Friedman: Oilers discussed trading late round pick for Martin Jones, Flyers looking for more

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Is he though?
Koskinen is not a terribly good goalie but he plays behind a team that doesn't put much focus into defence. I'm not sure Jones would fare any better in that spot.
Jones is 45th-50th best G in the league. Koskinen at his confidence level has not been that the last 6 weeks. Its a band aid for a late pick. But its not an answer.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Sure, except the McDavid-Draisaitl cup window is now, not 7 years from now. As far as prospects go Skinner and Konovalov aren't bad ones either.
The situation isn't going to get any better this season as the Oilers are close to being sellers at the deadline - without actually having any expiring contracts worth trading out as rentals.

They should just hold on to whatever picks they have left and then develop the goalies they choose.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The only way this makes sense to me as a Flyers fan is if we were being asked to take Koskinen’s contract as part of it. That could justify a late pick not being enough. Otherwise, lol Chuckles.

Reactions: ujju2

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Good ol’ Oilers. Even in must win now mode they still don’t want to part with anything of substance to bolster their roster. Always just spinning the wheels.

Like damn, at some point you gotta part with a 1st rounder or a good prospect, your team is counting on the help

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sure, except the McDavid-Draisaitl cup window is now, not 7 years from now. As far as prospects go Skinner and Konovalov aren't bad ones either.
If their window is now, Jones sure as hell isn’t your answer. He’s been one of the worst goalies in the league for a while now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Good ol’ Oilers. Even in must win now mode they still don’t want to part with anything of substance to bolster their roster. Always just spinning the wheels.

Like damn, at some point you gotta part with a 1st rounder or a good prospect, your team is counting on the help
I don't think Jones counts as "bolstering the roster".

Reactions: bernmeister

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think Jones counts as "bolstering the roster".
Yes, I know. Hence why I said they need to part with something of substance. A late round pick is not substance, it’s garbage. Holland is doing a huge disservice to McDavid by not forking over value to boost the team

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hes not the target I'd want but I'd welcome anyone at this point.

Plus, do this move now, try him out, and if he fails try again with real assets at the deadline

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
getting Jones would be idiotic and a clear panic move. he's not even an upgrade and its debatable that he's a downgrade

the oilers are better off giving starts to Skinner and seeing what they have in him

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Clearly I've been under a rock and didn't even realize Jones was with Philly now.

Flyers are an irrelevant team so it's not surprising

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Classic Oilers

Oh man I love the Oilers

Lol, Kenny Holland God bless him.

Actually, the quote is:

3. If Philadelphia had been willing to take a late-round pick for Martin Jones, it’s possible he would already be an Edmonton Oiler. But the Flyers wanted something better and felt the market will strengthen as we get closer to the deadline. Name a goalie -- Alexander Georgiev, Braden Holtby, Ville Husso, Anton Khudobin, Joonas Korpisalo, Vitek Vanecek, Semyon Varlamov -- they looked at it. There undoubtedly are others, rentals, non-rentals, you name it.

So Holland offered the flyers a late pick (does that mean 5th? 6th? 7th?) and they didn't bite. Holland has looked at a ton of other goaltenders. Seems to me he wouldn't overpay for a middling guy like Martin Jones. So while you make you dumb Oilers joke, Holland actually is doing the right thing. He is looking at everything, rentals and non rentals to improve the back end.

Not one word was said about about not offering a good asset for a good goaltender. Martin Jones is obviously a band aid solution. He isn't worth more than a 6th round pick to me.

The other names, had you bothered to read the article, are worth more. Who knows what he offered?

Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad