Confirmed with Link: Oilers Claim Valentin Zykov

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Highly doubt it at that price tag. I'd bet good money if they waived him he'd clear.

Lots of players would clear waivers but would still be tradeable assets as long as the deal includes a player coming back. Not sure why everyone is crapping on Spooner already anyway, the guy has shown some talent in the past, its just impatience that has people wanting him shipped out.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
-Not a great skater ( think worse than Bobby Ryan)
- Decent hard shot and can score in tight
- likes playing in front of the net
-big body that's hard to move

He could help a 2nd unit power play for sure.

Hes kind of in that 4A prospect group ( Ty Rattie, Chris Terry) where your not sure if hes an NHler or just a really good AHLer

Hope he works out

Reactions: Aerrol

space321

May 11, 2011
This should be a better pickup than Spooner or Wideman lol.

Much smarter to go for younger players who might still improve rather than 26 or 28 year old castoffs. Seriously I didn't understand how people can get excited about getting a 28 year old defenseman who couldn't even crack the roster of the team that's given up 100 goals already.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm very surprised people want to pen this guy in with McDavid after the year Chiasson is having so far. You ride Chiasson until that well runs dry, then try Zykov up there.

Drai - McDavid - Chiasson
Zykov - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Brodziak - Kassian
Lucic - Spooner - Rattie
Khaira

Idk, something like that.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Lots of players would clear waivers but would still be tradeable assets as long as the deal includes a player coming back. Not sure why everyone is crapping on Spooner already anyway, the guy has shown some talent in the past, its just impatience that has people wanting him shipped out.

Yup pretty unfair due to the trade optics from Eberle to Strome to Spooner - hopefully he can produce soon. Also doesn't help he's a $3.1M cap hit which can be better utilized in the off-season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
-Not a great skater ( think worse than Bobby Ryan)
- Decent hard shot and can score in tight
- likes playing in front of the net
-big body that's hard to move

He could help a 2nd unit power play for sure.

Hes kind of in that 4A prospect group ( Ty Rattie, Chris Terry) where your not sure if hes an NHler or just a really good AHLer

Hope he works out
Rattie must really be shaking his head now. Do we have to now send someone down? I'd assume Russell

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

I'm not crapping on him at all. I'm just saying, he wouldn't get claimed at that price. The guy has proven he can pretty much only produce with top level linemates. So unless a team has a glaring hole in their top 6, nobody is going to give up assets for him. He will provide very little for us in the bottom 6.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yup pretty unfair due to the trade optics from Eberle to Strome to Spooner - hopefully he can produce soon. Also doesn't help he's a $3.1M cap hit which can be better utilized in the off-season.
3.1M is definitely better use on signing Dzingel or Ferland

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not crapping on him at all. I'm just saying, he wouldn't get claimed at that price. The guy has proven he can pretty much only produce with top level linemates. So unless a team has a glaring hole in their top 6, nobody is going to give up assets for him. He will provide very little for us in the bottom 6.
I think once Reider comes back our current 3rd line becomes the 4th line and they create another offense line for line 3.

Mcdavid, RNH, Spooner down the middle
Reider, LD, Chiasson, JP, Zykov, Rattie, Caggiula, Jujhar on the wings.

Reactions: Oilhawks

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Sounds like you're describing the Oilers. I think we should give him a little more time before shipping him out for nothing.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I think once Reider comes back our current 3rd line becomes the 4th line and they create another offense line for line 3.

Mcdavid, RNH, Spooner down the middle
Reider, LD, Chiasson, JP, Zykov, Rattie, Caggiula, Jujhar on the wings.

You're not going to get any sort of offensive production from him unless he's playing with McDavid,Draisaitl or Nuge. And even Nuge is iffy. He produced in Boston playing with elite players. He's not going to give you anything centering the likes of Rattie, Khaira or Caggiula.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wow, I didn't think we had a hope in hell of getting this guy. Almost zero risk to this.

Put him on that third line with either Kassian and Brodziak or Lucic and Brodziak. They know how to bang around, just can't finish. This guy has obviously proven he can do so at the AHL level.

I highly doubt that Hitchcock breaks up that line, that line is his baby.

I think we'll see him on the 4th line for a few games then will be the first one to jump up to the top line if/when Chiasson's offense dries up or perhaps LW on the Nuge line since Cagguila can blend in on any line?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Sounds like you're describing the Oilers. I think we should give him a little more time before shipping him out for nothing.

I'm not suggesting we ship him out for nothing. I'm not even suggesting we ship him out at all. I'm just stating the facts. The guy isn't going to do anything for us in the bottom 6. He needs to play with skill.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

He is now connected to the Eberle trade. Some posters will likely never recover emotionally from that trade it seems.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
So Russell gets sent back now and when Rieder comes back bye bye Rattie or i guess Garrison (don't get the point to keep 8 D)

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm not suggesting we ship him out for nothing. I'm not even suggesting we ship him out at all. I'm just stating the facts. The guy isn't going to do anything for us in the bottom 6. He needs to play with skill.

Yeah, I get that, but others have & your post I quoted was the best to illustrate why we shouldn't quite yet.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder if the Oilers are at a point where they can roll three scoring lines:

Zykov - McDavid - Chiasson (two wingers who can finish, mcdavid can carry the play)
Caggiula - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Draisaitl - Spooner
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian

Khaira/Rattie on the outside looking in?

Not that Drai would play 3rd line minutes in this scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad