Proposal: Oilers/Ho-Sang

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You mean the guy who is a playmaker and never been a goal scorer doesn't have a ton of goals?
_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg
:facepalm: 84 assists over that 156 games in THE AHL, is equally unimpressive. For an offensive guy, 110pts over 156 games in the AHL isn't anything to wring home about.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:facepalm: 84 assists over that 156 games in THE AHL, is equally unimpressive. For an offensive guy, 110pts over 156 games in the AHL isn't anything to wring home about.
My point is focusing on goals for a playmaker is about as uninformative as it gets and you might want to crap all over his production, but he still has 24 points in 53 NHL games, last year the Oilers only had 4 forwards reach 30 points.

Reactions: Chabot84

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
My point is focusing on goals for a playmaker is about as uninformative as it gets and you might want to crap all over his production, but he still has 24 points in 53 NHL games, last year the Oilers only had 4 forwards reach 30 points.

If he's not going to score goals, he should be setting them up or have a really strong defensive game. I like Ho-Sang, but we just don't have room unless someone stupidly takes Manning's/Gagner's contract.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If he's not going to score goals, he should be setting them up or have a really strong defensive game. I like Ho-Sang, but we just don't have room unless someone stupidly takes Manning's/Gagner's contract.
Sending Manning down frees up an additional 1m+, which gives 2.5m to work with without even factoring LTIR. Ho-Sang and Sprong are guys they should definitely take a chance on, worst case they don't work out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gagner down also frees up probably another chunk of salary. They have money to work with if they really want to.

H0-Sang simply likely isn't any better than players like Jurco (better AHL numbers when you consider goal scoring) or Nygard (was sought after by several NHL teams).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gagner down also frees up probably another chunk of salary. They have money to work with if they really want to.

H0-Sang simply likely isn't any better than players like Jurco (better AHL numbers when you consider goal scoring) or Nygard (was sought after by several NHL teams).
What does taking a chance hurt? Worst case you aren't happy and throw him back on waivers. This is a great opportunity to add a young skilled player at literally no cost.

As for Jurco, the guy has 200+ NHL games and 50 career points, he is what he is. Maybe McDavid will turn him into a 30 point player, but for the most part he's an established vet.

I can't fathom how someone is against this. There is literally 0 risk.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What does taking a chance hurt? Worst case you aren't happy and throw him back on waivers. This is a great opportunity to add a young skilled player at literally no cost.

As for Jurco, the guy has 200+ NHL games and 50 career points, he is what he is. Maybe McDavid will turn him into a 30 point player, but for the most part he's an established vet.

I can't fathom how someone is against this. There is literally 0 risk.

I would take the chance on Sprong, not Ho-Sang.

Ho-Sang can't even crack 10 goals in the AHL, odds are he won't in the NHL. Jurco is a better player than Ho-Sang. We don't need another pass first player, McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH need players who will shoot the damn biscuit, not pass it back.

Sprong though ... guy has a legit high end release ... I would have time for him if I were the Oilers.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would take the chance on Sprong, not Ho-Sang.

Ho-Sang can't even crack 10 goals in the AHL, odds are he won't in the NHL. Jurco is a better player than Ho-Sang. We don't need another pass first player, McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH need players who will shoot the damn biscuit, not pass it back.

Sprong though ... guy has a legit high end release ... I would have time for him if I were the Oilers.
Why do you insist on looking at goals for a playmaker? It's like looking at McDavid and judging him based on hits.

And maybe Jurco is a better player, but Jurco only has a little more than double the career production in almost 4x the games played.

Reactions: viceroy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why do you insist on looking at goals for a playmaker? It's like looking at McDavid and judging him based on hits.

And maybe Jurco is a better player, but Jurco only has a little more than double the career production in almost 4x the games played.

The Oilers don't need another playmaker, what's he going to do ... return passes to McDavid?

You need a shooter to play with him or RNH, Sprong is far more ideal for the Oilers than 8-goals-in-the-AHL Ho-Sang.

Another guy who likes to carry the puck isn't gonna work. If you're on McDavid or Draisaitl or RNH's line your job is to go to the net and cash when the puck gets to you, you're not gonna be carrying the puck instead of McDavid or something.

I just don't see where his play style fits other than "well he's fast" ... but they've already improved team speed with Jurco and Nygard and Archibald.

Reactions: ivanlwan

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I agree. They should claim him, he has more offensive talent than most of their forward group.

Which isn’t saying much. Outside McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH there’s some serious question marks, what does adding another with well known issues do them? If anything they need 1 more proven top 6 player to matchup with RNH. Ho Sang isn’t the answer

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

Now I’m interested :thumbu:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which isn’t saying much. Outside McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH there’s some serious question marks, what does adding another with well known issues do them? If anything they need 1 more proven top 6 player to matchup with RNH. Ho Sang isn’t the answer
But he has a chance to break out. Unlike guys like Neal, Chiasson, Jurco, Kassian... etc, Ho-Sang hasn't been given a fair opportunity in the NHL and for a guy who hasn't played alot his production is actually not that bad in the NHL. It's literally zero risk to claim him and give him an opportunity. If they're unhappy in a couple weeks when Sheahan returns, toss him back on waivers.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
But he has a chance to break out. Unlike guys like Neal, Chiasson, Jurco, Kassian... etc, Ho-Sang hasn't been given a fair opportunity in the NHL and for a guy who hasn't played alot his production is actually not that bad in the NHL. It's literally zero risk to claim him and give him an opportunity. If they're unhappy in a couple weeks when Sheahan returns, toss him back on waivers.

Why not just go after a player like Sprong who is more like a better fit? Everyone seems on board with giving Sprong a shot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm with you on Sprong but I wouldn't waste the roster spot on Ho-Sang.
The Oilers have by far the worst set of wingers in the NHL, they should absolutely be taking a chance on 22 & 23 year old kids with potential. Not only that but you have roster space the injuries to Brodziak and Sheahan, you also have the roster flexibility to not use Summer LTIR with Persson & Nygard being waiver exempt, then there is also Gagner who will clear waivers. The Oilers are in a perfect position to gamble on a guy like Ho-Sang and there is no reason not to because let's be honest, those wingers, can't get much worse.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The Oilers have by far the worst set of wingers in the NHL, they should absolutely be taking a chance on 22 & 23 year old kids with potential. Not only that but you have roster space the injuries to Brodziak and Sheahan, you also have the roster flexibility to not use Summer LTIR with Persson & Nygard being waiver exempt, then there is also Gagner who will clear waivers. The Oilers are in a perfect position to gamble on a guy like Ho-Sang and there is no reason not to because let's be honest, those wingers, can't get much worse.

I just believe we don't have the leadership in the room to be rolling the dice on players with character issues. I just don't see the upside. There's going to be other players available in trade or waivers that we should value higher. We have 2 contract spots available and unless it's a trade of an asset we don't want for him I'd rather we not roll the dice on him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just believe we don't have the leadership in the room to be rolling the dice on players with character issues. I just don't see the upside. There's going to be other players available in trade or waivers that we should value higher. We have 2 contract spots available and unless it's a trade of an asset we don't want for him I'd rather we not roll the dice on him.
I'd argue familiarity and a friend in McDavid is a plus. But. like I said, worst case you toss him on waivers in a couple of weeks if it's not working.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good luck with that, Bet either Sprong or JHS are claimed before they make it to Edmonton.

Tyler Benson has way better AHL numbers than Josh Ho-Sang and he didn't make the cut for the Oilers, I doubt the Oilers would have interest in him.

Daniel Sprong, yeah that will be more interesting to see, almost definitely I think someone claims him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad