GDT: Oilers @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Due to you guys playing so well and Mike Rupp being a regular Wednesday guest of the day on local radio we hear quite a bit about the Devils this year.

What would you say is your biggest concern with your club, as no one seems to be able to find a hole. Local radio guy even dug into a lot of advanced stats and the best he could come up with was a non advanced stat that said you had the 21st ranked PP, but followed it up with saying it is 20% so it's really not that bad lol.
My biggest concern is us the fans, and hoping we don't turn into targets like Toronto fans because of our responses to winning.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
So... I think they're a different team with Kane. He really is everything McDavid needs to succeed.

Also, Skinner is better than he showed tonight.

They have Nurse, Hyman, Foegle and RNH, ... But they are still a couple of Dmen and a couple of forwards away.
I agree - Edmonton wins a cup at some point. Reality is McDrai + Skinner (or rando goalie) going god mode could do it for them at any point.

The trade deadline can change a lot of things, too. IMO what they need is someone like Marino / Siegs who can end plays and transition to McDrai.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My biggest concern is us the fans, and hoping we don't turn into targets like Toronto fans because of our responses to winning.
Lol, no one is going to turn into targets like Toronto fans.
I agree - Edmonton wins a cup at some point. Reality is McDrai + Skinner (or rando goalie) going god mode could do it for them at any point.

The trade deadline can change a lot of things, too. IMO what they need is someone like Marino / Siegs who can end plays and transition to McDrai.
Defense is our issue, I've said that for many years. I also did say we should give the young guys a go this year and see if any can take the next step.

Granted our depth scoring isn't there and with Kane out it hurts a lot, but our defense needs to be able to move the puck quicker. Some guys also need to be a little smarter with their positioning.

I do think if by after x-mas someone doesn't step up that Holland will be forced to make a trade on the back end.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't think Edmonton will be able to put together the right roster in time (the next three and four years) and McDavid and/or Draisaitl will leave in UFA. Ditto for Toronto and Matthews.

Feels like PIT from 2010-2015 all over again, where very few reinforcements are coming internally so they have to trade/sign the complementary guys. Not a winning formula.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think Edmonton will be able to put together the right roster in time (the next three and four years) and McDavid and/or Draisaitl will leave in UFA. Ditto for Toronto and Matthews.

Feels like PIT from 2010-2015 all over again, where very few reinforcements are coming internally so they have to trade/sign the complementary guys. Not a winning formula.
This is why we should not trade our draft picks.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
This is why we should not trade our draft picks.
Yeah, I think that's not lost on Fitz, and our draft last year was a good course correction after two meh years.

Bratt - 6th, Sharangovich - 5th, Wood - 4th, Boqvist - 2nd, Zetterlund - 3rd, plus they used Maltsev, Anderson, etc. as trade chips. It pays off to keep the line flowing.

I don't even know if I see us doing Lekhonen / Coleman type deals. If we let go of a 1st, I think it would be in a package for a star player.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, I think that's not lost on Fitz, and our draft last year was a good course correction after two meh years.

Bratt - 6th, Sharangovich - 5th, Wood - 4th, Boqvist - 2nd, Zetterlund - 3rd, plus they used Maltsev, Anderson, etc. as trade chips. It pays off to keep the line flowing.

I don't even know if I see us doing Lekhonen / Coleman type deals. If we let go of a 1st, I think it would be in a package for a star player.
I don't think we'll trade a first for any player we don't think will be with the team for at least three seasons.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

pitt won the cup 16-17 sure its outside your time frame but still relied on basically the same formula. oilers did just make the conference finals last year and the leafs are stuck in the hardest division in hockey where the bolts have made 3 straight finals. anything is possible but i doubt those guys mentioned leave via ufa unless they absolutely hate the cities they are in.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Most superstars players usually win a championship. Of course there’s been exceptions in all sports.

Reactions: tailfins

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Due to you guys playing so well and Mike Rupp being a regular Wednesday guest of the day on local radio we hear quite a bit about the Devils this year.

What would you say is your biggest concern with your club, as no one seems to be able to find a hole. Local radio guy even dug into a lot of advanced stats and the best he could come up with was a non advanced stat that said you had the 21st ranked PP, but followed it up with saying it is 20% so it's really not that bad lol.
IMO the only two questions are if they can stay healthy (which applies to everyone) and whether Vanecek is just on a hot streak or if this is a true breakout season for him. Even if Vanecek regresses to what he was in Washington though, the goaltending isn't going to be the issue that it was last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

By the same token they gave up a former 1 and a 3 for Marino, plus two threes and a swap of 2’s to the Caps for Siegs and Vanecek. I’d say those were pretty good uses of trading picks.

Reactions: billingtons ghost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad