Confirmed with Link: Oilers Claim Valentin Zykov

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wow. Chia is so active with these buy low options these days. Haven't seen much of Zykov, here's some AHL highlights:

Right shot Russian Sniper? I like.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Nice! He's a project obviously, but he's shown that he can score at the AHL level.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nice! He's a project obviously, but he's shown that he can score at the AHL level.

3 goals, 7 points in 10 games in the NHL last season too. Small sample size of course but I remember Canes fans speaking very highly of him this offseason pegging him to be a breakout candidate.

Apparently he wasn't getting an opportunity in Carolina this season. This guy is the definition of a Hitch player so I bet he had a big voice in making this claim and will give him top 6 opportunities.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers were 9th in line on the waiver wire, so Zykov passed 8 teams.
Zykov had the most goals in the AHL last season.
Zykov had 7 points in 10 games in the NHL last season playing decent minutes.
Only 3 points in 13 games this year but playing limited minutes.
Zykov is in the first year of a 2 year - one way contract at 675K
Looks like he's got a good shot
Looks like he's comfortable in front of the net digging for dirty goals too.

Really liking this buy low move. Have to give credit to Chia for the pure VOLUME of moves he makes. More bullets in the barrel means we hit the mark eventually.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Nice pickup, a Hitchcock-style player with a nose for goals, low cap hit, alleviates our dearth of wingers a bit.

Will be interesting to see where he plays. I'd be tempted to play him with Lucic and Brodziak, despite how well Kassian has done, seems that's what that line needs most, someone who can finish, and he seems able to play the same style.

Maybe a few games on the 4th line first to acclimate to his new team/coach.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Oilers were 9th in line on the waiver wire, so Zykov passed 8 teams.
Zykov had the most goals in the AHL last season.
Zykov had 7 points in 10 games in the NHL last season playing decent minutes.
Only 3 points in 13 games this year but playing limited minutes.
Zykov is in the first year of a 2 year - one way contract at 675K
Looks like he's got a good shot
Looks like he's comfortable in front of the net digging for dirty goals too.

Really liking this buy low move. Have to give credit to Chia for the pure VOLUME of moves he makes. More bullets in the barrel means we hit the mark eventually.
He also appears to have decent size and he's a Right Shot.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Wow, I didn't think we had a hope in hell of getting this guy. Almost zero risk to this.

Put him on that third line with either Kassian and Brodziak or Lucic and Brodziak. They know how to bang around, just can't finish. This guy has obviously proven he can do so at the AHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad