Confirmed with Link: Oilers have signed Slater Koekkoek

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The signing is hours old and the usual suspects have begun their season-long cryfest about a player who will be the 6/7/8 defenseman on the team. Get a grip.

I have a hard time believing that anyone’s most negative reaction to this signing could be much more than “meh, not a fan of the player”. The goalposts that are being moved and stretches being done to paint this as some terrible cap wasting signing of a bust is a little odd for sure.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Like?

Archibald was a player before coming here. What support player exceeded expectations under Tippett? I can't think of any.

That the team didn't even play their system in a 4 game play in was a real undressing. The one thing I would think about Tippett, previously, is he could devise schemes for a play off type series. Now thats not even there. He's lost my trust.

Finding useful roles for Sheahan and Khaira, both of whom are terrible and not NHL level players IMO.

Managing Benning’s ice time to reduce his potential exposure to major on ice gaffes, something previous coaches have had trouble doing.

Neal.

Making lead-skates-Chiasson into something that’s not a total liability on the ice.

Look, I didn’t like him either for his decisions during the play in series but I’m not going to throw away the entire season’s worth of results either.

Methinks you just had a Grinchy Christmas yesterday. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
so now because we signed CooCoo you’re sidetracking this thread to be all about Tippet and how you no longer trust him? You’re all over the place today brother.

A good coach like Sather can get something out of a bust reclamation project. I'd just asked the last time the Oilers were able to make something out of a reclamation. It was way back in 1990.

I can't think of one since. Mostly bust players have been bad news here.

There was a time when I figured these were worth a shot. Don't really have that same impression anymore.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
For better and for worse we have this guy. He has some value probably more than Lags. Now get Bear signed and find one more than competent goaltender and we've got a pretty good team. A grown up Holloway and an experienced Bouchard and get Neal some blow and some caffeine in him and we might have a very good team.
I know my imagination ran away with the spoon!

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Finding useful roles for Sheahan and Khaira, both of whom are terrible and not NHL level players IMO.

Managing Benning’s ice time to reduce his potential exposure to major on ice gaffes, something previous coaches have had trouble doing.

Neal.

Making lead-skates-Chiasson into something that’s not a total liability on the ice.

Look, I didn’t like him either for his decisions during the play in series but I’m not going to throw away the entire season’s worth of results either.

Methinks you just had a Grinchy Christmas yesterday. ;)

Sheahan and Khaira had their worst ever seasons, and in the latters case thats saying something.

Neal is a good player that I know would do OK and rebound. Has nothing to do with Tippett.

Chiasson had a nothing year.

Yeah, getting tired of pandemic, maybe weighing on me, and its weighing on family, hard time of year and with the distancing. One of those fed up days I guess plus I'm in physical pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Like?

Archibald was a player before coming here. What support player exceeded expectations under Tippett? I can't think of any.

That the team didn't even play their system in a 4 game play in was a real undressing. The one thing I would think about Tippett, previously, is he could devise schemes for a play off type series. Now thats not even there. He's lost my trust.

the lack of system play in the playoffs was definitely gross. Guess one positive is that CooCoo was able to play within Chicago’s system and be a positive contributor during that same series.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
A good coach like Sather can get something out of a bust reclamation project. I'd just asked the last time the Oilers were able to make something out of a reclamation. It was way back in 1990.

I can't think of one since. Mostly bust players have been bad news here.

There was a time when I figured these were worth a shot. Don't really have that same impression anymore.

you were just given multiple examples on this page...don’t even need to think of one, just need to open your eyes.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sheahan and Khaira had their worst ever seasons, and in the latters case thats saying something.

Neal is a good player that I know would do OK and rebound. Has nothing to do with Tippett.

Chiasson had a nothing year.

Yeah, getting tired of pandemic, maybe weighing on me, and its weighing on family, hard time of year and with the distancing. One of those fed up days I guess.

So basically Tippett gets none of any credit and all of the blame? I hated his decisions in the play in too but that’s preposterous.

I think you just need a big hug. :newyear:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So basically Tippett gets none of any credit and all of the blame? I hated his decisions in the play in too but that’s preposterous.

I think you just need a big hug. :newyear:

I'm having a recurring health condition I've needed surgery on for 18mths. Flared up big time last 24hrs, I'm backlisted for surgery once again, and tbh wouldn't want to go near a hospital but if it gets worse I might not have a choice. Just before Xmas I got yet another notice that surgery is on hold indefinitely despite my symptoms. Doctor made referral for this surgery over 18mths ago, still waiting, still suffering, can hardly move today. Its a painful condition. So definitely thats happening and impacting me today. Given that one of the conditions of this is swelling and fever it causes other worries too.

Typically flares up and goes away after a couple days but could require emergency some day.

So I'm definitely out of sorts today and having problems. Slept two hours last night being comfortable in any position, just feeling awful.

Disappointing thing is I thought the condition was improving lately, now its worst its been again. Same condition has prevented me from Cycling the last couple years so Its been hard on me given thats one of my lifelong passions.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm having a recurring health condition I've needed surgery on for 18mths. Flared up big time last 24hrs, I'm backlisted for surgery once again, and tbh wouldn't want to go near a hospital but if it gets worse I might not have a choice. Just before Xmas I got yet another notice that surgery is on hold indefinitely despite my symptoms. Doctor made referral for this surgery over 18mths ago, still waiting, still suffering, can hardly move today. Its a painful condition. So definitely thats happening and impacting me today. Given that one of the conditions of this is swelling and fever it causes other worries too.

Typically flares up and goes away after a couple days but could require emergency some day.

So I'm definitely out of sorts today and having problems. Slept two hours last night being comfortable in any position, just feeling awful.

Disappointing thing is I thought the condition was improving lately, now its worst its been again. Same condition has prevented me from Cycling the last couple years so Its been hard on me given thats one of my lifelong passions.

Sorry to hear that. Hope things settle down a bit soon and you can get that surgery after everybody’s vaccinated.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like it, his advanced defensive metrics are quite strong and he's been a plus player on a Chicago team that isn't lights out defensively. Still young too.

Think maybe trying to do a deal in-season for a goalie upgrade maybe the main thing left for the roster.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Not trying to make fun ...but there is this beach in Barbados beside the Crane Hotel.....you can lay there under the sun and wiggle ur finger every so often and they will bring you a full glass of rum (good rum) with bitters on the top....they will even bring it with ice if you ask...
However the internet connection can be sporadic...

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry to hear that. Hope things settle down a bit soon and you can get that surgery after everybody’s vaccinated.

Thanks man. The pandemic hasn't come at a good time, not that there is such a time. My initial surgery was delayed, then scheduled March 15th 2020, then cancelled outright. If I had it one month earlier instead of waiting for several months already on the prior waitlist I would not have been dealing with this still the last year. Recurring condition, flares, up, I'm like Oscar Klefbom.

But without the kind of medical support pros get.

Other treatments haven't worked, thats why they referred it to surgery.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks man. The pandemic hasn't come at a good time, not that there is such a time. My initial surgery was delayed, then scheduled March 15th, then cancelled outright. If I had it one month earlier instead of waiting for several months already I would not have been dealing with this still the last year. Recurring condition, flares, up, I'm like Oscar Klefbom.

Makes sense, since you both have an affinity for attractive blonde Swedish women. ;)

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I like Bear a lot but I agree, he was bad in the Hawks series and if Bouchard looks better than him in the preseason I'd like for the Oilers to give Bouchard the chance.

But there is a 0% chance Bear isn't in the top 6. It'll just a big year for coaching as Tippett needs to find some defensive pairings that work.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
heh

In a room that struggles as much as the Oilers room yes its harmful to be bringing in bust players.

I really do believe that. Some players are just distractions. They're constant struggle can impact others adversely. I think theres something off with the room, the team lacks cohesion, some players can add to the room. Others would probably detract from it. Given the Hawks showed zero interest in retaining this player, and only tried him out as an already acknowledged bust (already what was being stated when Hawks signed him) I don't see anything positive with this add.

Not sure which bust D ever go on to find some success or help a club 9yrs later.

"proven able to handle" This player judging from his AHL load is most often proving he can't be in the show.
you are just never happy with anything the oilers do.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The first 40 games I agree, looked like he might be, the last 40 though ouch he looked bad.

Overblown a bit here, yes Bear faded down the last 20 games, but this is normal for a rookie defencemen in their first full season.

It's like getting mad at a 9 year old for not eventually showing strain for caring after a 9 month old ... the 9 year old shouldn't be in that position to begin with.

The Oilers were very fortunate that Bear gave them top pairing minutes for a good 50 games last year especially with Larsson hurt in the 1st game of the season, the Oilers could've gone downhill right from there.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
so now because we signed CooCoo you’re sidetracking this thread to be all about Tippet and how you no longer trust him? You’re all over the place today brother.
all he does is play contrarian, if the oilers came out and said the sky is blue he would argue that and say its green. He is never happy with anything and only complains, says players are garbage and pretends to know to more than anyone involved in the team. He's a classic blowhard sports radio type guy. he's opinion should be discounted when discussing issues regarding the team, its always a negative one. Kassian has been amazing for the team over the last 3 years and he calls him garbage? get real man.

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like?

Bear and Yamamoto, if you want to count them as "support players", blew the doors off expectations.

Neal too, if anyone said you could trade Lucic for Neal and Neal would score at a higher goals per game rate than he did in Vegas ... most people would've taken that and ran.

Tipp did make some bad calls for the play-in round though, that's fair. Too much time to overthink things, but it didn't help that Klefbom basically should not have been playing in that state and Larsson was hurt too, not too many teams can lose both their no.1 and no.3 D and still hold the fort.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Because a player that was a topten pick is not going to want to be there, does not fit there, and his alleged skillsets don't fit there. I mean the only reason this guy would be here is that a bust NHL contract is better than any alternative. I don't like the mindset that would exist within a bust top round player. Those seldom seem to work out and the last reclamation project that worked out here was Joe Murphy. Oilers keep trying it though..

What should we do instead? Fire the coach? Because that’s worked out so well in the past.

We have had 8 coaches in 10 years. Eight f***ing coaches in 10 god damn years.

Unless Tippett does something unforgivable or somehow sinks the team he needs to remain HC. Instability has been the cause of a lot of our woes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->