Friedman: Oilers discussed trading late round pick for Martin Jones, Flyers looking for more

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think the oilers need a clear upgrade. Not sure if that’s doable now though. Seems most major goaltending moves are made in the off-season. But that’s just my impression.

This is why I think Holland is only willing to trade a late round pick right now. Nothing available right now is going to be a lot better than what we have unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Oh man, imagine thinking Martin Jones is going to save McDavid's season.

he's not even a number 1 in Philly, and he wasn't even signed to be a number 1..... he went into the UFA market probably knowing he will be picked up as a back up goalie, lol.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This is why I think Holland is only willing to trade a late round pick right now. Nothing available right know is going to be a lot better than what we have unfortunately.
Might as well just stick with Koskinen, no? He has been pretty good lately and the team seems to be rallying around him (and maybe kind of against the coach for how he has thrown Koskinen under the bus…maybe I’m over-thinking it?)

Reactions: Stubu

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Maybe Chuck Fletcher is trying to make up for losing all the trades he made in the offseason (except for the Atkinson for Voracek trade).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Daily reminder that they still need a goalie for the next 5 years before he's ready, and now they have Xavier Bourgault chilling in the pipeline instead

Sure, but I feel like Wallstedt would be a more desirable piece in a trade than Bougault if trying to pry out a goalie in this market.
This point is moot though if the rumors are true that Holland isn't seemingly interested in spending more than around a 3rd round pick for a goalie.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Holland should be targeting Carter Hart if he is available. Probably has inquired about him if we can take Elliott at face value (and we should).

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Might as well just stick with Koskinen, no? He has been pretty good lately and the team seems to be rallying around him (and maybe kind of against the coach for how he has thrown Koskinen under the bus…maybe I’m over-thinking it?)
You are. He played great against Calgary, which is common for him to do (play 1 good game in about 10 to get faith in him again). He was fighting it last night, but made a massive save to essentially save the game before they tied it up.

Koskinen is a fine backup goalie you play once every 4-5 games and he will give you a good start, he can’t be relied on though.

They will have to stick with him, but not by choice, but because there isn’t an option out there right now worth giving up assets for.

Reactions: TFHockey

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
The Oilers window to win is this year for sure maybe next year. Imo they need a current proven goalie who is playing lights out.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You are. He played great against Calgary, which is common for him to do (play 1 good game in about 10 to get faith in him again). He was fighting it last night, but made a massive save to essentially save the game before they tied it up.

Koskinen is a fine backup goalie you play once every 4-5 games and he will give you a good start, he can’t be relied on though.

They will have to stick with him, but not by choice, but because there isn’t an option out there right now worth giving up assets for.

That pretty much sums up Koskinen prefectly.

I'd like to add he seems popular with the guys in the dressing room. Draisaitl has made a point of pumping Kosk up on his instagram feed.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Sure, but I feel like Wallstedt would be a more desirable piece in a trade than Bougault if trying to pry out a goalie in this market.
This point is moot though if the rumors are true that Holland isn't seemingly interested in spending more than around a 3rd round pick for a goalie.

Ummm.... where did you get that from?

At most you could surmise that Holland isn't willing to trade more than a late round pick for Martin Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad