Oilers fire family Liason to save nickels

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Next, the person that was incumbent was said to have been in the position for 12 yrs and "was very nice"

Well that's nice. In that time frame we've had no end of young players here that have had difficulty fitting in and getting adjusted and among them high profile players like Yakupov and Puljujarvi. But also many others. Take with grain of salt, but I think some context is interesting in that in the very surface of things my first conclusion wouldn't be that this role of helping players settle in and feel part of things in the community here was always being ACHIEVED. I mean just supposition, sure, but its not errant of me to point out players have not seemingly had a lot of help adjusting here.

So the young players can't find their footing because the FAMILY LIASON isn't putting them in nice enough condos and showing them where the hoes at?

Seems to me being "very nice" is maybe the most important quality for that position. 'welcome to Edmonton, so happy to have you, we set the dolphins free years ago'.

Scapegoating the family liason is... An interesting way to go.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So the young players can't find their footing because the FAMILY LIASON isn't putting them in nice enough condos and showing them where the hoes at?

Seems to me being "very nice" is maybe the most important quality for that position. 'welcome to Edmonton, so happy to have you, we set the dolphins free years ago'.

Scapegoating the family liason is... An interesting way to go.

The post was simply speculative. As worded. That you took that to mean something entirely different is your own decision. My post is contained in context of a thread that is jumping to conclusion on what the reason is the person or position was let go (we don't even know for sure which) so my response, as worded, if you look at my two replies is that there could be other reasons, possibly.

I just found it a bit silly that this board will fire anybody else any day of the week, Doctors, trainers, medics, goalie coaches, etc and assume probable and justified grounds, but its a Family Liaison and people lose their shit assuming everything.

ps we didn't set the elephant free..

the elephant is still in the room

Last edited:
Reactions: CanmoreMike

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have been as big a critic of JP as anyone. But you hear this, and listen to Ray Ferraro this last Wednesday on Gregor, and that kid had zero chance coming to this clown show.
Katz and his mouthpieces embarrass themselves daily.

What did Ferraro say?

Like said above, is it actually confirmed to be because of budget cuts or is Nielson the only source for that?

We had only 2 pro scouts, there is no mention of a replacement for the liaison. Katz has always come across as penny wise and dollar foolish in the way that he spends on the team. He should be spending a boatload on scouting, development and in terms of making this a very friendly place for players since it has not been a desired location for some time. Instead I'm sure that if Coffey is making $500K for such a minimal role that the OBC are all making 7 figures. He could probably pay 10 or more scouts with what MacT is making or Howson or whoever. The Gryba buyout is a prime example of putting the team at a disadvantage while saving a few $'s. As I mentioned in another thread we never took on expiring contracts to add picks/prospects while we were in our initial rebuild. Katz looks at the Oilers as a money maker and a way to pay all of his buddies regardless of how good or bad of a job that they are doing. Hopefully the team starts to lose him some $ for a change and maybe then he MIGHT take things a little more seriously.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The post was simply speculative. As worded. That you took that to mean something entirely different is your own decision. My post is contained in context of a thread that is jumping to conclusion on what the reason is the person or position was let go (we don't even know for sure which) so my response, as worded, if you look at my two replies is that there could be other reasons, possibly.

I just found it a bit silly that this board will fire anybody else any day of the week, Doctors, trainers, medics, goalie coaches, etc and assume probable and justified grounds, but its a Family Liaison and people lose their **** assuming everything.

2 pro scouts, 2 guys to cover the entire NHL, AHL and ECHL. Meanwhile MacT undoubtedly was making 7 figures now that we hear what Coffey was pulling in. Make no mistake about it, Katz throws money to the wind when it comes to his OBC buds, the GM and coaching staff, but everywhere else he cuts corners. Chia ****ed up royal, but the Gryba buyout even at the time screamed Katz being cheap to me.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
2 pro scouts, 2 guys to cover the entire NHL, AHL and ECHL. Meanwhile MacT undoubtedly was making 7 figures now that we hear what Coffey was pulling in. Make no mistake about it, Katz throws money to the wind when it comes to his OBC buds, the GM and coaching staff, but everywhere else he cuts corners. Chia ****ed up royal, but the Gryba buyout even at the time screamed Katz being cheap to me.
I'm glad my cousin lost his job so MacT could make 7 figures to do nothing good for the team.

If you want my cousin's name DM me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What did Ferraro say?

We had only 2 pro scouts, there is no mention of a replacement for the liaison. Katz has always come across as penny wise and dollar foolish in the way that he spends on the team. He should be spending a boatload on scouting, development and in terms of making this a very friendly place for players since it has not been a desired location for some time. Instead I'm sure that if Coffey is making $500K for such a minimal role that the OBC are all making 7 figures. He could probably pay 10 or more scouts with what MacT is making or Howson or whoever. The Gryba buyout is prime example of putting the team at a disadvantage while saving a few $'s. As I mentioned in another thread we never took on expiring contracts to add picks/prospects while we were in our initial rebuild. Katz looks at the Oilers as a money maker and a way to pay all of his buddies regardless of how good or bad of a job that they are doing. Hopefully the team starts to lose him some $ for a change and maybe then he MIGHT take things a little more seriously.

The time frame of the Family Liaison position is virtually identical to the timeframe that Katz has owned the team. He funded this position, it wasn't a position prior to him owning the team. I mean theres a lot of reasons to shake a pitchfork at Katz but this probably ain't it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm glad my cousin lost his job so MacT could make 7 figures to do nothing good for the team.

Yup, I know nothing about your cousin but if he was a hard working guy then that is really shameful. Cut people's jobs because idiots like Chia, MacT, Howson and Green took so many dumps in the punch bowl that they have to put the goose that lays the golden eggs on life support.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That pos org will not confirm any fact if it reflects poorly on the org.
So you will never get the truth from them. Cause they botch everything they touch.

The most notable piece of information that I can find about her is she and Chia's wife ran a bake sale one time.

Expecting a press release for a job with that little publicity might be a bit much.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yup, I know nothing about your cousin but if he was a hard working guy then that is really shameful. Cut people's jobs because idiots like Chia, MacT, Howson and Green took so many dumps in the punch bowl that they have to put the goose that lays the golden eggs on life support.
He was a decent guy recommended by one of my other cousins (other side of the family), dude who used to bodyguard for Gretzky.

I just can't believe this fatcat organization sometimes. Always puts those of no use over everyone else.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The time frame of the Family Liaison position is virtually identical to the timeframe that Katz has owned the team. He funded this position, it wasn't a position prior to him owning the team. I mean theres a lot of reasons to shake a pitchfork at Katz but this probably ain't it.

Well I think that it's pretty clear that this is the darkest time that we've seen since he's owned the team with the exception of leading up to the McGoldenTicket. I was just thinking the other day how ****ed this team would be had we not won the lottery and drafted Hanifin instead.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The most notable piece of information that I can find about her is she and Chia's wife ran a bake sale one time.

Expecting a press release for a job with that little publicity might be a bit much.

Actually you and I found some of the same information apparently, because I've run across some of what you've mentioned as well. A few interesting press reader articles, Linked in, Twitter account.

Damn, I feel like a sleuth.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was a decent guy recommended by one of my other cousins (other side of the family), dude who used to bodyguard for Gretzky.

I just can't believe this fatcat organization sometimes. Always puts those of no use over everyone else.

I'd think with the way they've been running things into the ground that they'd value security a little bit more.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Is there anything that comes out about this org that isn’t hilariously inept/embarrassing/sad/pathetic?

They’re a joke. Literally nothing else needs to be said. They have no idea what they’re doing and this team serves only to make money for Katz and to keep the OBC employed. They do NOT care about winning. They don’t. You cannot run a team the way they do and say that winning is a priority. It’s simply not. The goal of this team is to keep Oilers from the 80’s hanging out in the tree fort.

Not sure about your second part but I can't disagree with it.

However your opening is exactly what I feel. Every, and I mean literally EVERY step or thing they do is against the norm, questionable, or downright ridiculous.

With every absurd move, we think... well this is it - rock bottom. Then comes another one!

I am one of those who went through the WHA days and the inception. This org used to do so many things not only right, but trendsetting, forward, and positive. To become the doormat of sports franchises - espescially with a new state of the art arena and, for the second time in hostory, the worlds greatest player - is almost unfathomable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well I think that it's pretty clear that this is the darkest time that we've seen since he's owned the team with the exception of leading up to the McGoldenTicket. I was just thinking the other day how ****ed this team would be had we not won the lottery and drafted Hanifin instead.

You weren't around in 93-94 I take it. ;)

just jk, I know you said since he's owned the team but the darkest time thing threw me into a past loop.

Well at least we'd have Draisaitl anyway. They couldn't spell or pronounce Hanifin

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Next, the person that was incumbent was said to have been in the position for 12 yrs and "was very nice"

Well that's nice. In that time frame we've had no end of young players here that have had difficulty fitting in and getting adjusted and among them high profile players like Yakupov and Puljujarvi. But also many others. Take with grain of salt, but I think some context is interesting in that in the very surface of things my first conclusion wouldn't be that this role of helping players settle in and feel part of things in the community here was always being ACHIEVED. I mean just supposition, sure, but its not errant of me to point out players have not seemingly had a lot of help adjusting here.

A good interesting take on the other side of the argument.

Thanks

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Actually you and I found some of the same information apparently, because I've run across some of what you've mentioned as well. A few interesting press reader articles, Linked in, Twitter account.

Damn, I feel like a sleuth.

Do you have the link?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You weren't around in 93-94 I take it. ;)

just jk, I know you said since he's owned the team but the darkest time thing threw me into a past loop.

Well at least we'd have Draisaitl anyway. They couldn't spell or pronounce Hanifin

IIRC I started to follow the club closely in '96 or so. I know that times were tough, my wife's mom was a STH back then and I heard that times were very lean.

True but I wonder if he reaches his current level of play without practicing with and playing with Connor? He'd still be a damn good player, just maybe not at his current level.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

Stupid question - was your cousin the person in question here or in another position with the organization? How did they feel about working for the Oilers before getting canned?

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Actually, this is. As its so reflective as to what a bush league show they run. From top to bottom

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do you have the link?

Which one? Its not hard to find some. I'm not even on twitter and I found her twitter account. Few pressreader articles, it was a pretty simple google. Sometimes I'll click on images as well for some different hits to articles.

Once you google Jill Metz Oilers family liaison the hits are there.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Stupid question - was your cousin the person in question here or in another position with the organization? How did they feel about working for the Oilers before getting canned?
He was a security guard, usually posted by the metal detectors. I'd have to check with him but he didn't seem to have any major beefs prior to being let go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad