Friedman: Oilers discussed trading late round pick for Martin Jones, Flyers looking for more

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Would he be an upgrade to Koskinen? Seems a lateral move tbh.
Honestly, even if he's not an upgrade, if he doesn't let in early weak goals and weak goals at the exact wrong time, we'll take him (if he's cheap). That's the problem with Koski - he'll make incredible saves, but almost always lets in a weak one early in the first period, and often another weak one either with a one goal lead or in a tie game in the late 2nd or 3rd period. Really deflates the team.

Edit: To clarify, I really don't want Jones. I'm just saying, at this point, nearly anything would be an upgrade on Koskinen.

Reactions: Stubu and egelband

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Jones hasn’t been near as bad as advertised this year, he’s even had some 35+ save games where he has been really sharp and positionally sound. I’d still be shaking my head as an Oiler fan. He’s not likely to move the needle too much from Koskinen.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He might actually be a downgrade.
I think the oilers need a clear upgrade. Not sure if that’s doable now though. Seems most major goaltending moves are made in the off-season. But that’s just my impression.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Jones hasn’t been near as bad as advertised this year, he’s even had some 35+ save games where he has been really sharp and positionally sound. I’d still be shaking my head as an Oiler fan. He’s not likely to move the needle too much from Koskinen.
Goaltenders are tough to scout. They can probably all make all the saves when they’re “on”. But the top tier are almost always “on”. The consistency is the difference. And it’s doubly-difficult for a goalie who’s not getting consistent action. Backup goalie is as tough a job as there is in hockey, I think.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems kind of moronic tbh. Like, Jones has shown this year that he is still a decent, capable goaltender. But he needs to be in the right sort of system and situation. He's the exact opposite sort of goaltender the Oilers need, with the way they (don't) defend. Someone like Jones needs predictable outcomes. The Oilers are a team that like San Jose where he flamed out, give up high quality scoring opportunities in a high ratio relative to overall shots against. Jones is the sort of goaltender who looks better in an AV sort of system, where you may give up a crapload of shots...but they're generally pretty low quality on average. That's what he's built for, and always has been. Not the weird hero save stuff the Oilers actually need, when their lax defensive system coughs up those prime opportunities the goaltender is the only one capable of saving.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Jones is better than Koskinen so as a band aid. its a no brainer.
If Holland thinks either Smith or Jones can win 2 rounds in playoffs ummmm good luck.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I will never understand why Holland, who so desperately needs to improve his team, is so unwilling to part with value to actually improve his team. You have to give up value to get value.

This team could've had borderline Vezina nominee Kuemper like 2-3 years ago and they didn't do s*** because Holland was too stubborn to part with a 1st round pick. He is going to find himself out of a job soon unless hes starts paying up to get valuable players around your two stars. You arent going to get anywhere if you keep trying to acquire these crap players for pennies, hoping for some resurgence. You really think an awful goalie like Jones is going to improve behind that roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad