Oilers fire family Liason to save nickels

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Is there anything that comes out about this org that isn’t hilariously inept/embarrassing/sad/pathetic?

They’re a joke. Literally nothing else needs to be said. They have no idea what they’re doing and this team serves only to make money for Katz and to keep the OBC employed. They do NOT care about winning. They don’t. You cannot run a team the way they do and say that winning is a priority. It’s simply not. The goal of this team is to keep Oilers from the 80’s hanging out in the tree fort.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
We all hate on the OBC but imagine being part of it. Get to make millions for being incompetent and you’ll never lose your job. The dream

Yep, weren't there reports of Coffey not even being in Edmonton more than a handful of times the entire season since he was in toronto or something watching his son?

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
The irony here is that all of the OBC watched their team destroyed by lazy, cheap, and divisive policies put forth by Peter Pocklington that alienated fans and players. They all left town wishing nothing but the worst for the guy. Today they sit on that side of the table, they are all handsomely rewarded, and see nothing wrong with what they are doing.

Embarrassing.

I'll add - they might want to get those STH renewals out sooner than later - the way things are going this franchise might even have DRL people walking away.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
This team only became a joke after Katz bought them.
Daryl Alan Katz was the worst thing to happen to Edmonton Oilers Hockey Team.

I wonder if any of the original investors have opinions on what he is doing - and if they are allowed to share them publicly.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I wonder if any of the original investors have opinions on what he is doing - and if they are allowed to share them publicly.
Why do they care?, some got thier money and some were strong armed into selling their shares, and are bitter.
We can all crow, and cry about OBC, but as long as Katz owns this team, any new mgmt. will run this team the same way it has been run this past 11 years. period.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Meanwhile Coffey makes 500k to be Katz buddy.
This org and every one of their management and mouthpieces is the biggest joke in pro sports

sounds like the season ticket situation is more dire than they wanted to admit. Guess beers will be 14 bucks next year.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
OK, before people go crazy here this is a Spector leak. That deserves some axe grinding 2nd guessing in itself. Next, there's no details, just Spector or Dustin Neilson supposition that the Family Liaison (correct spelling) was fired due to belt tightening.

Of course a person can be fired for any number of reasons, and relative to these positions there could be a lot of other reasons. Which theres no need for me to go into here.

But man, You guys know I have a short fuse and yet I'd like a few more details (which we probably won't get) before burning down the house on an issue so small in the scheme of things.

For all we know the players themselves or wives organized a meet and greet committee (the wives did do something like this) and maybe that was deemed to be more helpful as a welcome wagon, and getting new players, families familiarized.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Next, the person that was incumbent was said to have been in the position for 12 yrs and "was very nice"

Well that's nice. In that time frame we've had no end of young players here that have had difficulty fitting in and getting adjusted and among them high profile players like Yakupov and Puljujarvi. But also many others. Take with grain of salt, but I think some context is interesting in that in the very surface of things my first conclusion wouldn't be that this role of helping players settle in and feel part of things in the community here was always being ACHIEVED. I mean just supposition, sure, but its not errant of me to point out players have not seemingly had a lot of help adjusting here.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
OK, before people go crazy here this is a Spector leak. That deserves some axe grinding 2nd guessing in itself. Next, there's no details, just Spector supposition that the Family Liaison (correct spelling) was fired due to belt tightening.

Of course a person can be fired for any number of reasons, and relative to these positions there could be a lot of other reasons. Which theres no need for me to go into here.

But man, You guys know I have a short fuse and yet I'd like a few more details (which we probably won't get) before burning down the house on an issue so small in the scheme of things.

For all we know the players themselves or wives organized a meet and greet (the wives did do this) and that was deemed to be more helpful as a welcome wagon, and getting new players, families familiarized.

Very fair comment.

The issue with this team will remain that until the optics at the top are changed whenever the team does something like this, and it gets out to the public, the Oilers will be burned at the stake for it.

The TB Lightning could be announcing the exact same thing today and many would call them cutting edge, how old school and outdated the Family Liaison is and how there are better solutions. Why would they get that respect but the Oilers don't? The Lightning have been a better run organization the last 16 years than the Oilers.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, I'm not really sure this is a big deal.

It was definitely an important job back in 2007(a surprisingly smart move by Lowe), but if you read her list of tasks(finding doctors, realtors, restaurants, landscapers, etc. for the players) it basically sounds like her job was made obsolete by the internet.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Also, I wonder if it's a coincidence that she shares the same last name as long-time Oilers broadcast exec, Don Metz?

Would be kind of funny if a tweet intended to take a shot at the OBC was actually about the firing of a relative of one of the oldest boys in the OBC.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
I have been as big a critic of JP as anyone. But you hear this, and listen to Ray Ferraro this last Wednesday on Gregor, and that kid had zero chance coming to this clown show.
Katz and his mouthpieces embarrass themselves daily.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Also, I wonder if it's a coincidence that she shares the same last name as long-time Oilers broadcast exec, Don Metz?

Would be kind of funny if a tweet intended to take a shot at the OBC was actually about the firing of a relative of one of the oldest boys in the OBC.
if it was a job performance issue then why the reference to budget cuts though. Wouldn't the oiler way be to hold a presser and announce the results of their audit revealed the seasons failure was because the new team members couldn't find their favorite fast food joint in town.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
if it was a job performance issue then why the reference to budget cuts though. Wouldn't the oiler way be to hold a presser and announce the results of their audit revealed the seasons failure was because the new team members couldn't find their favorite fast food joint in town.

Like said above, is it actually confirmed to be because of budget cuts or is Nielson the only source for that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad