Proposal: Oilers-Flames

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I agree with a lot of what you posted but you’re going to have a real tough time convincing me Nurse is a better skater than Brodie. That just isn’t true. Brodie’s 2 best attributes are his ability to rush the puck up ice and his 2 line backhand saucer passes.

Given the current makeup of our D Corp I’d have a hard time pulling the trigger on a one for one deal but think you would have to from Calgary’s point of view just because of the value.
Nurse's skating is easily 2nd best on the Oilers after McJesus and honestly its one of the best in the league. He would be the best skater on a lot of teams, including Calgary. Far and away his best attribute.

A Nurse with 0 offensive instincts, little hockey IQ, and no toughness would still become a top 4 d-man eventually because of his size and skating combination. When you add in his other talents, thats what gives him true top pairing potential. He will help define the modern day shutdown d-man because of the toughness and size, as well as the skating to easily keep up with the modern day NHL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse's skating is easily 2nd best on the Oilers after McJesus and honestly its one of the best in the league. A Nurse with 0 offensive instincts, little hockey IQ, and no toughness would still become a top 4 d-man eventually because of his size and skating combination. When you add in his other attributes, thats what gives him true top pairing potential.

Anyone that thinks Nurse isn’t a top four right now needs an emergency MRI.

Reactions: zar

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
Neither team would want this, yes it may look like fairly even team depending on what fan you talk to but it would just mess up team chemistry and wouldn't really benefit anyone

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nurse would beat the **** out of him.
tenor.gif

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think OP should be given credit here actually, he's managed to do the impossible, which is unite Calgary and Edmonton fans against a common enemy. Usually we have to wait for games against Vancouver for that to happen.
At least this thread was good for something

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
When your first proposal fails and your edited proposal fails. It does not mean try again, walk away from the keyboard cauae this one is bad too.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As a fan who likes both teams . Nurse has more value then Brodie . For the fan saying Brodie was a top pairing D in the pass . Gretzky was the best player in the world in the pass . Point is that time has came and gone . Nurse has got better each and every year . It is not like Nurse has plateau in his development . He big , he fast , he very physical and will stick up for his team mates .

The 2nd deal doesn't cut it for Calgary . RNH hasn't shown enough for the Flames to part with their 1C that has scored 30 goals a couple of time and been close another 2 times . Not sure the Oilers do it either until the know what they have with McDavid and RNH . Was last year a flash in the pan or will they be truly that great together either way the Flames don;t have a McDavid to put RNH with so it is a down grade for them . Also Edmonton needs winger not another C . RNH may be that high end winger we need

Reactions: ivanlwan

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Talk about a confusing thread, It should be a rule that you can't edit the original proposal.

The end game is Klefbom might not even make the the Flames top 5 and Monahan trumps RNH big time.

Reactions: Kahvi

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
As a fan who likes both teams . Nurse has more value then Brodie . For the fan saying Brodie was a top pairing D in the pass . Gretzky was the best player in the world in the pass . Point is that time has came and gone . Nurse has got better each and every year . It is not like Nurse has plateau in his development . He big , he fast , he very physical and will stick up for his team mates .

The 2nd deal doesn't cut it for Calgary . RNH hasn't shown enough for the Flames to part with their 1C that has scored 30 goals a couple of time and been close another 2 times . Not sure the Oilers do it either until the know what they have with McDavid and RNH . Was last year a flash in the pan or will they be truly that great together either way the Flames don;t have a McDavid to put RNH with so it is a down grade for them . Also Edmonton needs winger not another C . RNH may be that high end winger we need
:huh:
This is going to be a problem...

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Neither team does the latest proposal. Monahan is more suited to be the #1C over Nuge, so that is a no go from Calgary. And in no way do I trade Nurse or Klefbom for Brodie, when taking in contracts and age the value is not even close tbh, even though Brodie is pretty good.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am less convinced that the difference between Nuge and Monahan is that great. Monahan has better offensive numbers for sure but it is tough to say how much of that is due to playing almost exclusively with Gaudreau at ES.

Here is the offensive side of things. I will exclude Monahan's rookie year and look only at the last 4 years. Over that period at ES Monahan has 169 ES points in 318 games. That is .53 points per game. In those 4 years Nuge has 132 Es points in 275 games played or about .48 points per game. This is not a huge difference, though of course the number of games played is a factor. If you look at minutes played then Monahan has 2.13 ES points /60 min to Nuge's 1.91 ES pts/60. But in roughly 1260 minutes away from Gaudreau Monahan's numbers drop to about 1.85 ES pts/ 60.

In those four years Nuge has played with two elite players...Hall(822) and McDavid (230). That's about 1000 of his 4143 ES minutes over that period. The interesting thing is that over their time together Nuge's pts/60 numbers have typically been higher away from Hall than they were with Hall and this is the case over this period as well. Playing with Hall, Nuge deferred to Hall and tended to play very cautiously as he was typically the only guy on his line who cared much about defending. In his time with McDavid he has 16 points in 262 minutes which is 3.66 ES pts/60. Take the points with Hall and McDavid out of Nuge's numbers and he would be at about the same point rate as Monahan without Gaudreau over those 4 years.

In three of those years Nuge's focus was on defense first. This year McLellan asked him to up the offense. His ES pts/60 was 2.40 overall and 2.06 playing away from McDavid mostly with wingers who were struggling.

I should say that generally I am not a fan of blindly using pts/60 to compare players skills. But these two have relatively similar circumstances and it is probably reasonable to use these sorts of averages to compare how the two produce in various circumstances.

The point is that Monahan on the Oilers would probably have the same role Nuge had over the last few years. His defensive game is not as good as Nuge's so his offense would have to be a fair bit better than Nuge's for the Oilers to see Monahan as an upgrade at ES. But he does not have the track record as being better if his wingers are guys like Lucic and Puljujarvi rather than Gaudreau.

For the Oilers I think they are better off seeing how it plays out with Nuge on McDavid's wing. The results so far have been very good. Monahan is in a very good spot on the Flames so I don't see why either team would really want to flip one player for the other.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad