Proposal: Oilers/Ho-Sang

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I would take the chance on Sprong, not Ho-Sang.

Ho-Sang can't even crack 10 goals in the AHL, odds are he won't in the NHL. Jurco is a better player than Ho-Sang. We don't need another pass first player, McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH need players who will shoot the damn biscuit, not pass it back.

Sprong though ... guy has a legit high end release ... I would have time for him if I were the Oilers.

Draisaitl scored 50 last year, McDavid scored 41. I'd be happy with someone who can get them the puck and let them shoot it more often.

The Oilers have zero reason not to pick up Ho-Sang and Sprong. Zero. Their forward depth is reminiscent of the 90s' expansion teams, outside the big 3. The kids on the farm are not anything special and everyone is sick of waiting. What are they waiting for , cap space? Then what? A cavalcade of free agents are going to come running and save the day? The scouts will have magically discovered how to draft players and have them ready by then? Throwing darts at a dartboard full of potential is literally the only move they have. Because staying the course, when this is where it got them, is just pathetic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl scored 50 last year, McDavid scored 41. I'd be happy with someone who can get them the puck and let them shoot it more often.

The Oilers have zero reason not to pick up Ho-Sang and Sprong. Zero. Their forward depth is reminiscent of the 90s' expansion teams, outside the big 3. The kids on the farm are not anything special and everyone is sick of waiting. What are they waiting for , cap space? Then what? A cavalcade of free agents are going to come running and save the day? The scouts will have magically discovered how to draft players and have them ready by then? Throwing darts at a dartboard full of potential is literally the only move they have. Because staying the course, when this is where it got them, is just pathetic.

Sprong maybe, but Ho-Sang what the f*** has he done? Jurco is likely the better player and has fancy pants dangles too.

Tyler Benson outperformed Ho-Sang in the AHL last season too and he didn't make the cut for the Oilers either.

I got time for Sprong, but Ho-Sang, no thanks.

I don't think Ho-Sang is better than Jurco, Benson, or Nygard. Benson didn't make the team, Nygard was sought after by several good NHL teams, not just the Oilers, Jurco has better AHL numbers and in his last NHL stint scored a 17 goal rate, which isn't bad at all.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Tyler Benson has way better AHL numbers than Josh Ho-Sang and he didn't make the cut for the Oilers, I doubt the Oilers would have interest in him.

Daniel Sprong, yeah that will be more interesting to see, almost definitely I think someone claims him.

14 goals in 47 games with Anaheim pro rates to 24 goals in 82 games. So why is this guy having a hard time finding a home on a team?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
14 goals in 47 games with Anaheim pro rates to 24 goals in 82 games. So why is this guy having a hard time finding a home on a team?

Probably attitude issues. But I'd take that risk. If he is untenable here, you cut him, at 750k it's a non issue.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Probably attitude issues. But I'd take that risk. If he is untenable here, you cut him, at 750k it's a non issue.

His numbers look good if you just isolate his time with Anaheim last year. Like I say 24 goal pace.. it’s odd that he’s on waivers no?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His numbers look good if you just isolate his time with Anaheim last year. Like I say 24 goal pace.. it’s odd that he’s on waivers no?

I mean I don't know why Anaheim cut him, by stats, he is a decent NHL player last year. You'd have to ask them. It's not like the Oilers have first dibs either, other teams can claim him.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I mean I don't know why Anaheim cut him, by stats, he is a decent NHL player last year. You'd have to ask them. It's not like the Oilers have first dibs either, other teams can claim him.

Curious to see how this plays out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ho-Sang's production in the AHL isn't great but pure playmakers like that don't typically shine at that level. The only reason you wouldn't pick him up is his obnoxious attitude.

I'll disagree with this notion that the Oilers don't need playmaking help. The Oilers don't have enough playmaking talent. Last year they weren't getting great shots off because they weren't breaking down the defence. Ideally you would have a couple guys on a line who can pass and make plays, not just one star playmaker flanked by a couple meat and potatoes shooters. I think Ho-Sang might be the ideal complement to Draisaitl. They need to be able to get Draisaitl and McDavid producing without each other, I don't see that working with Nygard-Draisaitl-Kassian, and Sprong wouldn't make a difference.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Hard to say they shouldn't go for Sprong or JHS tbh

maxresdefault.jpg

is that the actual expected lineup ? thats garbage and also pretty much guarantees nuge leaves if we stick him on the third line when there is so much garbage in the top six.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Why not.

Get both Sprong and Ho Sang off waivers, play them a few games. If they don't fit, waive them again. If you are concerned about roster limits, release a low level prospect or two from their contracts.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Never get a fair shake? The Islanders have seen him up close for 3 years, yet the offensively starved team led by hall of fame coach and GM is willing to give him away. That should tell you all you need to know.
what would a 26 goal scorer in over 150 games in the ahl contribute to a nhl team besides not much of anything.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
what would a 26 goal scorer in over 150 games in the ahl contribute to a nhl team besides not much of anything.
I don't know. Maybe we should ask his friend - 84 assist, or perhaps his other friend - over 14% shooting percentage. Stop acting like he's been garbage at the AHL level and can't contribute anything. Maybe he's not the right fit for other reasons, but Ho-Sang has enough talent to play in the NHL level. Whether he can play a team game might be another story.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
oilers have 6 new toys in their starting lineup already upfront already

we need to see what we have in them

also

48/50 against the contract cap as of right now

Reactions: BHD

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Why not.

Get both Sprong and Ho Sang off waivers, play them a few games. If they don't fit, waive them again. If you are concerned about roster limits, release a low level prospect or two from their contracts.
Buyout windows has closed. You can't cut/release players. You have to trade them.

Trading away a player with no NHL future is like trying to sell butter cookies to someone watching their lines. Especially if you can't take a player back.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
JHS - 23 y.o. 6' RW
- 37 point pace over 82 games (over his career).
- That's 1 point behind 5th on Edmonton last year.
- Over his first 2 years, he was on a 42 point pace, which would put him 4th last year on the Oilers.

Sprong - 22 y.o, 6' RW
- 25 pt per 82 (career so far), which would have been 8th on the Oilers last year.
- If you think he is the guy form last season, he is a 24 goal and 33 point guy who can really skate.

Both are much more gifted offensively than Kassian, and being able to move Kassian to the 3rd line would help improve the bottom 6.
Personally with the scoring touch of Drai, id like JHS if you are willing to give him a chance to win the spot. If you want someone on RNH wing than Spring is probably the better fit.

Either way, there is no reason a team like Edmonton with its lack of wingers wouldnt be improving by adding either of these guys.
I think most teams would be smart to take a shot at these guys if they are below 50 contracts and it fits in the cap.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Dont forget that once you pick a player off waivers your team goes to the bottom of the list for priority selection on the following players

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
JHS - 23 y.o. 6' RW
- 37 point pace over 82 games (over his career).
- That's 1 point behind 5th on Edmonton last year.
- Over his first 2 years, he was on a 42 point pace, which would put him 4th last year on the Oilers.

Sprong - 22 y.o, 6' RW
- 25 pt per 82 (career so far), which would have been 8th on the Oilers last year.
- If you think he is the guy form last season, he is a 24 goal and 33 point guy who can really skate.

Both are much more gifted offensively than Kassian, and being able to move Kassian to the 3rd line would help improve the bottom 6.
Personally with the scoring touch of Drai, id like JHS if you are willing to give him a chance to win the spot. If you want someone on RNH wing than Spring is probably the better fit.

Either way, there is no reason a team like Edmonton with its lack of wingers wouldnt be improving by adding either of these guys.
I think most teams would be smart to take a shot at these guys if they are below 50 contracts and it fits in the cap.

Kassian showed very well on the top line last year while he was there. Neither Sprong or Ho Sang have shown more offensive talents at the NHL level. Kassian's issue is with consistency, not his hands or his skating.

Will he stick with the top line? I don't know. Well he stay motivated for 82 games? I don't know that either. Would Sprong or Ho Sang be better than him in the top 6? Doubtful.

Reactions: voxel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->