Proposal: Oilers-Flames

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really bad for the Flames. Give up the two best players in the deal. Nurse has done f*** all in this league. RNH has actually regressed somehow since being drafted. Brodie carried the Flames in 2014-15 when Gio went down and Monahan is a lock for over 60 pts.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Am I missing something? Monahan and Brodie in this deal?

Calgary is not trading Monahan. He is our first line center!

I like RNH and Nurse. Yet to trade our top line center and top pairing dman for this package would be a massive mistake.

Change RNH to Drai and then we could discuss it. Even then I dont like it.

Are Nurse and RNH top line players? Monahan is and Brodie was in the past.

This trade will never happen.

The original post was Nurse for Brodie straight up

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
more like Monahan>>Nuge and Brodie=Nurse... Monahan is a proven 1C and Nuge is a good 2C ( tons of 2Cs around the nhl and very few 1Cs... ask montreal.) On the Brodie and Nurse side of the deal Brodie is a good Proven top 4 dman and nurse is just hitting his stride after years of dismal play tell me Nurse>>Brodie when Nurse does something to prove he is.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I feel this proposal is the best one yet...

To Edmonton: Brodie & Monahan

To Calgary: Klefbom & RNH
giphy.webp

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
more like Monahan>>Nuge and Brodie=Nurse... Monahan is a proven 1C and Nuge is a good 2C ( tons of 2Cs around the nhl and very few 1Cs... ask montreal.) On the Brodie and Nurse side of the deal Brodie is a good Proven top 4 dman and nurse is just hitting his stride after years of dismal play tell me Nurse>>Brodie when Nurse does something to prove he is.

Can't argue with your RNH vs. Monahan assessment. Problem is we have 97 & 29 as #1 and #2 C.

Disagree with your Nurse vs. Brodie assessment.

Prior to last season, Nurse had a total of 115 NHL games (his rookie and sophomore years)... and his play was exactly what you would expect for an average rookie and sophomore season for a young dman. Last year Nurse's avg TOI/GP (not including PP) was slightly higher than Brodie's and the 2nd (to Klefbom) highest of any Oiler. He faced top comps and played as a top pairing. Was he perfect?... absolutely not... but he showed very well. He is basically a young Brodie, slightly less offensive, a better skater, not as good a passer, much more physical and about equal defensively. His ceiling is probably a very solid #2 and his floor is a solid #3... just like Brodie. The difference is 5 years in age and probably about 5 years or more in contract.

Value wise right now.

Monahan >> RNH
Brodie < Nurse

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I feel this proposal is the best one yet...

To Edmonton: Brodie & Monahan

To Calgary: Klefbom & RNH

Calgary doesn't go near that one.

They're trading a first line center for a second line center at best.

Klefbom and Brodie both struggled last year, but I think Brodie is more talented.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Not interested in Brodie, and why would we need another center in Monahan? RNH is going to play LW with McDavid as they showed they had chemistry in the last 1/4 of last season while playing together and were very effective. They meshed incredibly well together; we're not going to blow that up. No thanks.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I agree Monahan is superior to RNH. I think Monahan is comfortably a 1C, where as RNH is at the very low end of 1C (i.e. like 30th in the league).

But the Oilers need Klefbom's contract, and I think purely skill wise he is easily better and more valuable than Brodie.

So it no from the Oilers. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Calgary turned it down too, you don't downgrade your 1C. Simple as that.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
The original post was Nurse for Brodie straight up

With that said it does make a huge difference! Hard to respond to a thread when players involved keep changing.

Brodie for Nurse? Totally different trade in my eyes. Two totally different players.

Right now Calgary adds. After Brodie playing with Gio next season Edmonton adds.

I like Dougie Hamilton, and Brodie too. Both players suck when they dont play with Gio. Stars when they do.

I hate talking trades with Oiler fans. I hate talking trades with Flames fans. Dont get me started on the Leafs fans.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Can't argue with your RNH vs. Monahan assessment. Problem is we have 97 & 29 as #1 and #2 C.

Disagree with your Nurse vs. Brodie assessment.

Prior to last season, Nurse had a total of 115 NHL games (his rookie and sophomore years)... and his play was exactly what you would expect for an average rookie and sophomore season for a young dman. Last year Nurse's avg TOI/GP (not including PP) was slightly higher than Brodie's and the 2nd (to Klefbom) highest of any Oiler. He faced top comps and played as a top pairing. Was he perfect?... absolutely not... but he showed very well. He is basically a young Brodie, slightly less offensive, a better skater, not as good a passer, much more physical and about equal defensively. His ceiling is probably a very solid #2 and his floor is a solid #3... just like Brodie. The difference is 5 years in age and probably about 5 years or more in contract.

Value wise right now.

Monahan >> RNH
Brodie < Nurse

I agree with a lot of what you posted but you’re going to have a real tough time convincing me Nurse is a better skater than Brodie. That just isn’t true. Brodie’s 2 best attributes are his ability to rush the puck up ice and his 2 line backhand saucer passes.

Given the current makeup of our D Corp I’d have a hard time pulling the trigger on a one for one deal but think you would have to from Calgary’s point of view just because of the value.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The only deal I see that could make sense between the two teams is a prospect swap:

Puljujarvi for Andersson/Valimaki

Well it made sense before we traded Fox and waived Kulak

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Calgary doesn't go near that one.

They're trading a first line center for a second line center at best.

Klefbom and Brodie both struggled last year, but I think Brodie is more talented.

I don't disagree that the Flames don't do this, basically because of the downgrade from Monahan to RNH and the fact Monahan has 2 extra years on his deal.

Explain more about your Brodie and Klefbom assessment... to me these two are very close in virtually every aspect of their game. Brodie has 2 years left on his deal and Klefbom 5 years. Based solely on the time left on their contracts (Klefbom's being $500K less) and the fact Klefbom is 4 years younger, I would say Klefbom holds more value to an NHL club. It's fair that you have the opinion that Brodie is more talented (matter of opinion) but to say he is more valuable would be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Now you managed to make it even worse for Edmonton. I beg you, pls stop lol. Your horrible at this.

Klefbom>Brodie
RNH>>>Bennett
and now he's made it bad for Calgary :laugh:
this thread just needs to be locked like an old abandoned asylum

Reactions: 780il

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I agree with a lot of what you posted but you’re going to have a real tough time convincing me Nurse is a better skater than Brodie. That just isn’t true. Brodie’s 2 best attributes are his ability to rush the puck up ice and his 2 line backhand saucer passes.

Given the current makeup of our D Corp I’d have a hard time pulling the trigger on a one for one deal but think you would have to from Calgary’s point of view just because of the value.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Don't get me wrong, Brodie is a great skater. I won't debate that but Nurse is one of the strongest skaters in the league right now... think of a young Brodie, with young legs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
@Cityswiper

Please for the love of Jesus stop with the bad proposals that you edit to something completely different. It makes the first bunch of comments totally nonsensical.

We have two centres better than Monahan and RNH was lights out on McDavid’s wing. Brodie is only good with Giordano and he doesn’t play here. Why would Edmonton do either this or your original deal?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Am I missing something? Monahan and Brodie in this deal?

Calgary is not trading Monahan. He is our first line center!

I like RNH and Nurse. Yet to trade our top line center and top pairing dman for this package would be a massive mistake.

Change RNH to Drai and then we could discuss it. Even then I dont like it.

Are Nurse and RNH top line players? Monahan is and Brodie was in the past.

This trade will never happen.

Lol guy you really don’t want to have anything to do with the cost we’d demand to trade Leon Draisaitl to our most hated rival. It ain’t Monahan/Brodie, I’ll tell you that much.

Reactions: McNuge

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
@Cityswiper

Please for the love of Jesus stop with the bad proposals that you edit to something completely different. It makes the first bunch of comments totally nonsensical.

We have two centres better than Monahan and RNH was lights out on McDavid’s wing. Brodie is only good with Giordano and he doesn’t play here. Why would Edmonton do either this or your original deal?

What was the original offer?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The only deal I see that could make sense between the two teams is a prospect swap:

Puljujarvi for Andersson/Valimaki

Well it made sense before we traded Fox and waived Kulak

RW is a much bigger need for us now than point producing defencemen are. We’re content to wait on Bear/Bouchard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad