GDT: Oilers @ Flames: Going for 4 on HNIC (8:00 pm MT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Geoff Ward probably gonna sing lullaby's to the players tonight as they go to sleep and then welcome them back to the ice with lollipops tomorrow instead of actually coach

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Geoff Ward probably gonna sing lullaby's to the players tonight as they go to sleep and then welcome them back to the ice with lollipops tomorrow instead of actually coach

How bad was the Corsi battle tonight? Lol

Wonder what cooked up "advanced stat" BS the flames have for this team. Clearly the "process" just needs more time.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Absolute egg of a game.
I've tried to be pro Looch this season but cmon man, you'd expect him to show some engagement in this game, just beyond disappointed that I even expected anything of him.
Bennett had a good showing imo
Hanifin and Kylington were completely terrible
Talbot came in and made saves he had no business making, hope he starts on Tuesday and props to him for fighting Smith.
Andersson is a ****ing beauty

At least we don't play those bums till game 82 now, so hopefully we can better channel our emotions. Sucks to lose to them but oh well it is what it is.
Kinda wish Rinaldo was dressed instead of Rieder, buddy would've tried to goon it up in the 3rd for sure.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
If anyone here thinks we're a good team with a potential long playoff run, answer me this.
When was the last time we won a game in regulation?

This is as far back as I remember.

Montreal shutout loss
Toronto shootout win
Ottawa regulation loss
St. Louis shootout loss
Edmonton shootout win
Edmonton debacle loss.

I honestly can't remember when we won a game without overtime or shootout.
Anyone?

Reactions: Tofveve

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If anyone here thinks we're a good team with a potential long playoff run, answer me this.

Montreal shutout loss
Toronto shootout win
Ottawa regulation loss
St. Louis shootout loss
Edmonton shootout win
Edmonton debacle loss.

Anyone?

We didn't win a single game in January by more than 1 goal...

We lost our entire GD we gained in January in 1 game by a factor of 2. Wow!

Reactions: Boomstick

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

Montreal shutout loss
Toronto shootout win
Ottawa regulation loss
St. Louis shootout loss
Edmonton shootout win
Edmonton debacle loss.

Anyone?
last regulation win was Jan 9th, 2-1 vs. Minnesota and for an even more depressing stat our last win by 2 goals or more was Dec 27th against the coilers.
We're 7-3-1 in 2020 with a -4 GD lmao

Reactions: Boomstick

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
What a head scratcher scratching Zac Rinaldo in a game like this is. And the fact that Lucic didn't even throw one punch in a game like this must also be extremely frustrating for you Flames fans. I'm fornicating livid and I'm not even a Flames fan (even though one of my favourite players of all time is Theo Fleury).

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
There was a goalie fight and I am done listing all that was good tonight.

I hope there is some massive flu going around or that was just plain abysmal.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Except we don't even compete in many of those years
Just like many other teams, we have gone through cycles. Ironically, the closest we ever got to a Cup in the last 30 years was with a team that was the definition of mediocre all year long. We came out of the lockout with a team that was well above mediocre until the playoffs. We got to watch the career of one of the greatest players of that generation. Then we went through a few lean years again and since the rebuild, we've had several very exciting seasons. Say what you want about the 2014-15 team, but if you didn't enjoy that season, I would find it hard to relate to you. And last year there was only one team less mediocre than us all year long.

I just think it's silly to get too hung up. We've had a few seasons in a row now of teams winning the Cup after appearing to have wasted their window many, many times over before. It's never as simple to put together a champion as you seem to think, and the reality of the situation is that it is much more likely to not with the Cup than it is to win one even if the GM does everything perfectly. The salary cap era is such that every team is mediocre. Some are just more mediocre than others.

Anyway, I'm ready to put this game behind us. We played effective hockey those first two games out of the break, and then we weren't in any way ready to play tonight. Hanifin is in a massive slump and appears to have lost his confidence, but he's pretty much what Brodie was during the Hamilton years, and Brodie snapped out of it, so there's hope. We get San Jose next, and it's a chance to start something positive instead of dwelling on one bad night.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Don't we get a 3rd from Edmonton if Neal puts up 21 goals and Looch has less than 10 or something?

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Just like many other teams, we have gone through cycles. Ironically, the closest we ever got to a Cup in the last 30 years was with a team that was the definition of mediocre all year long. We came out of the lockout with a team that was well above mediocre until the playoffs. We got to watch the career of one of the greatest players of that generation. Then we went through a few lean years again and since the rebuild, we've had several very exciting seasons. Say what you want about the 2014-15 team, but if you didn't enjoy that season, I would find it hard to relate to you. And last year there was only one team less mediocre than us all year long.

I just think it's silly to get too hung up. We've had a few seasons in a row now of teams winning the Cup after appearing to have wasted their window many, many times over before. It's never as simple to put together a champion as you seem to think, and the reality of the situation is that it is much more likely to not with the Cup than it is to win one even if the GM does everything perfectly. The salary cap era is such that every team is mediocre. Some are just more mediocre than others.

Anyway, I'm ready to put this game behind us. We played effective hockey those first two games out of the break, and then we weren't in any way ready to play tonight. Hanifin is in a massive slump and appears to have lost his confidence, but he's pretty much what Brodie was during the Hamilton years, and Brodie snapped out of it, so there's hope. We get San Jose next, and it's a chance to start something positive instead of dwelling on one bad night.

I am sorry but what cycles?

Last time we won a series was in 2015 against a pretty bad Canucks team.

We won 4 series total since the Cup. Show me the cycle. Where's the cycle?

But I guess we're doing better than Columbus. Yay?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Had to figure Edmonton was going to come out hard. Losing 4 in a row to us wouldn't be acceptable. They're not a good team, but we aren't any better. I'd be happy to get them first round, as that's the only team we can probably beat lol.. Keeping Ward was a terrible move and there's just so many issues with the roster.

Reactions: Schred

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
We need a true top #1 center, we need a legit NHL coach, we need to retool our D. I hate to say it but we have more holes than Swiss Cheese and this GM has been at the helm for 7 years.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The best thing for this team right now is to miss the playoffs, it is short term pain for long term gain.

It is better than getting embarrassed in the playoffs.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

We can always put a positive spin on things but at the end of the days there have been more lows than highs since we last won the cup. That's just being honest among flames fans.

I have seen brilliance from Brodie. Have never seen the same level from hanifin. So to compare him with Brodie is also not reasonable. Coming out of what? From slump to mediocre? He is an average or below average dman with some raw talent. He was young and was supposed to grow but he is going the other direction. Some canes fans claimed he is an idiot and lack of fundamental. We can clearly see it now. With this coach I doubt he gets the help he needs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad