Confirmed with Link: Oilers have signed Slater Koekkoek

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Because a player that was a topten pick is not going to want to be there, does not fit there, and his alleged skillsets don't fit there. I mean the only reason this guy would be here is that a bust NHL contract is better than any alternative. I don't like the mindset that would exist within a bust top round player. Those seldom seem to work out and the last reclamation project that worked out here was Joe Murphy. Oilers keep trying it though..
And if he doesn't work out and is beaten out by another player we waive him and burry him in the AHL and it effects the Oilers in absolutely zero way

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Have been watching video for a couple of hours of Chicago. They played 4k quite alot.
They played him against elites and with elites ....alot.
4k is two players in one. On the upside of the redline he is fluid, good at passing, good positioning, knows when to pinch. On the downside he becomes hesitant, over structured and uncertain. He played with Olli Matta as his partner a whole bunch and in the Dzone and through the transition zone Olli was better than him all the time but as they passed the redline you could see and feel the confidence in 4k. This kid skates very well., is decent on the boards, can skate backwards real well. His problems are timing, confidence and turns. Not sure he will ever be that defensive D. and he is not skilled enough to be a true offensive guy.....but he can skate and pass. Put him with a good two way partner and maybe u got something. Also think he would do well on the secondary PP when two d guys are out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Something that has cost this franchise since 2010-2011
Except when it didnt. Like with McDavid, Draisaitl, Bear, Yamamoto and others. It's only bad when you dont have the veterans in place. We do now. I never suggested we throw in some 18 year old either. I'm talking about high profile, well matured prospects, who may stagnate if they aren't given an opportunity. We just saw that with Bear

And seriously we need to step out of the shadow of the 2010 Oilers. The best teams do mix in youth all the time.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You know who had a long layoff? The Blackhawks also. They also structured a gameplan against Bear and continually victimized him on the cycle. It was like a herpe on a lip...you couldn't avoid seeing it
Yeah ... it should have been a cakewalk going up against slugs like Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Kubalik, Strome etc. I know when I saw Oiler fans predictions on that series I just shook my head and kept my mouth shut. The Hawks were one of the worst possible draws for the Oilers. But yeah, we probably shouldn’t even bother resigning Bear cause he deflected that one goal into his own net costing the team the game and the series. Addition by subtraction amirite?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just not enough appreciation for us being able to post AC Slater pictures anytime he gets on the board.

Big picture here fellas. Let's go.

If it were of Kelly Kapowski I would've told people to like your post or be thread banned! Slater does nothin' for me.

You know who had a long layoff? The Blackhawks also. They also structured a gameplan against Bear and continually victimized him on the cycle. It was like a herpe on a lip...you couldn't avoid seeing it

Rookie defenseman struggles against top competition after a lengthy layoff in their first NHL playoff action, who woulda thunk it? Klefbom, Larsson Nurse and Bear all played poorly. Chicago had a specific game plan and executed it while IMO for the most part we never adapted although the series was a coin toss.

Yeah ... it should have been a cakewalk going up against slugs like Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Kubalik, Strome etc. I know when I saw Oiler fans predictions on that series I just shook my head and kept my mouth shut. The Hawks were one of the worst possible draws for the Oilers. But yeah, we probably shouldn’t even bother resigning Bear cause he deflected that one goal into his own net costing the team the game and the series. Addition by subtraction amirite?

I did not like the match-up when I heard it. Veteran cup winners that are still impact players and some high end skill and a goalie with big game experience. I was concerned that we were for the most part a one line team because Drai and Connor didn't do that great without each other or RNH on their line. Connor got Nuge and as a result the Drai line was handicapped. This is why Kahun could be huge for us if he fits in and does well with Drai or Connor.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Because a player that was a topten pick is not going to want to be there, does not fit there, and his alleged skillsets don't fit there. I mean the only reason this guy would be here is that a bust NHL contract is better than any alternative. I don't like the mindset that would exist within a bust top round player. Those seldom seem to work out and the last reclamation project that worked out here was Joe Murphy. Oilers keep trying it though..
Is this the equivalent of an old man yelling at a cloud outside?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Have been watching video for a couple of hours of Chicago. They played 4k quite alot.
They played him against elites and with elites ....alot.
4k is two players in one. On the upside of the redline he is fluid, good at passing, good positioning, knows when to pinch. On the downside he becomes hesitant, over structured and uncertain. He played with Olli Matta as his partner a whole bunch and in the Dzone and through the transition zone Olli was better than him all the time but as they passed the redline you could see and feel the confidence in 4k. This kid skates very well., is decent on the boards, can skate backwards real well. His problems are timing, confidence and turns. Not sure he will ever be that defensive D. and he is not skilled enough to be a true offensive guy.....but he can skate and pass. Put him with a good two way partner and maybe u got something. Also think he would do well on the secondary PP when two d guys are out.
How much did he PK?
Ideally we would be limiting PK minutes of Jones, Barrie, Bear and Bouchard

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
He pked about a minute 20 a game. Hawks pk was good. 9th in the league
I wouldnt read too much into his PK time. Since the first of the year the Hawks have seemed to be in evaluation mode especially with all their D. Almost even time given out to the three pairings at times. You would think that the first pair would be out with the Kane line alot but that time was shared with all three pairings. Slater has a problem reading/anticipating the play leaving him a step behind in crucial situations--not ur first choice when a decision is needed ie. do i stay in the lower slot or move up and clear that guy out?
But surprisingly while he wasnt the best he did okay. Given only a couple of choices he does pretty well. Overwhelm him with options and ur asking for failure. The speed of his processor is certainly not at Patrick Kane speed. However if you limited his responsibility and decision making requirements he can do it well and he can engage well, ie. Slater if a guy gets the puck on your wall go there and get the puck from him and either pass it up the wall or to your d partner--if these are both cover skate it up to the red line and pass it off to the center. He can likely do this very well. But if you go back and tell him --if both are covered look to pass it up the middle to one of the three forwards that are heading north with speed -- well ur asking for trouble. This is what i saw--it becomes very evident after 4 or 5 games.
I wouldnt be surprised if Hawks management went to Toews and asked him if he would like to move to sunny Florida sometime before the trade deadline this year. I think they will burn it down as much as is prudent.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I just fear that the only reason we made this deal is because of some short looks in the play in. Just kind of a suspicious add. I mean this guy isn't even in the league if he wasn't a first rounder a long long time ago and teams somehow still hoping.

Its weird. First time in his NHL career a team even gives him much of a look, last year in Chicago, and instead of landing there they have no interest in retaining him and they know more than we would. This is classic deckchairs nothing add. I just get tired of it years later, still going on while the McDrai clock is ticking. Were far past the time to just be airlifting nothing guys in.

It's not that strange, Hawks have Keith, de Haan and Zadorov on the left side, all of whom are better than Koekkoek. The Oilers LD depth is Nurse, Russell and a question mark in Jones. We already signed Barrie and can't afford to add a higher end defenseman to help alleviate the loss of Klefbom so Holland signed a depth guy who can at least make sure there is some competition for the bottom-pairing as well as added depth in case of further injuries. Not sure what you expected with the cap situation being what it is. It was clear we needed another depth LHD and we got one.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Would rather have a guy like Koekkoek in the taxi squad, than someone like Brandon Manning.
I'm thinking he is for that, yes. I doubt he would contend for a 2nd pairing spot. But hey, maybe. I want young players to get prime roles but I still believe that once players are here the competition should be fair. The ones playing the best should get the best roles.

Its a bit of a shame that we still have to worry about waivers, but at least we can put players on that squad to start with

Reactions: Drivesaitl

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Even waivers would be tricky this time around. Claiming someone currently in US would require quarantine process.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He pked about a minute 20 a game. Hawks pk was good. 9th in the league

So second pairing usage that’s good.

Nurse is good on the PK, Bear held up okay during the regular season.

Ideally we would run Nurse-Larsson on the 1st unit. Have Koekkoek and maybe Russell/Bear on the 2nd?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
4k wasn't any good on PK. But he was the default 2nd option on the RD side theater half of the year. It was either him or Boqvist/Gustafson in most of that time so of course he did it.

Once he switched to RD and paired with Mattaa he was in a good groove. He had a few games with Keith that didn't fit as well. He was solid in that spot but how much will that continue without a steady smart partner like Mattaa, that I dont know.

Reactions: Anarchism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad