Oilers fire family Liason to save nickels

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What have the Oilers done incompetently in this process so far?

I will say having Keith Gretzky up there right in the new GM hire conference was odd, inappropriate, and sending all kinds of messages.

Next, the Oilers are tipping their hat at what won't necessarily be a good situation for a new GM. In short that because Chiarelli was a complete flop, and awful, the org has now clearly moved back to stating that the new GM will be micromanaged. That decisions will go through the room. They will be processed stamped decisions.

So in other words the Oilers are stating, to anybody out there listening, that a GM here will now be on a shorter leash because Chiarelli is an idiot. This is reactive on the part of the Oilers and it sends a bad message out there to any competent GM that really wants to put a stamp on things.

Ironically the Oilers did the right thing in regards to a new GM with Chiarelli. They game him control and trust. Their mistake it should have never been with that guy. They picked the wrong guy to give the blanket trust to.

I bet theres a sense around the NHL that this is a potential toxic job situation due to how much Chiarelli f***ed things over. Anybody taking this over has all kinds of shit to deal with now. The new GM has to create instant success because the other one was so incompetent. He has to do that while having hands tied. The Oilers org of course created this whole powderkeg situation that effects even the players substantially.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
I will say having Keith Gretzky up there right in the new GM hire conference was odd, inappropriate, and sending all kinds of messages.

Next, the Oilers are tipping their hat at what won't necessarily be a good situation for a new GM. In short that because Chiarelli was a complete flop, and awful, the org has now clearly moved back to stating that the new GM will be micromanaged. That decisions will go through the room. They will be processed stamped decisions.

So in other words the Oilers are stating, to anybody out there listening, that a GM here will now be on a shorter leash because Chiarelli is an idiot. This is reactive on the part of the Oilers and it sends a bad message out there to any competent GM that really wants to put a stamp on things.

Ironically the Oilers did the right thing in regards to a new GM with Chiarelli. They game him control and trust. Their mistake it should have never been with that guy. They picked the wrong guy to give the blanket trust to.

I bet theres a sense around the NHL that this is a potential toxic job situation due to how much Chiarelli ****ed things over. Anybody taking this over has all kinds of **** to deal with now. The new GM has to create instant success because the other one was so incompetent. He has to do that while having hands tied. The Oilers org of course created this whole powderkeg situation that effects even the players substantially.
Their PR department needs a rebuild.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003

Nicholson is the incompetency.

Review his bio.

Chiarelli - Is responsible for hiring and overseeing the GM that bleed the Oilers or talent and skill and lead us to where we are.
Forensic audit - What happened to his supposed forensic audit that was supposed to identify all concerns? Based on no house cleaning of long term management has occurred up to now, we have to conclude that either the audit is incomplete or identified no areas of concern. When you are the worst team in the NHL for the past decade the benefit of the doubt should be removed for all levels of management. If you have not demonstrated high and obvious levels of competence, the default should be removal at this point. 4 years...
Chiarelli Part 2 - He was either slow to identify or slow to react to Chiarelli's failures. By the time the Strome, Caggiula and Wideman trades came about, the entire hockey world was clued into how bad a GM Chiarelli was. At the very least a higher level of scrutiny should have been given to review these trades and/or veto them. The fact that he didn't do any of this is on him.
Culture - Public preaches culture and water and accountability, then throws Reider under the bus the very next week. Talk about two faced and not getting what he is preaching.
Trial and error hiring - Admitted that he got the Chia hiring wrong by not interviewing enough candidates. Now it sounds like he's going to interview everybody. But is there really a plan here or is he just going to just try different strategies each time and hopefully he'll hit on a right one eventually? For someone without an NHL background, this isn't inspiring a lot of confidence.

This is who is in charge of hiring the right person to lead the Oilers. Scary right?

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Their PR department needs a rebuild.
There’s a PR department?

If there is then it’s either one of their family members in charge or they don’t listen to them at all. It would take a while to list all the PR blunders that have come out of this team, some of them so bad they still shock you after everything they’ve done over the years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There could very well be a reason for this. Optics don't look good, but who knows what this person actually did behind the scenes.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Meanwhile Coffey makes 500k to be Katz buddy.
This org and every one of their management and mouthpieces is the biggest joke in pro sports

Wasnt Carolina trying to hire a GM for like 500k? lol. And we give Coffey 500k to do nothing? Sweet gig for him but no wonder theres no accountability in the organization. None of the people do anything and when they do something its usually bad, because they are basing their decisions on what players like Reinhart did for the Oil Kings and Petrovic did for the Rebels.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I have been as big a critic of JP as anyone. But you hear this, and listen to Ray Ferraro this last Wednesday on Gregor, and that kid had zero chance coming to this clown show.
Katz and his mouthpieces embarrass themselves daily.

What did Ferraro say?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wasnt Carolina trying to hire a GM for like 500k? lol. And we give Coffey 500k to do nothing? Sweet gig for him but no wonder theres no accountability in the organization. None of the people do anything and when they do something its usually bad, because they are basing their decisions on what players like Reinhart did for the Oil Kings and Petrovic did for the Rebels.
The sad thing with Coffey is it does sound like there was a time he was doing something.

Struds was impressed how he and Benning were out late working on a few things. Unfortunately I never heard a lot of stories like this, but it's something a lot of our guys could use after practice. A skills coach that can tweak a players game.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The sad thing with Coffey is it does sound like there was a time he was doing something.

Struds was impressed how he and Benning were out late working on a few things. Unfortunately I never heard a lot of stories like this, but it's something a lot of our guys could use after practice. A skills coach that can tweak a players game.
The issue I had with Coffey was how committed he was to the job. The guy hadn’t had an NHL gig in about fifteen years before the organization hired him. I saw that as a red flag. Concerned guys like me were told skills coach was just a part time gig and whatever time he had available was fine. It’s disgusting to find out he was being paid $500k for that gig. Are assistant coaches, full time guys that are probably putting in 12 hours a day, seven days a week getting paid that much? They’ve gotta love this. So much wrong with this organization, it never ends. This is just another example.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
There was chatter that the Sens are a worse franchise and Katz is like... "Oh, yeah? watch this.."

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
How about dummy Nicholson announcing, ‘I have 34 names on my list’? Or how about dummy Nicholson still having a job and being involved in the process at all?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Oilers 1 playoff appearance in the last 13.
Senators 7 playoff appearances in the last 13.
Ottawa is MUCH better than the Oilers and their owner is better and that is saying something.

The Senators have been a better hockey team, but it would be dishonest to say they haven't had a much worse couple years when it comes to fiascos and embarrassments.

Reactions: Jamin

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Senators have been a better hockey team, but it would be dishonest to say they haven't had a much worse couple years when it comes to fiascos and embarrassments.

Missing the playoffs with two 100 point players a couple of the best in the league.
The legion of awful trades.
I don't see us any better than the Sens.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Missing the playoffs with two 100 point players a couple of the best in the league.
The legion of awful trades.
I don't see us any better than the Sens.

An assistant GM was arrested and stepped down because of sexual harassment
Karlsson - Hoffman fallout
Players unhappy about Zach Smith's demotion
Team president quiting after only a year
Melnyk blasting fans threatening to move the team in 2017 over ticket sales
The Uber Driver incident

That's off the top of my head. I'm agreeing with you that on the hockey side of things, the Oilers are in a league of their own. But when it comes to dysfunction and headaches, Ottawa has been top of the league the last two years.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Kat$$$$ charging $11 a beer at Oil Kings game.
That whole org and everything associated with it (including sponsors) should be boycotted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad