when you turn Eberle and Hall into Sam Gagner and Adam Larsson.

Add in without the Hall trade we don’t sign Lucic so we wouldn’t by default have Neal’s contract and we likely draft Sergechev instead of Puljujarvi.

I’m not even going to mention trading the pick at the draft that ended up being a no brainer selection Matthew Barzal for Griffin Reinhart.

RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hall - Barzal - Eberle

That top six was entirely possible by not making any moves and drafting the BPA with the 16th pick.

Chiarelli needs to be strapped to a missile and fired into the Sun.

Last edited:

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
That’s what happens when you turn Eberle and Hall into Sam Gagner and Adam Larsson.

Add in without the Hall trade we don’t sign Lucic so we wouldn’t by default have Neal’s contract and we likely draft Sergechev instead of Puljujarvi.

I’m not even going to mention trading the pick at the draft that ended up being a no brainer selection Matthew Barzal for Griffin Reinhart.

RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hall - Barzal - Eberle

That top six was entirely possible by not making any moves and drafting the BPA with the 16th pick.

Chiarelli needs to be strapped to a missile and fired into the Sun.

I doubt they take Barzal with those forwards, probably Chabot tbh. Also don't even forget the 2nd rounder that was in the Reinhart deal. More like:

Keller/Tkatchuk - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hall - RNH - Eberle

Chabot - Carlo
Nurse -

Damn what could have been lmao.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Meh, we have homegrown wingers in the AHL that far outproduce this guy. He's nothing special. Been living off the hype for years and years.
There was a time when Islanders fans were crazy about telling the rest of us how they stole him in the draft. What gives?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
There was a time when Islanders fans were crazy about telling the rest of us how they stole him in the draft. What gives?
Ho Sang, while talented, hasn't shown enough at the AHL or NHL level to warrant a steady spot in the Islanders line up. His attitude, which can kindly be called unique, doesn't endear himself to anybody.

I think the Islanders had enough of his mouth and hadn't seen enough on the ice.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I really have no justification or evidence to comment this..... that being said here is my theory:

Skilled player, lot of potential, especially out of junior. Hasn't developed much since... probably the fault of his own rather than the organization.

Again purely speculation here.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Based on his talent, he was a steal where he was drafted. Unfortunately, he just never grew up and looks like he's going to wind up wasting that talent. It happens.

Reactions: PWJunior

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I didn't see the Oilers make any moves when clearly the general consensus amongst most hockey followers is that they really, really should. And we're not just talking Ho-Sang, or Sprong, or waiver-wire assets, or wingers. We're talking the Oilers, as a whole, outside of maybe three players.

And now I have two Oilers fans telling me they could make those changes, so…

I wonder why they didn't… don't you? I would think that, if you could do something to improve, you would. That's just a general life philosophy. How strange.

I see you don't post much, you should probably keep it that way if all you're going to do is revive old messages that have nothing to do with you.

The oilers have more cap space than the flames. That's all anybody said and you've gone on a crazy tangent, maybe you're the one that needs to take a step back from posting. :laugh:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The only Islander that can help the Oilers is Barry Trotz and that's not happening.

Ho-Sang is a microcosm of the Edmonton Oilers.

Reactions: 1989 and PWJunior

Aug 3, 2010
The oilers have more cap space than the flames. That's all anybody said and you've gone on a crazy tangent, maybe you're the one that needs to take a step back from posting. :laugh:
And again, this thread has nothing to do with the Flames as the Flames have NHL-quality depth. So why bring it up?

See the reply to the following:

They have more cap room than the Flames, so yes, they can make moves like this one if they want.

The Oilers' hivemind is strong. Tell us more about that winger defence goaltending team depth that we can expect Edmonton to improve on with all that cap space.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
And again, this thread has nothing to do with the Flames as the Flames have NHL-quality depth. So why bring it up?

See the reply to the following:

The Oilers' hivemind is strong. Tell us more about that winger defence goaltending team depth that we can expect Edmonton to improve on with all that cap space.

Just stop digging yourself a hole dude. Your trying to start arguments and nobody is even trying to argue with you. Nobody I'm this thread claimed the oilers are in good shape or better than Calgary they just corrected you when you made an incorrect statement that made yourself look silly.

Aug 3, 2010
Just stop digging yourself a hole dude. Your trying to start arguments and nobody is even trying to argue with you. Nobody I'm this thread claimed the oilers are in good shape or better than Calgary they just corrected you when you made an incorrect statement that made yourself look silly.
I can see why you don't post much, because I can see you don't read much, either.
I asked a question:
Do the Oilers even have cap space to make any moves? :laugh:
And was replied with by something completely irrelevant including a completely useless comparison to the Flames' cap situation.
The only "answer" I've received is that the Oilers have "some cap room" but not enough to improve their team with, apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad