Proposal: Oilers/Ho-Sang

Aug 3, 2010
They have more cap room than the Flames, so yes, they can make moves like this one if they want.
That's fine - Calgary isn't looking to feast on waiver-wire wingers in order to have a shot at a playoff spot. The Oilers need more help on the wing than a penguin when Draisaitl isn't on the top line.

Why are you bringing up Calgary in an Edmonton thread? I think you need :help:.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's fine - Calgary isn't looking to feast on waiver-wire wingers in order to have a shot at a playoff spot. The Oilers need more help on the wing than a penguin when Draisaitl isn't on the top line.

Why are you bringing up Calgary in an Edmonton thread? I think you need :help:.

Why don't you take 5 seconds to look at Capfriendly and inform yourself before posting. They have cap room to use if they want to especially with Brodziak on LTIR.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Pick him up and put him on Connor's wing. See if the old friends can create some chemistry. Ho-Sang can definitely keep up with McDavid, and he'd feed him constantly with passes. It's not like the Oil's right side is stacked.

Fast dumb players do not work with McDavid.

JHS' AHL stats are terrible. I doubt he even puts up 40pts next to McDavid full-time whereas Draisaitl scores 50G.

Aug 3, 2010
Depends on the move.

If they pick up a guy like Sprong, who makes $750k.... he's going to need to bump someone off the roster, and nearly every forward on the roster makes more than him... so they'd actually be reducing their cap hit.
Fair enough. I would think between players like Ho-Sang, Sprong or Baertschi they would go with as much proven talent as possible. But again, cap space is probably at a premium.

Why don't you take 5 seconds to look at Capfriendly and inform yourself before posting. They have cap room to use if they want to especially with Brodziak on LTIR.
Because I'm not the Omniscient Caphit God I shouldn't post about anything related to teams with tight caphits? :huh: Why do you even come to HFBoards if you're so easily irritated by the general lack of information that is opined?

Oilers are not in a great position, they could use the services of Ho-Sang or Sprong. But everyone knows that, as irratically as the Oilers have been performing, they are also typically up against the cap ceiling.

So touchy, Edmonton fan. In the immortal words of Bryzgalov - "It's only game... why you heff to be mad?"

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fair enough. I would think between players like Ho-Sang, Sprong or Baertschi they would go with as much proven talent as possible.

Because I'm not the Omniscient Caphit God I shouldn't post about anything related to teams with tight caphits? :huh: Why do you even come to HFBoards if you're so easily irritated by the general lack of information that is opined?

Oilers are not in a great position, they could use the services of Ho-Sang or Sprong. But everyone knows that, as irratically as the Oilers have been performing, they are also typically up against the cap ceiling.

So touchy, Edmonton fan. In the immortal words of Bryzgalov - "It's only game... why you heff to be mad?"

Because they're not tight up against the cap, they are middle of the pack right now for available cap room. Again something that takes 5 seconds at Capfriendly to look at.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Oilers could pick up every waiver wire player and they'd all be upgrades over the current wingers lol, no hate to the Oilers at all, even as a non fan I feel your guys pain of what could have been.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The bigger issue for Edmonton with waiver guys isn't cap space, its contract space. They have 48 contracts already, and that's not including Puljujarvi. You'd ideally want to swap contracts instead of claim somebody.

Aug 3, 2010
Because they're not tight up against the cap, they are middle of the pack right now for available cap room. Again something that takes 5 seconds at Capfriendly to look at.
That general statement means nothing. If 15 teams have $3 available in cap room, and 15 teams have $1, then the Oilers being middle of the pack still only have $2 to sign nobody.

I don't know, guy. You're a HFBoards veteran, but you wanted to start up this "Hey mind your own business Calgary" stuff, you agitate instead of educate. You know just as well as I do that it's not an opposing fan's interest or obligation to be invested in the minute goings-on of your specific team.

The bigger issue for Edmonton with waiver guys isn't cap space, its contract space. They have 48 contracts already, and that's not including Puljujarvi. You'd ideally want to swap contracts instead of claim somebody.

Now that's interesting, but I would think most teams are similarly hovering around 46-50 contracts as it is.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That general statement means nothing. If 15 teams have $3 available in cap room, and 15 teams have $1, then the Oilers being middle of the pack still only have $2 to sign nobody.

I don't know, guy. You're a HFBoards veteran, but you wanted to start up this "Hey mind your own business Calgary" stuff, you agitate instead of educate. You know just as well as I do that it's not an opposing fan's interest or obligation to be invested in the minute goings-on of your specific team.

Why the heck are you even in this thread then?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hard pass on Ho-Sang. Guy isn’t a scorer even at the AHL level.

Gimme Sprong though.

Yeah that's the other red flag I have on Ho-Sang ... only 8 goals/season in the AHL ... really is that gonna translate to NHL production at all?

Jurco had 6 goals in his last 29 NHL games .... which prorates to about 17 NHL goals.

Why should Ho-Sang get a shot over him exactly?

Aug 3, 2010
Why the heck are you even in this thread then?
It was posted in the main boards in a discussion forum and I asked a question to be discussed which has yet to be answered but friendly fans like you keep on engaging without answering.

lead_720_405.png

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
D9EF2E63-E445-42DE-81ED-B78E2D03F6D3.png

Sample size is obviously small but he has been great at both ends of the ice so far in his career. Better than any winger the Oilers have at least.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

It might not be that bad. One or more of the Euro forwards have out-clauses by Dec. Broberg is playing overseas so he'll slide. Mantha is LTIR in the AHL with that eye-clot that caused blindness in one eye so his career is almost done. NHL/NHLPA could allow that contract to not count (always exceptions granted).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah that's the other red flag I have on Ho-Sang ... only 8 goals/season in the AHL ... really is that gonna translate to NHL production at all?

Jurco had 6 goals in his last 29 NHL games .... which prorates to about 17 NHL goals.

Why should Ho-Sang get a shot over him exactly?

Exactly, and Jurco has been really good for us in the preseason - flashed a bunch of talent and had 5 points in 5 games I believe. He’s earned a shot.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
2 different front offices have given this guy multiple chances to get his act together, and this is over the course of 5 years, and it just ain't happening. He's obviously not interested in playing within any kind of 'system', just his own system. Good luck to whoever picks him up.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It might not be that bad. One or more of the Euro forwards have out-clauses by Dec. Broberg is playing overseas so he'll slide. Mantha is LTIR in the AHL with that eye-clot that caused blindness in one eye so his career is almost done. NHL/NHLPA could allow that contract to not count (always exceptions granted).

I'm not saying its bad. But its the consideration every team has this time of year.

BTW:

-Broberg and Rodrigue already don't count to that contract limit (or they'd be at 50).
-The European players need to use those out-clauses, and they probably don't right now.
-I'm pretty sure LTIR guys count against the contract limit, just not against the cap.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'm not saying its bad. But its the consideration every team has this time of year.

BTW:

-Broberg and Rodrigue already don't count to that contract limit (or they'd be at 50).
-The European players need to use those out-clauses, and they probably don't right now.
-I'm pretty sure LTIR guys count against the contract limit, just not against the cap.

Nygard and Haas I think have out-clause by Dec if they don't make the team and are stuck in the AHL.

LTIR guys do count, I know - Brodziak and Mantha are the two but Mantha is an AHLer who suffered a career-ending random stroke in his eye. Brodziak is basically retired too. I wish the NHL would just allow for mutual payment and contract completion for career-ending injuries.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's a fair shot Jurco is a better player than Ho-Sang, he has better AHL numbers and in his last NHL stint actually scored some goals. He just has had bad luck with injuries.

Sprong I would be interested in though if I were the Oilers.

Baertschi is an automatic no-go because of his 3.3 mill cap hit next year, no way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad