Confirmed with Link: Oilers have signed Slater Koekkoek

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
harmful to be bringing #7/8 Dmen who have at times proven to be able to handle playing bottom pair? Since when is improving depth harmful? Hope you stretched before making that reach.
heh

In a room that struggles as much as the Oilers room yes its harmful to be bringing in bust players.

I really do believe that. Some players are just distractions. They're constant struggle can impact others adversely. I think theres something off with the room, the team lacks cohesion, some players can add to the room. Others would probably detract from it. Given the Hawks showed zero interest in retaining this player, and only tried him out as an already acknowledged bust (already what was being stated when Hawks signed him) I don't see anything positive with this add.

Not sure which bust D ever go on to find some success or help a club 9yrs later.

"proven able to handle" This player judging from his AHL load is most often proving he can't be in the show.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's the category of players available when trying to sign a potential 7D nine days before the start of training camp. Why not provide some competition for those jobs at the bottom of the roster?

Because a player that was a topten pick is not going to want to be there, does not fit there, and his alleged skillsets don't fit there. I mean the only reason this guy would be here is that a bust NHL contract is better than any alternative. I don't like the mindset that would exist within a bust top round player. Those seldom seem to work out and the last reclamation project that worked out here was Joe Murphy. Oilers keep trying it though..

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I’m sure if prime Willie Mitchell was available he would have come with a $5-6M cap hit. Not sure what the point of comparing him to CooCoo is

"We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck."
- Dave Tippett.

Edit: Fixed to avoid misinformation. The quote was not about Mitchell.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I find it amusing that Willie Mitchell was brought up simply because of this:

"We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck."
- Dave Tippett.

This quote is believed by most to be in reference to Willie Mitchell. Slater Koekkoek isn't Willie Mitchell and that's probably a good thing.

Would like a citation for that quote. Never heard that one. . Having a D like Mitchell took a lot of pressure off of Doughty and Willie eating minutes allowed Doughty to be fresher to do his magic.

if Tippett had said that in regards to Mitchell its one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

People that don't get Willie Mitchell are still trying to figure out how the Kings were able to win 2 cups. They were never the same after him. He was an important added piece to the puzzle to relieve stress on Doughty. Kings could eat D minutes a lot better and complete shutdown picture with Willie there.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I find it amusing that Willie Mitchell was brought up simply because of this:

- Dave Tippett.

This quote is believed by most to be in reference to Willie Mitchell. Slater Koekkoek isn't Willie Mitchell and that's probably a good thing.

hahah that’s an awesome quote!!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
heh

In a room that struggles as much as the Oilers room yes its harmful to be bringing in bust players.

I really do believe that. Some players are just distractions. They're constant struggle can impact others adversely. I think theres something off with the room, the team lacks cohesion, some players can add to the room. Others would probably detract from it. Given the Hawks showed zero interest in retaining this player, and only tried him out as an already acknowledged bust (already what was being stated when Hawks signed him) I don't see anything positive with this add.

Not sure which bust D ever go on to find some success or help a club 9yrs later.

"proven able to handle" This player judging from his AHL load is most often proving he can't be in the show.
That’s cool we can agree to disagree. You’d rather have a Cory Cross, Gryba, Strudwick type player in the lineup. You bring up a guy who was a legit top 4 shutdown Dman as the type of guy you’d rather have in comparison to a guy who was signed to be a #7/8/9 guy. Makes zero sense. All of your arguments against him so far have been massive stretches or just flat out wrong.

Never seen a poster try so hard to make up reasons to discredit a player who was brought in to be an extra layer of organizational depth.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Would like a citation for that quote. Never heard that one. Mitchell was fine in Arizona, and in LA. Reason puck was in yotes end a lot is because they were ususally such a shit poor awful club. Having a D like Mitchell took a lot of pressure off of Doughty and Willie eating minutes allowed Doughty to be fresher to do his magic.

if Tippett had said that in regards to Mitchell its one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

People that don't get Willie Mitchell are still trying to figure out how the Kings were able to win 2 cups. They were never the same after him. He was an important added piece to the puzzle to relieve stress on Doughty. Kings could eat D minutes a lot better and complete shutdown picture with Willie there.

Dave Tippett showing he's the perfect fit for Coyotes

I will say I was wrong about the quote being in regards to Mitchell, I got it from a different source at first, and I saw it posted on HF multiple times that it was about him but apparently it's about a dman he had in the IHL. Tippett however did not appear to be a fan of Mitchell's when he had him in Dallas from what I recall so perhaps I just remember others attributing the quote to why perhaps that was.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
hahah that’s an awesome quote!!

Its a bs quote . Can't find that comment anywhere in reference to Mitchell, 2 time cup winner.

Like I said if Tippett had said that its one of the stupidest things he stated.

Mitchell was an important part of the solid Kings D backbone that won 2 cups and dominated playoffs for a few years.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dave Tippett showing he's the perfect fit for Coyotes

I will say I was wrong about the quote being in regards to Mitchell, I got it from a different source at first, and I saw it posted on HF multiple times that it was about him but apparently it's about a dman he had in the IHL. Tippett however did not appear to be a fan of Mitchell's when he had him in Dallas from what I recall so perhaps I just remember others attributing the quote to why perhaps that was.

So It wasn't about Mitchell at all then. Like I figured. Thanks.

I'm actually feeling a bit better that Tippett wasn't stupid enough to make a comment like that in regards to Mitchell.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Because a player that was a topten pick is not going to want to be there, does not fit there, and his alleged skillsets don't fit there.

Who cares where he was drafted in the 2012 draft?

I don't like the mindset that would exist within a bust top round player.

I find no problem with someone who has faced adversity and overcome it.

Those seldom seem to work out and the last reclamation project that worked out here was Joe Murphy. Oilers keep trying it though..

Pretty selective memory, but I guess you can narrowly define "reclamation project" to fit your narrative.

The Oilers took a flyer on Kassian. 13th overall pick who looked to be washing out of the league. That's a little more recent example of the Oilers taking a chance on a player and it working out.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Bonus is that he seems like the exact type of player that Tippett finds a way to maximize.
This is likely why he is signed. Tippett see the skills and a specialized slot for him.....maybe sometimes against certain teams CoCo draws in beside Larsson and they play 3rd pair minutes.
Going to be alot more movement than normal. The teams that find a way to rest their D through this campaign will be alot more fresh at the end.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bonus is that he seems like the exact type of player that Tippett finds a way to maximize.

Tippett maximizes players in 2020? I think one of the reasons we ran 4 and out in the play in is this pretty much not being the case. He had like 5 guys rowing in that series on a playoff starved club. Wondering whether his best days are past him. The Oilers had no system adherence in that series and were an inconsistent club under him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
if you don’t like this signing you’re...

whitelimpinggrouse

Just jokes!!!

Reactions: Declassified

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Who cares where he was drafted in the 2012 draft?

I find no problem with someone who has faced adversity and overcome it.

Pretty selective memory, but I guess you can narrowly define "reclamation project" to fit your narrative.

The Oilers took a flyer on Kassian. 13th overall pick who looked to be washing out of the league. That's a little more recent example of the Oilers taking a chance on a player and it working out.

Kassian? lmfao. The worst lay down player of the play in. Completely MIA.

Guy has been turkey shit since he signed the contract. Pretty predictable really.

Kassian is garbage to me. One of the worst things wrong with the Oilers room. Could say more and won't.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Tippett maximizes players in 2020? I think one of the reasons we ran 4 and out in the play in is this pretty much not being the case. He had like 5 guys rowing in that series on a playoff starved club. Wondering whether his best days are past him. The Oilers had no system adherence in that series and were an inconsistent club under him.

Hey I had my criticisms of him too during that series, but I’m not going to deny that he finds ways to turn some mediocre players into solid contributors.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
So It wasn't about Mitchell at all then. Like I figured. Thanks.

I'm actually feeling a bit better that Tippett wasn't stupid enough to make a comment like that in regards to Mitchell.

It still has merit as does him history with Mitchell in suggesting he values puck moving over grit. I never hated Willie Mitchell but I'll say with Larsson, Russell, and Lagesson here I'm not convinced we need a player of his ilk. I like that Koekkoek has some skill to go with his size as the Oilers need guys that can get pucks up to the forwards. I have no idea why you'd be down on a solid depth signing like this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hey I had my criticisms of him too during that series, but I’m not going to deny that he finds ways to turn some mediocre players into solid contributors.

Like?

Archibald was a player before coming here. What support player exceeded expectations under Tippett? I can't think of any.

That the team didn't even play their system in a 4 game play in was a real undressing. The one thing I would think about Tippett, previously, is he could devise schemes for a play off type series. Now thats not even there. He's lost my trust.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Like?

Archibald was a player before coming here. What support player exceeded expectations under Tippett? I can't think of any.

That the team didn't even play their system in a 4 game play in was a real undressing. The one thing I would think about Tippett, previously, is he could devise schemes for a play off type series. Now thats not even there. He's lost my trust.

so now because we signed CooCoo you’re sidetracking this thread to be all about Tippet and how you no longer trust him? You’re all over the place today brother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad